walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More & Stob binnein ( Our first real views )

Ben More & Stob binnein ( Our first real views )

Postby pdmclardy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 23/09/2012

Time taken: 7.05 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1335m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our first real views from the summit of a munro :clap:
We set off in good weather from our home in the west coast and arrived at Ben More just before 9am and the summit was shrouded in mist :( , All the way on the drive up it had looked good and we were looking forward to our first real views as it had been misty on our previous climbs ! . Ah well we set off in the hope that the sun would burn through by the time we got there ( which should be plenty of time as we just plod away being new to all this :wink: ) . I had read through some reports on WH and knew it would be a steep ascent and they were not wrong :crazy: , On the lower part the views back were good
Ben More & Stob Binnein 011.JPG
looking back

Ben More & Stob Binnein 003.JPG

Onwards and upwards the ascent was unrelenting but we just ploded away ! There were more people climbing than i was expecting and most passed us on the way :roll: We talked to a couple of climbers Bill & Lyndon who were very helpful in there advise and thoughts >>> Cheers guys !!
Ben More & Stob Binnein 031.JPG
another view back

Ben More & Stob Binnein 006.JPG

Ben More & Stob Binnein 026.JPG
Now which way is up ?

Ben More & Stob Binnein 030.JPG
A steep ascent

We reached the top in just over two and a half hrs ( Not bad for overweight amatuers :wink: ) Although the summit was still shrouded in clag it did not dampen our enthusiasm :clap:
Ben More & Stob Binnein 052.JPG
All smiles for the camera

So a quick cuppa and a bite to eat and it was time for Stob Binnein and as we descended we got our first view of it with the top still shrouded in mist !
Ben More & Stob Binnein 025.JPG

The sun burned through real quickly now and the views were stunning ( much better than my ability with a camera :roll: )
Ben More & Stob Binnein 033.JPG
Stob Binnein

Ben More & Stob Binnein 009.JPG
A view back to Ben More

and soon we were at the summit of Stob Binnein
Ben More & Stob Binnein 046.JPG

Up till now i was fine but from the bealach down my wee leggies ( Knees ) took a beating ha ha but we are once again planning our next adventure and .... Luvin It !!!..... :clap:
pdmclardy

Munros:8   

Re: Ben More & Stob binnein ( Our first real views )

Postby Fudgie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I found the descent from the bealach a bit of a pain too and the mud caused me to slide a few times :D

Good effort though on a very steep pair of hills.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice one! I'm sure there'll be plenty more views to come ..... as well as more than a fair share of clag too. :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ken reid » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm

good effort I did these two in june this year and had great weather and views :clap: :clap: :clap:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby pdmclardy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks Fudgie, It was very slippery in places and I have to admit i slid a couple of times and fell once :roll: but junior fell twice so i make that one up to senior !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Graeme D, I am sure will there will be plenty of clag in future climbs but when it does open up the surrounding views are simply Stunning ! :clap:

Thanks Ken reid, We are planning doing a whole lot more next year so we are hoping we will get our fair share of good views .....Although we are not finished for this year yet :clap:

Pete
pdmclardy

Postby Lyndon_Brown » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Peter. Good report. Thanks for the mention re our meet on the hills. Did send some details for our local walking club to the mobile no. Bill gave me. Not sure if you have seen it yet. :crazy: Just in case is wrong no. send me a private note with you mobile no. or email. Keep up the good work.
Lyndon_Brown

Munros:150   Corbetts:41
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:07 pm

I've still to do these two so it's good to read your report. Sounds like they're quite a test for the old knees! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby pdmclardy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks Lyndon , I did get your message and i found the club online ! I have just been very busy just now but will be in contact :clap: :clap: :clap: ...Pete

Hi dogplodder , there are two ways down from the bealach ! straight down which (i'm told :wink: ) is very boggy or you can follow the path around the side of Ben More and traverse down which we did and so did most others who were in front and also some coming from behind !! As said it can be very slippery in places on the steeper parts but i found it better to walk on untrodden grass in those parts as you got a better grip ( old indian trick ha ha )
pdmclardy

Postby monty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 am

Well done guys. Thats a fare old slog up there but i managed to miss it by doing these from the south. :D By all accounts one of the steepest ascents for a single Munro. :D
monty

Postby garry the arab » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:44 pm

DID THESE TWO LAST MONTH WEATHER WAS BRUTAL,BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE DONE ,SLID MOSTLY DOWN THE BEALACH,LOL. :(
garry the arab
Mountain Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Postby pdmclardy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks Monty, Still enjoyed the ascent ! the harder it is the more satisfaction when you get there :clap:

Hi garry the arab , glad our weather was not to bad and yes slippy on the way down :lol:
pdmclardy

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland