walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cul Beag - sorry seems to be the hardest word...

Cul Beag - sorry seems to be the hardest word...

Postby kevsbald » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag

Date walked: 16/09/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been waiting for a hill like you to come into my life.....feeling musical tonight. A week in Achiltibuie meant brief escapades with permission to bag hills and be home within the 5 hour limit. Deal. Previous deposits made into the emotional bank account meant a withdrawal was not going to put me overdrawn. The road back from aforementioned community to the main road is a 16-mile single track road, which is hard to drive quick on - unless of course you are local, for which the laws of physics and etiquette are defied. The weather was certainly mixed - torrential downpours with sun splitting the skies - this would have to be finely timed. I left the car just West of the cottage at Linnerainneach and tramped along the road until I detected the excellent stalker's path. Rampaging across the glen, I reached the small lochan agus climbed towards the steep face of Cul Beag. It is a domineering peak from this direction and any hope of attempting Lurgainn Edge were dashed when the rain enveloped me. I made for the North bealach and bade hello to a rambling club instead.

From the bealach, things began to get rather beautiful indeed. The views North and West to Stac Pollaidh and Suilven irrespectively were stunning. Then, the heavens opened up and the temperature dropped several degrees. I was thankful for my Winter gear! The steep path zig-zagged but gained height rapidly. Hard to believe but I was at the summit within 75 minutes, privy to a fierce wind, which announced Winter was on its way. From here, it was a tremendous vista across Inverpolly. Some of the finest views of Scotland for me. There is something quite magical about Coigach and beyond - here there be faeries and dragons and ex-girlfriends who make Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction look positively adorable. I climbed round to the South-West prow and admired the huge drop below me. I had suggested to Slawek, a WHlander, that we could do this together but I had to take the opportunity to grab this and when we eventually met up to do Canisp, several days later, he mentioned that he was disappointed on more than one occasion. However, sorry seemed to be the hardest word for me and I thoroughly enjoyed my solo rocket-man day out. While company is fine, I am beginning to realise that my time, is my time and it affords a mental re-charging of the batteries, the soul and the spirit. Basically, I am an unsociable sod. The descent back to the car was tinged with sadness that another beautiful experience in this amazing area was at an end. A fantastic sortie. Not to mention, the most divine post-hill fish supper experience in Ullapool. And a pickle - does life get any better?
wh1.jpg
Cul Beag approacheth
wh2.jpg
The stalker's path affords fine views
wh3.jpg
Stac Pollaidh from the SW prow
wh4.jpg
Stac Pollaidh again
wh5.jpg
and again...
wh6.jpg
Looking North over Inverpolly
wh7.jpg
Beinn an Eoin with sun over Achiltibuie
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Cul Beag - sorry seems to be the hardest word...

Postby xslawekx » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Some interesting photography here, Kev. Stac Pollaidh never gets boring no matter which angle you admire it from...

P.S. Still disappointed about us not doing Lurgainn Edge...

P.P.S. Only joking. I'm glad you had a good day oot 8)
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Great hill, great area. I was up on Beinn Mor Coigach and surrounding summits on Saturday - one of my highlights of the year so far 8)

The walking solo thing is funny - I never used to do it that much, but now it seems to be the default for me. It would be so easy to arrange a walk with friends or other forum members, but I rarely think to do it - probably for the same reasons as you.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby soulminer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 am

A fine place to wander and photograph :)
I would tend to agree with your solo walking statement, much as I like being out on a Sunday with the usual suspects, there are times when it is better on your own ( or with the dogs ).
soulminer

Postby monty » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 am

Nice report Kev. :D

here there be faeries and dragons and ex-girlfriends who make Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction look positively adorable.
Might be best not to step foot in the area for a while after that statement :lol: :lol:

Love the mist on top of Stac Pollaidh in the "again" photo :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 am

I agree about the "unsociable sod" part as I find myself getting like that quite often, particularly when it comes to the hills.

The last picture is a cracker.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24 am

Enjoyed this. :thumbup: Your pics are similar to some of mine from Stac Pollaidh only from a different angle. It's such a stunning area and not quite like anywhere else.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 am

Its a countryside which I never get bored looking at! You are lucky you had some time to get out and experience some hills...to bag hills in this countryside just seems wrong...experience them, seems always a better way to walk up them.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

Och, yer a curmudgeonly loon min! Nice pics though! :D

Seriously though, on the solo walking thing, I do like getting out walking with my mate Robin now and then. Even the walks I have done with Daz and yourself have been tolerable I suppose :lol: (oh OK then, they've actually been quite pleasant and there has been some very interesting banter :wink: ) and it's been good to get out occasionally with bigger groups on WH meets, but there is something special about solo walking (as long as you don't dwell too much on what would happen if you keeled over or got into serious trouble of some sort). It's when I'm solo (or with the dog at least) that the feelings and emotions that the hills spark in me are at their sharpest and most defined. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland