walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon from Inchrory

Ben Avon from Inchrory

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Date walked: 09/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked this route with a party from the Tomintoul & Glenlivet Walking Festival. Last year we tried the same walk but were beaten by the high winds and rain just before reaching the plateau and descended from Clach Bhan. So this year I thought I would try again.
The advantage of doing it with the walking festival is the ability to use vehicles to get to the start of the walk which saves several miles. Otherwise a mountain bike is a virtual necessity in order to avoid a long walk in and out again. I thought this route might be of interest to those biking in, but the T&G walking festival do it each year on a Sunday for those wanting the easier option (like me :lol: ).
Their website is www.tgwf.co.uk.
I have approximated the .gpx route after the walk so please don't use it for real, but I reckon the actual distance is just under 12 miles and the ascent may be a bit more than 900mtrs.

Ben_Avon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route starts at approx GR178073. It was a nice dry day with a bit of breeze, but forecast to increase to 35mph+ with gusts to 50mph later, so a good pace was needed to reach the summit before the wind made the going too arduous. We gained height straightaway and the views were clear in all directions.
DSCF0002.JPG
Looking back to start just south of Inchrory House from ascent of Meall Gaineimh

DSCF0004.JPG
Further on looking back at the ascent path with East Gorm (I think) on left and Clach Bhan beyond in centre

The wind was now strengthening and we sought shelter in a rocky hollow just over a mile from the summit for an early first lunch stop.
DSCF0006.JPG
View back from first lunch stop

DSCF0007.JPG
From same place looking further left.

We soon reached the summit rocks and a few brave souls braved the very strong gusts to climb to the top. Holding the camera still was extremely difficult :lol:
DSCF0008.JPG
Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe summit rocks

Balancing my camera on the rocks in the wind tunnel, I managed a photo of two walkers approaching from The Sneck.
DSCF0011.JPG
The Sneck and Beinn a'Bhuird

DSCF0012.JPG
Corrie on Beinn a'Bhuird

DSCF0010.JPG
Other rock tors from the summit

Time to move on and our route of descent was clear to see.
DSCF0009.JPG
Head for the rocks just right of centre then turn left towards Stob Bac an Fhurain

An easy walk to Stob Bac an Fhurain was followed by a steep descent.
DSCF0013.JPG
Looking back up our descent route

Further down we reached the tors of Clach Bun Rudhtair.
DSCF0014.JPG
The first tor at Clach Bun Rudhtair

A short distance further down is this even more impressive tor where we stopped for a second lunch.
DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG
Looking back up at descent route

DSCF0018.JPG
Second lunch looking towards Glen Avon

DSCF0019.JPG
Looking back up Glen Avon from same stop

DSCF0020.JPG
Our route ahead over Da Dhruim Lom

DSCF0022.JPG
Looking back to Stob Bac an Fhurain from Da Dhruim Lom

DSCF0023.JPG
To the right at this point is I think East Gorm.

DSCF0025.JPG
On the final descent of Da Dhruim Lom into Glen Avon

It is then a simple matter of crossing the burn just before the new deer fence and walking by the river for a few hundred yards before the landrover track is reached. This takes you all the way back to the start.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Avon from Inchrory

Postby Alastair S » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Nice one 8)

Also a bit of a coincidence - I did a pretty similar route the day before you (I MTB'ed the glen). I didn't think to take your return route - looks like a good option to vary things. Its a great way to see the hill, especially if you take the time to tour the tors. At least the wind kept the midges away for you. Should get my report done soon.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland