walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A first Wainwright

A first Wainwright

Postby kmsharp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Loughrigg Fell

Date walked: 06/09/2012

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 566m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first Wainwright, more by accident than design. I was staying in the Lake District, but had no plans for any hill walks as my wife's not a keen walker. (Un)fortunately she came down with a stomach bug which gave me clearance to fit in a quick walk!

Todd Crag and Loughrigg Fell.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was my first walk in England and all those coloured dots and dashes on the maps are awfully confusing as were the sheer number of paths and tracks on the ground. I was also very confused by the huge number of people out on the hill, every ten meters or so there would be a couple walking, admiring the view, stopping to have a rest or a snack. At times it felt like I had entered a hill walking theme park, all that was missing were the "you must be higher than this sign to attempt this walk" signs.

IMG_3538.jpg
Loughrigg Fell

Back to the actual walk. I set off from downtown Ambleside and headed out across Rothay Park and followed the access road to Brown Head Farm. Rather than head straight up to Loughrigg Fell I followed a path to the south to Todd Crag where I was rewarded with a superb view down Lake Windemere. From Todd Crag it was just a question of which of the many paths to take towards Loughrigg Fell and which couples I would attempt to overtake. The weather was great and the views across to the other fells were stunning. I can see why walking in this part of the world is so attractive.

IMG_3533.jpg
Lake Windemere

IMG_3530.jpg
Rydal Fell

IMG_3539.jpg
North to Grasmere

Once I'd made the summit (and queued to touch the trig point) I retraced my steps to Todd Crag and then followed the steep path down to Clappersgate and back into Ambleside for a well deserved pint.

I certainly enjoyed my first Wainwright and my first hill walk in the Lake District and I'd be tempted to return in the future, but are all walks that busy and with such a plethora of paths and tracks?
kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Fionas:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: A first Wainwright

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Nice report glad you enjoyed your first foray up a Lakeland top. As for finding a bit more solitude in the Lakes it's certainly posible if you stay away from the more popular fells. If you wander around tne back 'o Skiddaw for example you'll see few paths and even fewer people.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby footix2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Loughrigg is very popular as is the nearby Fairfield Horseshoe, they are really honey pots due to their accessibility from Ambleside.

The North Western fells (my local area) can be very quiet indeed, even on a good day.

There is always a handful of people in most areas though. I generally set off at the crack of dawn for this reason, to avoid the crowds.
footix2
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:61   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:32 pm

An excellent first England report, KM. Loughrigg is a charming little fell with a wonderful summit panorama. It was my first Wainwright too.

John and Footix are right about the crowds. On a sunny weekend some hills are extremely popular, but there are quieter places. Some hills in the far east around Longsleddale and far west around Ennerdale are good places for stunning Lakeland scenery without the crowds. But don't be put off by the popular ones either, they're too good to miss.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sarah86 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:53 pm

This was my first wainwright too :-) My first walking trip to the Lake District a few weeks ago, half way up loughrigg fell it came on pouring rain, luckily it didn't last but we had strong winds at the top. Itching to get back to the Lakes and already have my list of hills ready! Glad you enjoyed your first wainwright too and lovely photos.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Great stuff KMS, it's unfortunate that you wandered into one of the more popular parts of the hiking capitol of England :lol: as others have said, there are much quieter locations in the lakes which are equally beautiful or more so and far less crowded. Though to be honest you have secured a huge slice of good fortune with the weather out there, which probably added to the crowds too :roll: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland