walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - no snow here!

Ben Vane - no snow here!

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 17/11/2012

Time taken: 5.19 hours

Ascent: 963m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd read quite a few of the walk reports on here about Ben Vane in wintry weather and was looking forward to some excitement. After heavy snow on Ben More and Ben Lui in the last 2 weekends I thought there would definately be some up on Vane... Left Greenock a bit later than usual (7.30) as I was just finishing being on call, drove up to Inveruglas in the light, which was weird. Got away from the car at about 8.30 and trekked along the road up to Sloy dam that we remembered from climbing Ben Vorlich a couple months ago. Took the turn down left (the second Glen Loin Loop sign) then managed to forget to turn right at the wee bridge - too busy yapping!

P1000254 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Once we corrected the mistake, it was squelchy marshy grass and bog for the next section. Not any sign of snow on the peaks apart from some thin yellowish stuff on top of Vorlich that looked like dandruff. After getting to about 450m I looked up and decided that Ben Vane looked far too easy and undemanding. Didn't look like a "proper" hill from this angle, unlike the steep cone of Ben Ime that loomed on our left. However, things were about to get a bit steeper - plus I couldn't see the top of Vane from there. Weather was really changeable today - sunshine, rain, snow and mist chopping and changing - we did get some nice views of Ben Ime and Lomond intermittently.

P1000255 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1000266 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1000267 by 23weasels, on Flickr

On the way up we saw a group of 4 ptarmigan, looking like white stones from afar - they soon budged out the way and croaked a "get off my mountainside" to us.

P1000272 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up past the cave, good views down to the Sloy dam.

P1000274 by 23weasels, on Flickr

There's a little steep section near the top that i needed to lift the dog up (and down on the way back) but otherwise he coped admirably.

P1000273 by 23weasels, on Flickr

As we got near the top a little snow shower started, but there was none on the ground to speak of. Wind picked up to the point of having to put my gloves on for the first time - strangely warm day. There's a steep little 50 metres up to the cairn then we were fortunate that the clouds cleared reasonably well and we got good views over the surrounding tops.

P1000279 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1000280 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Heading down was alright, just took it easy as we wanted to save some energy for another walk tomorrow. Back at the car in just over 5 hours as the rain started to lash down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29312277@N08/sets/72157632035604332
Last edited by weaselmaster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Ben Vane - no snow here!

Postby Peter913 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice report and many thanks for confirming no snow as im planning on doing Ben Ime tommorow i hate that white Sh@@ will be no 56 for me watch for my report

Did you get pictures

Regards

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Yeah, just added link to pics on Flikr :)
Enjoy your walk tomorrow - we're off to go up Beinn Dorain & an Dothiadh if the weather permits
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby gman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Good report, did this one a couple of weeks ago: bit more snow then :D It was quite busy lower down but a lot of people turned back when they hit the snow and the scrambly bits further up. I always think Vane has a bit of everything, including a bog trudge :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland