walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tinto

Tinto

Postby kfrweaving » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 am

Well, i made it further up Tinto than last time, but didn't get to the top. Went walking with my dad - who did manage to get to the top! Well done dad :clap:
We managed to get a dry day thankfully and although we could see for quite far it was hazy so i found identifying the hills far away difficult. The walk up to the 1st cairn was not bad, but it was after this that i found things difficult. It wasn't my achilies tendon or blisters or anything to do with my feet. But i got a really sore head. When i turned round to look at the landscape i found that the hills were moving - and no i had not been drinking! Sat down for a while and tried to resume walking but found that when i was looking up towards the top of the hill i was not steady on my feet and my head did not feel good. The views even from half way up were good and as it was a Saturday there were a lot of people out walking. What was amazing were the amount of people who kindly stopped and asked if i was ok. One lady stopped and offered to turn her bag out to find a blanket. Thankfully i had a blanket with me and didn't need to use it as i made sure i didn't sit still for too long. I slowly made my way back down to the cairn and sat at a almost sheltered (hard when you are on Tinto!) spot. Things were fine at that level. But i have felt light headed before when climbing some hills. It wasn't to do with blood sugar levels being low, made sure of that and i was keeping hydrated. I am going to go back and have another go and this time make sure i go slower and steady when going from the half way mark. I really want to see the landscape from the top. It is not exactly a long walk but with the steep hill it makes it feel longer than it actually is.
It was very windswept ( i suspect at any time of the year!) For my dad he said the worst bit was going from the summit down to the cairn. But he was really glad he had done it as he grew up in the area and knew a lot of the villages and farms well. I took photos of the markings on the hill, they were beautiful and i would like to see them from higher up.
What did amaze me was how people were kitted out. :shock: Some were walking up in shorts and tshirts and flimsy trainers with no bag or bottle of water. It was bitter, especially when the sun disappeared. Also spotted a dog walker who let their dog off the lead when there were sheep on the hill.
Found a caterpillar - about the only thing to escape the wind!
Haven't put this on the walk reports for obvious reasons as i didn't complete it :roll: , but wanted to share the pics of the hill markings and the circular markings on the ground near the car park.
It was a lovely walk and one that i will definitely go back to. Not sure if i can fit it in this week, but will try to!
I know there are people who will find this walk a doddle. The start was fine, it was just after the first cairn that it got a bit more challenging. But Tinto i will be back!
Attachments
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: Tinto

Postby jester » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Nice photos, especially those of the 'markings' on the hill.
Get checked out with your doctor, I had similar problems a while back after I damaged my inner ear, found I was getting dizzy while looking up and I would lose my balance easily.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Matthew C » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Defenatly worth having a chat with you'r GP, check for inner ear infection & might be worth getting you'r blood pressure checked as well.
P.s The "markings" are where they carry out controlled burn's of the old heather to encourage new groth which provides young shoots for the grouse & there chicks.
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Holly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I like in particular the last photo where you can see from the angle you have taken the photo, the ancient fort.

For the record, I have been up and doon that hill many a time and I have never ever found it anything but a steep wee nipper! Ive never managed a good photo of the fort circle either so good to see it now!

As other folk have advised, get a check up at the docs for some piece of mind and sometimes you can drink too much water lass!

Take your time, dont be harried or stressed. Dont be too worried about the shirt and short brigade,,, some folk run up and down that hill as its a well known hill race.! Nae me I might add!

Go canny,,, you will do it girl!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion