walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Berghaus Arete or Lowe alpine Peak attack

Berghaus Arete or Lowe alpine Peak attack

Postby Shads » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Im looking to buy a winter rucksack, I reckon I'll need a 45litre or more I like to know I have enough clothes and supplies to survive a night on the hill if need be. The Berghaus Arete is around £70 and the Peak around £90, It needs to have a large clip so I dont need to take my gloves off, I hate sore cold hands!
Shads
Hill Bagger

Munros:47   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Berghaus Arete or Lowe alpine Peak attack

Postby Jonay » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 am

The Berghaus Arete 45 is my winter and alpine sack.

The clips are easily operated with thick insulated gloves on, and the axe attachments are velco with large loops that you can even use when the sack is still on your back.

I had no problem putting all my food, gear and spares in my bag with my helmet, axe and crampons on the outside of the bag.

The build quality is impressive too, really bombproof.

And here it is for £45 - http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/clearance/clearance-rucksacks/berghaus-arete-45

Bargain - grab it while you can!

edit: spelling
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 am

I bought an arete 45 for winter fun . Light as a feather, robust and plenty of room. My only complaint is the lack of side pockets which the previous version had. I f you don't want or need them it's not a hassle.

And for £45 it's a steal
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Meatball » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Half the weight of my deuter....I didn't NEED it but I've just bought one anyway!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Jonay » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm

nathan79 wrote:. My only complaint is the lack of side pockets which the previous version had. I f you don't want or need them it's not a hassle.

I agree that the lack of quick storage is a bit of a pain - but my hat and gloves are stored in the hood along with any snacks. (FA kit and headtorch there too for quick access). Anything else isnt really needed NOW is in the main section.
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Shads » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!!! The easy to work clips and the velcro straps for ice axe have won it for me, as I said before I hate trying to fiddle with clips with cold hands.......the price is the cherry on the cake though......£45........im in!!!!!!!!! :clap: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Shads
Hill Bagger

Munros:47   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk