walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis advice?

Ben Nevis advice?

Postby rennyrambles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm

My hiking buddy is keen to do Ben Nevis via the CMD arete, but I'm a total coward :shock: , and don't do well on anything too "exposed" or "airy". Does anyone know a compromise route – something a bit more interesting than joining the zigzag on the tourist route, but not as scarifying as the arete?
rennyrambles

Munros:36   Corbetts:2

Re: Ben Nevis advice?

Postby ExpatEddie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm

I was a bit like you when I went for the CMD Arete with my daughter. There is a bypass path which passes the top of the boulders (her route). But if you get a good dry day :wink: then you might find that you want to try over the boulders to say you have done it. Worthwhile reading some of the reports but the Arete is far better than the zig-zags. You'll see the true majesty of the Ben's North Face and not subject yourself to another slog up a big hill.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I'd totally agree with the above. Just go and do it, it's a great way to Ben Nevis. You should try it at least once and only turn around if it's really that bad....
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Malckyb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 pm

I did the arete route last weekend,it was cloudy and we didnt see much sadly. Its a fab walk though and deffo the way to do the Ben.

I must admit I was nervous about it,I had read loads of walk reports and standing on Carn Mor Dearg summit, I was very apprehensive when seeing the arete appearing from out of the cloud. I went for it though and was so glad I did,its not nearly as bad as you think it will be,its fun picking your way over the rocks.There are only a couple of exposed parts and these can be bypassed by the path on the left if you are really nervous. I loved it! I would say go for it,take your time and enjoy!...the real fun is the slog up the Ben after the arete!..nothing difficult but after all the effort of climbing CMD and the arete it seems never ending!..lol :D
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby rennyrambles » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for the great advice. We're heading up tomorrow, so will check the weather & make a decision on the hill. Either way, it will be good to be on the Ben.
rennyrambles

Munros:36   Corbetts:2

Postby ExpatEddie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 am

Hope to see a report with plenty of pics soon. Forecasts are saying a good day so go out there and Enjoy it.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion