walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

etrex 30

etrex 30

Postby alfie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 am

hi ,has anyone downloaded any maps for the etrex 30 from garmin?the one i was looking at was £200 for whole of british isles,a was wondering if the maps are as good as there said to be and also once a have this map on ma garmin will i be able to plan walks and routes from this map or will i still need to download each trip i make individually from WH!any help would be gratefully received cos av no got a clue wot to do!thankyou very much! :crazy:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: etrex 30

Postby alfie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:58 pm

bought scotland topo map sd card for £70 and its made etrex 30 a very handy bit of kit!brilliant !still take a map with me cos am determined to learn how to use map and compass! :)
alfie
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello Alf,
Just reading about your garmin 30 and the 1:50,000 maps within. I don't know much about the 30 GPS. I'm curious but does the system allow you to print the maps from your PC? I used a very basic 'Yellow Garmin' for a while then now I'm using a Garmin all singing and dancing model but when I come to print a map from the PC.....completly disallowed. :( I use the downloaded program 'basecamp' from Garmin which allows for communication with the PC....which is fine for the exchange of data etc. ....but a no,no when I ask for a printed map!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby alfie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm

hi gaffr,wot i do is download gpx from walkhighlands for walk am doing and it appears over the map on gps,showing the waypoints and route!the map i bought for gps is very good i think!!, It shows contours,height,lochs .rivers,forests etc!i really like it!the maps i also take with me come from either WH or memory map!the paper map i take is only because am useless with a map and compass and am determined to learn,but the map i bought on sd card and put on etrex can only be used on etrex i think!dont think a can use it on pc ,but a have Memory map for printing from so am happy with that!only reason a have etrex 30 is cos my family all pitched in and bought me it for 40th birthday!my pal has etrex 10 and we have used that loads and its never let us down! :)
alfie
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk