walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

I fell 370 feet yesterday and I'm still here!!

I fell 370 feet yesterday and I'm still here!!

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:51 am

I kicked my backside into gear yesterday and forced myself to get out there and get up a hill, it was still damn hot but I thought I would have a nice steady day on a straightforward mountain. I picked out a moderate 8000 footer, sent a text to Sarah telling her where I would be and set off.

It was a wonderful hike getting some beautiful photos as I ascended until I was about 100metres from the summit where I saw a herd of mountain goats and stopped to take a photo, they looked stunning walking the very edge of the ridge with blue skies behind them and I was glad of the break on the steep final section.

As I looked through the lens and composed the shot the entire ground upon which I was standing gave way in spectacular fashion. A huge chunk of rocky ground about 4 metres x 4 metres began sliding down the mountain with me in the middle of it, in less than a second it broke up into pieces and threw me backwards down the slope.

I was then in real trouble, my feet flew back over my head and I was suddenly doing backward somersaults with rocks bouncing all around and off my skin, even in the midst of the fall I was aware of the hits. Scrabbling for any kind of fall arrest just tore at the skin on my hands, finally after what seemed like minutes (but was only a second or two) I scrambled round so I was at facing uphill and sliding down on my front on an moving blanket of rocks. I took hold of the bottom section of my 1 remaining walking pole with both hands and dug it into the mountain in a standard fall arrest movement (as you would with an ice axe in winter) The tungsten tip dug in momentarily before kicking out, the carbon pole flexing and bucking under the stress, I pushed down hard with every ounce of effort I had and slowly jerked and bucked to a stop.

I was disorientated, trying to take stock of injuries and situation, I was still holding all of my weight in both hands as I involuntarily vomited then hung there as the fluids ran down the slope straight onto me...nice. I began to tremble quite badly, I'm not sure if that was the puking, adrenalin, shock or what but it was an incredibly unpleasant experience.

Then as I lay there, trembling, hurting from just about everywhere, bleeding from various locations and still in trouble a tiny mosquito landed on my bare arm and dug right in, with both hands holding the pole I could do nothing but watch, I suddenly said out loud "you lousy, opportunistic little bastard"....then I laughed, I laughed a lot, relieved perhaps that I hadn't fallen further where I can now see, a few metres below me, a dry waterfall with a 15 foot drop.

The laughing made me realise I was ok...ish. I slowly scrambled sidewards/downwards swearing very, very much with every movement. I found a less threatening area and sat taking stock, all of my joints seemed to be working ok but I was banged up, particularly my right hip and left knee. Strangely my daft hat and sunglasses were still on my head, my camera and the attached 'virtually new' £2k lens were gone, my bear spray and flares were gone too. I found I still had my GPS, phone, wallet and car keys so I tagged the GPS then turned it off so I could measure the fall later...I later discovered that I had tumbled for 114.7metres (370 feet) no wonder it seemed like a long time. The bad news was I had hiked 7.2km and though my fall would shorten the return a little I still had a hell of a hike out in my condition. The image below is a screen grab from the GPS unit showing the route to the fall.

I had no option but to follow the dry melt-water channel as ascending anything was out of the question, I pulled myself together and began the slow progress down the channel toward my inward route. I found the lens cap from my camera hundreds of feet later, then trapped in the rocks the camera itself, sans lens.

I was strangely pleased to find the camera body and sat a while examining it, hoping that I might rescue the photos I'd got so far, unfortunately the door to the CF Card slot was broken off and the card was gone. I glanced around the area hoping to see it but was in no shape to go looking so it stayed somewhere on the mountain. I couldn't even save the battery as it too was scattered.

I was surprised to see the screen was still in one piece, and put the camera back into my camera bag and continued on down the slope.

Another few hundred feet and I found my lens, bent in the middle so it would no longer extend, the front two pieces of glass gone and the next one shattered and the rear connection torn off.....it was a sad sight but as I was hurting like hell I didn't care too much. I felt a bit better when I found my other pole, then the bear spray and my flare box, I felt like I'd gained something every 50 feet or so.

the long journey back to the car was the most miserable hike I have ever made, really hurting like hell and feeling sick and dizzy it took me 3.5 hours to cover a downhill distance I would normally make in less than half that time.

When I finally got home Sarah gave me a hard time about walking alone in the mountains before running me a bath and looking after me. Today I woke up at 04:00 after repeatedly waking up during the night from rolling on my injuries, nothing is too bad though, I got lucky....very, very lucky so once I get rid of these (and the others I'm not showing on a family site) I'll be right back out there. :wink:

I would be interested to know if anyone else has ever had a huge stable lump like that just give way underneath them, I put it down to the post winter freeze/melt (just ended around here at this height) loosening it and my weight was enough to finish it off. I'm not sure how I could have avoided this as it was the 'safest' piece of rock on the ridge.....for a few moments at least :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: I fell 370 feet yesterday and I'm still here!!

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:43 am

Jesus...That woke me from my bleary eyed start this morning. Glad you are OK
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Lenore » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:20 am

Oh my god, glad you are still here to tell the tale!!!! What a scary ordeal!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 am

Yikes! Glad you're okay, doesn't seem like there was any way of avoiding the situation if the ground just gave way though.

Whilst I understand the concerns that loved ones have about it, I'm not convinced it would have made much of a difference if you weren't walking solo. Seems it's just a case of reacting as best you can.

Really glad you're still more or less in one piece still. Good luck when you're back to full fitness.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby mountainstar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 am

Sounds like you are lucky to be alive...might have been a tale of out 1st WH member killed on a hill walk, and possibly missing for a long time by the sounds of where you fell?
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby clivegrif » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 am

OUCH!!

Glad you made it out in (almost) one piece. Apart from being banged about, it sounds like a serious dose of shock too. It just goes to show that you can never take anything for granted, and that sometimes luck doesn't go your way.

Fortunately I've never had a whole lump of ground move underneath me like that - and hopefully it will be your one and only time. The closest I've come was noticing that a large lump of pinnacle had broken away as I was about to stand on it - that could have led to shooting over the edge of An Teallach - and having to get off a snow slope fairly quickly when we noticed large cracks.

Have to say I'm glad you're still with us!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Gavin99 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 am

Glad you are OK Chris , sounds like you got off lightly with a few bumps and bruises , bad luck on the rock giving way , very very good luck after that , it's hard to believe you walked away from that one .
Hope you recover soon and get back out there !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 am

Hell's teeth, Chris, that's a nasty one! Glad you are still in one piece after that...... :shock:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 am

:shock:

That sounded just utterly terrifying, and amazing that you could walk out of it. Just yesterday? You must still be quite shaken up. So glad you are ok.

Brought a wry smile to read that even after that you were so keen to find your camera memory card - I'm obsessed with not losing any photos as well.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 am

Oh I was so upset reading that, just glad you're ok Chris :(
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 am

Glad you're ok Chris. At least a camera and parts can be replaced, although I know the feeling when you lose a memory card. Thank goodness your injuries werent much worse.

Im about to venture out on my own later this month for the first time, so read this with interest.

Once again, glad you are ok.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby neilmci » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 am

I hope no one uses your GPX file without reading the report!

I understand the vomitting thing can be as a result of too much adrenalin hitting your system.

Happened to me once or twice after other "non hill related" incidents. But that is a whole other tale.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby Steve B » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 am

Wow that was close. Glad you made it without serious injury, apart from the kit.
Hope you are not out of action for too long.
Get well :)
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby skuk007 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am

OMG Chris, that sounds really scary, and like others have said I don't think there is anything you could have done to avoid it. Sounds like it was going to happen to whoever was the next person (or goat) to stand on it.

Glad you're ok though and I hope you're up and about soon. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bod » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:12 am

First of all Chris, I am so glad your injuries still allowed you to be able to get up and get out of there! Recover well and look after yourself :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion