walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Galatea Lakes - First snow of the season

Canada - Galatea Lakes - First snow of the season

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Date walked: 12/09/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 18.6 km

Ascent: 694m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have had my eye on this hike for quite some time but put it off for two reasons, firstly there is a long approach through a deep valley which meant it was hotter than hell through there in summer, and secondly it is a very popular route with both locals and tourists. It is probably fairer to say that the first section (to Lillian lake) is popular, the additional 4km and associated ascent to Galatea Lakes is not so popular.

So, with this in mind I was pleased to pull into the well signed Galatea car park and find it virtually empty with only one other car (which had well frosted windows) The trailhead car park is only about 30km south of the Trans-Canada highway along highway 40 so it was a short journey for me today.

It was absolutely freezing in the shaded car park and two small areas of ice stood in vacant lots. I didn't hang about too long exploring the area as I normally do because it was too cold so I needed to get going and warm up.

the hike begins with a steep descent to a well constructed bridge over the Kananaskis river, I was surprised that it moved so much given it's construction, as I crossed it lolled up and down like it was resting on blamanche.

Once across the bridge the trail comes to a T-junction where a left turn sets me on an unmissable trail alongside Galatea creek. The trail switches from side to side across the creek for no apparent reason but each time there is a well constructed bridge to ensure a dry crossing. I think there were about 9 of these in total along the creek....I lost count.

there are several places where melt water channels have destroyed the trail completely but it is easy enough to cross the boulders and rejoin the trail at the other side, though in spring these may present a real challenge

it is a densely forested trail for the most part as it rises slowly from the valley floor, it does pass a huge canyon with an equally huge waterfall deep within it. Whilst I could hear the falls for a long time I could only see the spray but not the actual falls. There are some open areas which allow a quick view back down the valley toward the start.

after about 6.5km I arrive at Lillian lake and stop for a photo or two at the eastern end of the lake before continuing on the trail along the northern bank. I hope to see more of the lake by dropping down the long scree and boulder slope visible in this picture as part of the return leg.

Once past Lillian lake the trail ascends quickly along another large scree ridge that is overgrown with trees and shrubs. Snow still sits here where the sun doesn't reach, which is no surprise as it is still very cool and I'm beginning to wish I'd put my gloves on.

looking back from the scree over Lillian lake and the forests below it seems a hellish long way back through the valley and yet I feel like I've done very little so far. One huge benefit of cool weather is the hiking is so much easier.

looking ahead I can see 'The Tower' rising above the final ascent and the view is sufficient to keep me going at a good pace through the last of the trees.

Lower Galatea lake is a beautiful sight as I reach the rise, surrounded by snow covered walls the blue water shimmers as a strong breeze whips the surface before hurrying past me and down the hill causing me to zip up the neck of my fleece as I stand a moment absorbing the view.

I cross the steep slope on the north side of the lake using the snow covered trail, as I circle around the western edge of the lake I meet a couple who were just leaving, they had camped down at Lillian lake camp ground and seemed genuinely amazed that I had made the hike this morning. I asked about the upper lake but they had not been that far and weren't going to go so I said my farewells and continued on. It provides some sense of scale that they can just be seen on the lower end of the snow covered trail seen on the left across the lake here.

I make my own trail around to the south-west corner of the lake and grab a shot looking directly across the beautiful water, it's a little warmer over this side as it is protected from the wind by a huge ridge behind me, the ridge that stands between me and Upper Galatea Lake.

skirting around the eastern edge of the ridge to a lower point before ascending for my first view of the upper lake. The wind here is incredible and damn cold as I pick my way down the ridge toward the lake.

I follow the ridge along looking for a suitable descent route so I can make my way down to the lakeside for a lunch break.

eventually I get down to the waters edge without slipping on my backside and strike a pose for the usual evidence shot.

My lunch spot was almost perfect, a good clean rock seat that was flat and even had a back rest, as I settled down and dug out the oranges and Swiss army knife I smiled to myself from the absolute enjoyment of the moment.

the only thing was, it was still bloody freezing up here, it's only 7500 feet but winter has clearly arrived up here now, I decide to save lunch for Lillian lake on the return and after exploring the shore and taking more photos I set off up and out of the freezing bowl.

as I reascend I stick to the southern, snow covered slopes in an attempt to make my way around to the long scree slope overlooking Lillian lake.

I find a good trail along the slopes and find myself enjoying the boot deep snow along it, the view back across the lower lake is stunning and away on the far side picking his way through the rocky slopes is a huge mountain goat.

After a few dicey moments crossing the snow covered slopes I make it to the top of the ridge unscathed only to find it iced over and promptly slip banging my knee on a rock, nothing serious just one of those '#@%^&' occasions.

following the usual ranting about the knee I stop for a moment to take in the stunning view back down the valley across Lillian lake and along the green valley.

I rampage down the scree in bounds for the first hundred feet or so before it turns to larger boulders and I make a more controlled descent into the forest where a short walk through the camp ground leads me to the south-western corner of Lillian lake where I finally stop for lunch. Surrounded by trees keeping the wind away and bathed in full sunlight, this is the spot. It was great to see so many trout drifting by....I wished I'd brought my rod.

After a good 20 minutes enjoying the lake I made the long haul back through the valley which was now really warm, I was pleased to reach the wobbly bridge and cross over before turning for one last look. The clear water of the Kananaskis river is almost invisible and some of the trees are just beginning to show those subtle shade of yellow as autumn approaches.

This was a really enjoyable hike and though it was my longest yet out here I seemed to have twice the energy than I've had of late which I'm sure was down to the cooler temperatures. I've seen my first snow of the season and slipped on the first ice of the season, I'm looking forward to Autumn.
Last edited by ChrisW on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Galatea Lakes - First snow of the season

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:23 am

I see you're back in business for good, Chris! :clap: :clap: Another fantastic tale. With pictures to match, of course.
It is always annoying to plan a "solitude-seeking" trip and find the route full of people... Though there are places where you have no chance to be alone (like Ben Nevis tourist route :lol: :lol: ). Glad you managed to avoid the big crowds.
We're on holidays for the next two weeks and hoping to do some hiking - preferably on not too overcrowded tracks :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm

What's it like to live in a country with seasons :shock: :lol:
I've missed the snow from your reports. great to see it return.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I see you're back in business for good, Chris! :clap: :clap: Another fantastic tale. With pictures to match, of course. It is always annoying to plan a "solitude-seeking" trip and find the route full of people... Though there are places where you have no chance to be alone (like Ben Nevis tourist route :lol: :lol: ). Glad you managed to avoid the big crowds. We're on holidays for the next two weeks and hoping to do some hiking - preferably on not too overcrowded tracks :D

Thanks BP - this place was worth the wait :wink: Hope you have a great holiday and get some good hiking weather :D
johnkaysleftleg wrote:What's it like to live in a country with seasons :shock: :lol: I've missed the snow from your reports. great to see it return.

It's bloody great John :lol: I think the mountains always look better with a white top but I confess, the 5 feet deep powder of winter is not a hikers dream!!
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby clivegrif » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello Chris

Good to see the bumps have mended and you are off and running again.

Blimey - what a place! Looks just like the Malverns (if only....... :( .)
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 pm

clivegrif wrote:Hello Chris
Good to see the bumps have mended and you are off and running again. Blimey - what a place! Looks just like the Malverns (if only....... :( .)

Cheers Clive, nice hike this one....similar to the Malverns :think: ......they are both beautiful locations :thumbup: My friends in Worcester would never forgive me if I said otherwise :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I really enjoyed that walk, Chris! :D
Great to see the snow and those beautiful ice green waters and, of course, the blue sky :lol:
Beautiful photos :thumbup:
One day you may run out of those fantastic views as you will have done all the walks :shock: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby StephenT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Chris
Stunning photos and excellent report as always. :clap:

Do you ever get any bad days when walking (weather wise :wink: ) out there!!
Stephen
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:I really enjoyed that walk, Chris! :D
Great to see the snow and those beautiful ice green waters and, of course, the blue sky :lol: Beautiful photos :thumbup: One day you may run out of those fantastic views as you will have done all the walks :shock: :crazy: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Susie, I should be so lucky - I'd have to live to be a hundred....at least :lol: I've only scratched the surface so far, I hope there will be many more to come :D
StephenT wrote:Chris
Stunning photos and excellent report as always. :clap: Do you ever get any bad days when walking (weather wise :wink: ) out there!! Stephen

Cheers Stephen, I've got to say the weather here is very, very dry compared to home. The wet season is June/July /August and though the locals complained and the news said we had double the 'normal' rainfall in June - Sarah and I hardly noticed. I got a 2 minute snow shower hiking Nihahi ridge in June, and came very close to a storm in the same month on My Baldy .................
but it blew over without raining on me :D and when I did Yamnuska also in June I went early and avoided showers in the afternoon by getting back to the car before they started :D
So, from 32 full day hikes I have yet to use my waterproofs :shock: And best of all there are so many blue sky days right across the mountains it is incredible.....and in winter it gets even better, as long as I can stand the -35 temps :shock: We only had about 3 weeks of those temps as we got here at the end of December....this winter will be............. interesting :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am

Stunning scenery once again Chris, one of the best bits about walking is finding the perfect lunch spot which must be difficult for you at times :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby john923 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 am

32 hikes without having to don waterproofs! Is that some sort of record? :lol: Need to go there soon.
Great report as always, Chris.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Stunning scenery once again Chris, one of the best bits about walking is finding the perfect lunch spot which must be difficult for you at times :lol:

Cheers Johnny, I love finding the right lunch spot, I never have lunch until I've reached the furthest point (at least) then I settle down knowing I only have the hike back to the car park left......it's got to be right though in case I want to 'rest my eyes' for a minute :lol:
john923 wrote:32 hikes without having to don waterproofs! Is that some sort of record? :lol: Need to go there soon. Great report as always, Chris.

Cheers John, I do have the luxury of picking my days (mostly) so that makes it easier, but all the same the weather here is spectacular compared to home. 8) :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby westcoasthiker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Happy to see another beautiful report online. One of these days we'll head to the Rockies to wander around but it will have to wait till next summer. We're hoping to head to Lake Louise for some X-country skiing this winter but that will all depend on how quickly my back heals. Herniated disks are no fun especially when our weather has been so gorgeous and walking any distance is out of the question :(
westcoasthiker
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:26   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 pm

westcoasthiker wrote:Happy to see another beautiful report online. One of these days we'll head to the Rockies to wander around but it will have to wait till next summer. We're hoping to head to Lake Louise for some X-country skiing this winter but that will all depend on how quickly my back heals. Herniated disks are no fun especially when our weather has been so gorgeous and walking any distance is out of the question :(

Thanks WCH, I thought I hadn't seen any post from sunny Vancouver....now I know why. That sounds bloody painful :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 am

Hmmm,1st snow of winter,cannie belive its near the time already Chris.

Another one from that top drawer of yours.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland