walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

A new member

A new member

Postby davyfish43 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm from the US and planning my first visit to Scotland during Sept. 2013. I'll be staying in a Glenelg cottage with 2 or 3 other males for 1 week. (My wife would rather spend her vacation on a warm beach.) I like hiking and biking. Have hiked on Appalachian Trail in eastern US and on the Pacific Crest Trail along the west coast. We will only have a short visit but would like hear about some challenging day hikes around Glenelg area. I would also love hike up a mountain if one is nearby (nothing technical) but a strenous walking path is fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
davyfish
davyfish43
Munro compleatist

Re: A new member

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi davyfish and welcome to Walkhighlands. Glenelg is a stunning place; we've a selection of walks on the peninsula. Assuming you have a car, you'd be well placed to head over to Skye for a day walk using the local ferry, or any of the classic hikes in neighbouring Kintail. The main difference with walking in Scotland is that there are not made paths / waymarking etc. on the hill walks, so if opting for those you need to be confident in your map and compass skills. There is something of everything to choose from on the site though.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Davey, enjoy your trip. Let folks know closer to the time and keep an eye on the forums. There's bound to be plenty help and suggestions.

Regards

Calum
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Davyfish and welcome
As Paul says, you may find walking in Scotland a little less waymarked and defined than in the States, or than in some parts of Europe. So I am always wary of assessing others' capabilities. From what you say however, Beinn Sgritheall would be a prime candidate for the mountain hike, if only for the great views across Loch Hourn (nice day only). There is a route on this site offering a strenuous, but not technical, walk up.

Kintail and surrounding area offers some of the best walking in the country
Enjoy the site
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...