walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lowa Stirling GTX

Lowa Stirling GTX

Postby meangarry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi folks, Looking to purchase a new pair of boots and I'm also looking to get out a little more this winter. Therefore I'll probably be looking for a boot to take a c1 crampon. Will these? With a discount I can get them for £144 8)

I also spotted some Scarpa mountain boots going cheap on go outdoors, £70, although they are only available reserve and collect. Nearest store to me that has them is manchester 136 miles away! Pesky reserve and collect! :-x

Any suggestions? Any mancunians fancy posting them up??? :wink:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Lowa Stirling GTX

Postby electricfly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm

The Lowa Stirling GTX seems a good sturdy 3 season boot. Some reviews suggest it should be rated as a 3 to 4 season boot, however as this review below suggests, it's performance above the snowline doesn't really cut the mustard. :problem:

"The Lowa Stirling GTX has been available for a number of years and it’s often reviewed in Trail as a 3-season boot. However, like the Mammut Mount Trail XT, it has now been submitted by the manufacturer for inclusion in the 3-4 season category. It is made using a full leather upper with minimal stitching to increase durability, and there is a full rubber rand around the whole boot for even more durability. Inside there is a Gore-Tex waterproof lining so the upper offers plenty of protection. Underfoot there is a Vibram sole that is good for walking over rocky ground with a reasonable lug pattern for general traction in soft terrain. Use the Lowa Stirling GTX for 3-season hill and mountain walking and it is a reasonable option with plenty of support for the foot and a good grip for use below the snowline. But the toe box is quite soft on the top, which is not ideal with crampons. The lug pattern on some boots is a little better for tackling muddy soft snow and slush too. The toe-to-heel flex is softer than other B1 boots and so this is really better suited to use below the snow rather than on the snow."

As well as having a soft toe box, you would have to check the stiffness of the sole for reliable crampon use. I recall winter hiking with a friend who was confident that his stiff, Scandinavian leather boots would cope admirably with C1 crampons. They didn't and he was constantly re-adjusting his straps before realising that he'd bent his crampons connector plate. :(

Hope this helps EF.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby brpro26 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:00 am

The Lowa Sterling are the boots I'm using just now. Unless your going ice climbing there fine with flexible crampon B1, I've got the Grivel Airtech and haven't had a problem using them on the boot. The toe box seems solid enough to me, kicking in steps is no bother...walk at the back it's easier.
They get a bit moist inside, unless it's just my sweaty feet and the rand is seperating a wee bit at the flex point opposite yer big toe area. There quite a wide boot, heavy and perhaps a bit big for scrambling. Still a good boot.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby meangarry » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 pm

I opted for a pair of Mammut Brecon GTX.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk