walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boreray - St Kilda

Boreray - St Kilda

Postby petejkenny » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mullach an Eilein (Boreray)

Date walked: 15/05/1996

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is an ancient expedition by the standards of most posts here but I thought it might be interesting. I can’t pin down the exact date we did this, but it was in May 1996.

Boreray is part of the St Kilda archipelago which is some 41 miles west of Benbecula. I’d got the St Kilda bug, read the books and finally got to go there in 1992 as part of an NTS work party. So first I dreamed of St Kilda then once I’d been there I dreamed specifically of Boreray. It was partly its legendary inaccessibility and partly its fantastic turreted and pinnacled shape.

Boreray.jpg

Boreray is very hard to get to. There’s no easy landing place and often the Atlantic swell makes it impossible. You need a very calm day, several hours, a boat and permission from the NTS warden on the main island Hirta.

On this trip the warden Stuart told me that the NTS kept a record of landings and that more people had been on top of Everest than had landed on Boreray since the NTS took it on in1957. Apparently there’s not even necessarily a landing once a year and the Wardens generally take the chance to land and check bird numbers, take eggs for testing etc as the opportunity arises. So it’s like getting all the planets in a line.

I bought the book St Kilda by David Quine from Colin Baxter’s firm and later that year got a mailing from Colin saying he was going on a 2 week photographic expedition in the Outer Hebrides on the Jean de la Lune in the following May and offering places. It was pricy but I had one thought: “Boreray!”

Well you know life is a strange business and often what we want and dream of is far from what we get, for good and for ill, but this time my dreams came true. I met up with the Jean de la Lune in Oban the day after an amazing walk along the Ben Cruachan cirque in blazing sunshine. The weather was actually great for the whole trip – there was a single brief shower in the whole fortnight.

There was a group of around 12 passengers, including Colin, his wife and two sons. We sailed up the sound of Mull, stopped at Tobermory then on the next day to North Uist where we stayed overnight, finally through the Sound of Harris and over to St Kilda.

Jenn de la Lune in Loch Hirta.jpg

When we landed we were greeted by Stuart Murray the warden and one of the first things he said to Colin was “I guess you’d like to go to Boreray” and so it was settled, if the weather was good we’d go. Well the weather was good, sunny and very calm and so we set off round about 9.00, with a few extra joining us – one of the soldiers from the radar station and one of the “sheepies” – researchers into the feral Soay sheep that inhabit the main island.

Soay Lamb.jpg

Boreray is four miles north west from Hirta, so we were over in less than an hour and started to size up landing places.

Stac Lee  Sgarbhstac and Boreray.jpg

We couldn’t land at the usual slabs on the south west of the island opposite Sgarbhstac due to the swell so, guided by Stuart (who’d spent many days on the island in the seventies and then co-authored “Birds of St Kilda”) we went to the east side which was more sheltered and looked possible.

Mullach an Tuamail and Sunadal.jpg

The boat rode on the slight swell under the intimidating bulk of this huge island for quite a while without anything much happening. To start with there was a fairly general consensus that most people would go. To be honest I was bit concerned as to how some would manage but as the boat sat there one by one they decided against it. I must say that I had the strangest mixture of emotions. I was so scared by its size and steepness but I also could almost taste my hunger to get ashore.

In the end the shore party was myself, Colin Baxter and his friend Geoff, Stuart Murray, a soldier and a “Sheepie”. The zodiac took us over in small groups and we landed on rocks 150 metres north of Creagan na Ruhbaig Bana and scrambled up the gully running from right to left up to the broad, steep southern slopes. Without Stuart’s local knowledge we wouldn’t have made the landing even on such a fine calm day so you see how precarious getting there is.

Landing place.jpg

It was steep and a bit loose, a lot of poorly rooted grass and other shifting material and it was a stiff effort up to about 200 metres – I was breathless but exultant – “I’ve done it”

Made it.jpg

We then crossed the island at about 200 metres, above the collection of cleits and got the to the East side between the three pinnacles of Creagan nas Gruachan and Clais na Runaich.

Gannets, Stac Lee, Nas gruachan and all the islands.jpg

Cleits are unique to the islands. They are dry stone shelters used by the native St Kildans, evacuated in 1930, for storing and drying sea birds, crops etc. They visited Boreray and the Stacs to get sea birds which were a major part of their diet. It was wonderful to see them still standing, untended as they have been since the 1920s.

Cleit.jpg

The grass was close cropped by the feral blackface sheep that have lived on the island since the time the archipelago was inhabited. We didn’t see any – they were probably all over in Sunadal, the islands other broad grassy slope to the north east. The difference the sheep make is remarkable. On my previous St Kilda visit I’d been able to land on Dun, where there are no sheep and the grass was thick, matted and very springy. Boreray was almost as cropped as a bowling green, tilted sharply so you felt like you’d roll the whole way down to the sea if you ever fell over.

The views to Dun, Hirta and Soay were amazing and as we came towards nas gruachan we saw the Jean de la Lune sail by Stac Lee, dwarfed by this incredible rock.

Dun, Hirta, Soay and Stac Lee.jpg

Jean de la Lune and Stac Lee.jpg

There was bird life all around, gannets on the ledges, puffins on some of the sheltered slopes, fulmars, all calling and flying about.

Puffin.jpg

Gannets.jpg

We could see the sloping top of Sac Lee covered in gannets. They were whirling all around looking like little white dots, though they’re very big birds.

Stac Lee close up.jpg

In this traverse we’d looked up to the summit high above us on this twisted green ridge but the straightforward way was not for us.

summit.jpg

Again we benefited from Stuart’s local knowledge as we headed up towards Na Roachan and went out on to the western face of the island. There is a ledge or gully running from south to north from above Clais na Runaich to the steep and deep gully that separates the two tops.

Boreray Western face.jpg

This path is an ancient St Kildan route, used to get access to the gannet ledges. It lies against the main face with a protective wall of rock jutting out. In some pictures you can see it as a high notch in that gulley. I imagine this might be some kind of volcanic feature what it did mean is that we could cross this huge rock face easily and safely at about 250 metres. There were occasional lower bits and gaps in this wall and believe me it was a very long way straight down to a sea white over myriad rocks, calm as the day was.

Stac an Armin from western face.jpg

We then turned round into the summit gulley to scramble up the last 100 metres or so, It was dark and damp and really steep. Actually on Boreray you can pretty much take the “really steep” for granted but this was probably steeper than anything else I did that day. Some of the grass was quite long which was bad news – it means it’s too steep for sheep.

Stac an Armin from summit gulley.jpg

When I glanced down between my legs I could see the water far below, tiny sea birds in scattered groups and Stac an Armin looking like a mad witch’s hat. In the 18th century a group of St Kildans had to stay on the Stac all winter because a smallpox epidemic on Hirta stopped them being picked up. I guess they played a lot of “I spy”.

As I toiled up I could feel stuff shifting under my feet and started to fear that the whole thing might head downhill with me stood on it waving goodbye. Geoff who was with me said “it’s a bit loose” which strangely made it all feel safe. This is magical thinking, I know: if you name something you’ve got power over it! Still it worked for me.

We came to the top of the gully and the summit, Mullach an Eilan is a short pull to the north. So there we all were at 364 metres surrounded by the wide open sea, with the rest of the archipeligo to the south east, the Outer Hebrides to the East and the Flannan islands to the North West.

Mulloch an Eilain.jpg

Running north and just below the summit is an undulating grassy ridge about 1 to 2 metres wide running further to the north, out towards An t-sail and the huge rock pillars and pinnacles at the end of the island.

Everybody walked off along it one by one and I was left on my own on the summit. I looked at the ridge and the ridge looked at me. I’m not sure either of us liked what we saw. I gathered my courage together and it didn’t look like enough so I added some pride and stubbornness and set off.

Summit and scary ridge Pic courtesy of Rob Woodall.jpg

As I said it was about 1 to 2 metres wide and really unproblematic, except for being 1250 or so feet above the sea on either side! It was really airy and exposed. When I looked around all I could see was the blue sea and sky and what seemed like this green knife blade I was walking on.

I really badly wanted to get on my hands and knees and crawl! However I was also so elated and awestruck by being there in all this grandeur and wild beauty that the idea of crawling seemed demeaning, so I walked with my head held high in the glory – very, very slowly!

End of the scary ridge.jpg

One of the things we all realised at this point was that we had very little food and water with us so we had to scrape together what we had and share. We then set off back down to the sea with Stuart talking with the Jean de la Lune on the radio – oh I forget as well as weather, boat, permission etc you also have to be able to communicate with your transport in case the weather changes.

Heading down.jpg

All was fine until we got down to the slabs where it became apparent that less swell could still mean quite a lot of swell. There was a tense period of consultation over the radio – should we go back the way we came which had the problem of going up and over the island, taking time and risking the sea getting rougher – or should we risk a ducking?

The risk of getting wet seemed less worrying than the thought of actually having to climb some more and make our way down the gully at the end so we went for that.

The process was that the zodiac from the Jean de la Lune came in on the swell and you ran and jumped into it just as it reached its highest point – a real white knuckle departure. Well it was quick when it was your turn is what I can say in its favour, that and feeling like Indiana Jones!

Anyway off we all came and no one fell in – all credit to the crew. Then it was a quick trip round Boreray with the shore party all buzzing with excitement. The cook had produced home made Cornish pasties and fruit cake and I can tell you that they went very quickly, accompanied in my case by a couple of ice cold lagers!

As you can tell from this very wordy post this was really one of the great walking expeditions of my life. For a while afterwards I used to dream that I was sleeping on Boreray and wake expecting to see the cliffs and to hear the sea and the birds. I’d go back tomorrow. Actually I’d go back in half an hour!

Stac an Armin and Boreray.jpg
Last edited by petejkenny on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

Re: Boreray - St Kilda

Postby davetherave » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Pete,

Really enjoyed reading your post. Amazing, your one lucky guy. Never heard of this wee island before, looks like ill be looking up some of the history on St kilda/Boreray.

liked the scary ridge picture.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:41 am

Superb report - that one made a really great read. That gully you went up looks terrible :shock: I've never been to St Kilda but have always been fascinated by its history, and the appearance of Boreray and its stacks in particular.

davetherave wrote:looks like ill be looking up some of the history on St kilda

I found this book on St Kilda fascinating :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby FMCKIE » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Possibly the most interesting trip report I have ever seen. A billion miles from ground hog day munro trip reports. So many fantastic unique pictures, the one with the yacht beside Stac Lee I would have on the wall if it was me.

I am trying to climb the Scottish Marilyns and to achieve Boreray would be a gigantic tick to say the least. Hirta would be good but Boreray! Very,very jealous.

Ta, almost forgot about my flu for a minute there :D
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby petejkenny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. I must acknowledge again that one of the pics is by Rob Woodall - I didn't have a good one of "the scary ridge". He's got a fanatstic collection of St Kilda pics including landing on Soay (very very rare event ) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8589216@N06/collections/

of course to get the Scottish Marilyns you also have to get Dun, Soay, Stac Lee and Stac an Armin! It can be done but....
petejkenny

Postby conival » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:16 pm

A unique trip report, very well done.
I suspect it will be a long time before we see another one like that.
Gripping stuff.
Really good to read something different.
Has anyone done all the Marilyns or are the likes of Stac Lee and Stac an Armin just a 'hill too far'
conival

Postby petejkenny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 pm

I know people who've done the Stacs. I got to watch a video of Stac lee being climbed by someone popularly known as "Stac Andy" - trouble is that these are technical climbs, especially Stac Lee, and access is exceptionally difficult, and are those climbers interested in many of the other Marilyns?
petejkenny

Postby FMCKIE » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 pm

I heard stac Lee comes in at V Diff but with a russian roulette approach. Stac an Armin being moderate but similiar approach. I know it doesnt sound technical but with years of bird poo and loose rock. Restrictions, weather and getting a landing seems to make this a huge undertaking but not impossible as petejkenny says.

If doing the Marilyns theres a hell of a lot of uninhabited islands to reach before this ultimate challange. Kind of makes the Inn pinn or Cobbler summit boulder a bit of a joke in comparison.

Cheers again for sharing your pics and experience.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby kinley » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Wow - I suspect I'm unlikely to ever see this in person. Looks a great day :D

Thanks for sharing 8)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:50 am

Great post and congrats on winning the walk report of the month with it. When I was based on the Hebs only the male squaddies were allowed on St. Kilda so I never got out there unfortunately. I nearly got out a couple of times on the regular helicopter trips to swap the crews over but was always needed at work on the day :( Still, looking at Boreray, it wouldn't be suitable for mountain cowards anyway!
mountain coward

Postby petejkenny » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hi - I saw that helicopter come and go a couple of times - I always thought that was the optimum way to get there - it can be a rough trip by sea. The stores all come by landing craft - 41 miles, 8+ hours, flat bottomed landing craft, Atlantic waves - no thanks!
petejkenny

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:15 am

Amazing! Would love to go out here -would be happy even if I only got to Hirta.

Was once able to see St Kilda from the summit of Sgurr nan Gillean on Skye. It was avery hazy, steep sided block on the far horizon, barely visible unless you stared in the right direction for a few seconds. A check of the map when I got home revealed that it was about 95 miles away as the crow flies!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:35 am

The LCT trip wouldn't have bothered me - I love rough seas! Don't think they allow passengers on them though...

Our measure in the Uists of whether it was a fine day with good viz or not was whether we could see the pudding shape of Hirta! :D
mountain coward

Postby petejkenny » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes - on my second trip you could see it on the horizon.

How remarkable to love rough seas and not scary mountains!
petejkenny

Postby doulach » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Absolutely fascinating - a place I have always wanted to see, it just has such a magical enchanting history.
doulach

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland