walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mynydd Llysiau

Mynydd Llysiau

Postby willywalker247 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Mynydd Llysiau

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 5.48 km

Ascent: 372m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forcast for the day was good. I had been wanting to walk this part of the Brecon beacons for sometime and decided to pick a hill and go and have a look and then plan a longer walk at a later date. The hill i choose was Mynydd Llysiau. I parked the car on a grass verge at the start of the walk grid ref SO187289.There is only space for one car, two if you block the track or you can park at the Castle Inn on the A479 about 3/4 of a mile away for £1 Grid ref SO174296.
Mynydd Llysiau 022.JPG
At the start of the walk you will see a sign post marked Rhiw Trumau.
Mynydd Llysiau 020.JPG
As we started up the tree lined track it became wet and muddy and stoney.
Mynydd Llysiau 019.JPG
Once clear of the trees the track becomes grassy as you continue to climb.
Mynydd Llysiau 018.JPG
As you gain more height the path changes again and becomes stoney and wet.
Mynydd Llysiau 010.JPG
Mynydd Llysiau 011.JPG
Gaining more height the views start to open up. Again the path changes back to grassy and wet in places.
Mynydd Llysiau 017.JPG
A group of mountain bikers to the right of the cairn
On reaching the ridge there is a cairn at this point we stopped for a coffee. As we sat there it became clear this area is very popular with mountain bikers.
Mynydd Llysiau 015.JPG
We continued on up to the summit which is flat but with great views of Pen Trumau, Waun Fach, Pen y Gadair Fawr, Pen Allt Mawr and Pen y Fan in the distance, Mynydd Troed.
Mynydd Llysiau 014.JPG
Pen Trumau from Mynydd Llysiau
Mynydd Llysiau 008.JPG
Waun Fach from Mynydd Llysiau
Mynydd Llysiau 009.JPG
Pen Allt-mawr
Mynydd Llysiau 011.JPG
Pen y Fan on the horizon.
Mynydd Llysiau 013.JPG
Mynydd Troed from Mynydd Llysiau
Mynydd Llysiau 005.JPG
Lindsay on Mynydd Llysiau
Mynydd Llysiau 007.JPG
In hindsight i wish i had gone on and made my way across to Waun Fach. There is a bunkhouse at the pub i mentioned in the report.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Mynydd Llysiau

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Chris, This looks like a nice wander with some really good views across the beacons! Some good pics there as well! Doesn't look to wet on the ground either! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

That is a fine wee wander WW, love the views from the top too, you can see for miles all around, beautiful. :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 pm

ChrisW wrote:That is a fine wee wander WW, love the views from the top too, you can see for miles all around, beautiful. :D

Hi CW It nice to walk somewhere new as you know. Hope to do a longer walk in that area in the next couple of weeks.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:59 pm

garyhortop wrote:Hey Chris, This looks like a nice wander with some really good views across the beacons! Some good pics there as well! Doesn't look to wet on the ground either! :D

Hi Gary
I am going to try and do a walk in the same area, you and i spoke of it a while back. I will let you know how i get on.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland