walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell Munros

The Cairnwell Munros

Postby gyles » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 24/10/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another weeks holiday from work has given me the opportunity to play in the hills :D

With it being October (cold/changeable) and still gaining experience, I didn't want to do anything too out my depth. Looking around for web reports I came across the Cairnwells as do-able for me. The plan was for Wed 24th Oct since I could grab the usual friends who had days off from work, unfortunately they couldn't make it.

So I was going it alone, doing a munro for the 1st time on my own... 1st time for everything!

I set off from Forres, Morayshire at 6.45 arriving and setting off from the ski centre at 8.30. The area was pleasantly clear, blue skies with the sun just creeping over the hills from the east. Fairly cold, not quite freezing or frosty although the car was reading 0 degrees at the start.

001.JPG
The start!

002.JPG
Carn Aosda summit starting to warm up in the morning sun.

Fairly straight forward climb up to Carn Aosda took about 30 minutes. Reached the summit with nice sunny views all round. Glen Clunie and Braemar shrouded in fog below.

014.JPG
Carn Aosda summit whilst looking north to Glen Clunie

015.JPG
Cairnwell and its masts for later.

017.JPG
Carn a' Gheoidh lurking tall in the background.

Only stayed on Carn Aosda for 5 minutes as I took pics, I carried on towards Carn a' Gheoidh via Loch Vrotachan.

027.JPG
Loch Vrotachan.

034.JPG
Carn a' Gheoidh summit

I reached Carn a' Gheoidh summit about an hour after Carn Aosda, about 10.15. I stopped for a quick snack and snapped happily at the views. :D

035.JPG
Looking west

036.JPG
South westerly

046.JPG
Looking north to Glen Clunie/Braemar still in the fog.

047.JPG
East towards my last summit Cairnwell.

Made my way back and towards Cairnwell. I passed the 1st walkers of the day, a young looking couple who I guess were heading to Carn a' Gheoidh, where else? :roll:

055.JPG
Carn Aosda

067.JPG
Cairnwell summit

Not sure what time I arrived at Cairnwell, it seemed fairly quick. Not sure what to think of the masts and ski developments. It is I guess an eyesore but at the same time gave something interesting to look at. I definitely wouldn't say it spoiled my walk, I fairly enjoyed bagging those 3 munros and would encourage anyone who is new to hillwalking to try 1 if not all 3 of these hills to see if it's for them or not. Good starter hills 8)

My pic of the day is from Cairnwell at the end, looking south to Glenshee, glorious views.

063.JPG
Glenshee

069.JPG
Down to the finish!

The isn't a built path leaving Cairnwell down to the ski centre. I had fun falling on my backside at least once on the wet, boggy vegetation :crazy: It was steep enough too which was a bit sore on the knees and feet but made it down steadily. I arrived back at the car before about 12, roughly making it about 3 hours 30 altogether.

A really good enjoyable short walk, I'm looking forward to doing another but not likely to get one in before the year ends. 2013 it is.

Thanks for reading. :wink:
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: The Cairnwell Munros

Postby rjpatyou » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm

great report and pics im up at braemer next week and hoping to do these as short walk after doing some other munros if my knees let me :lol: you had a good day for it ,and well done on your solo :clap:
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby gyles » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks. I hope the weather is kind to you when you visit. The views are fantastic as long as it stays clear.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby WinterPapillas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:46 am

Looks like you were lucky with the weather! Nice pics
WinterPapillas
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland