walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots slipping around the heel... ideas?

Boots slipping around the heel... ideas?

Postby coachmacca » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am

Before anyone (you know who you are) says I told you so.. I bought a nice new pair of Scarpa Manta's . Tried the in the shop, walked about at home as recommended - had to go for a 45 to get the length which was ideal.

Problem is i seem to have long but narrow feet - as I'm walking on hills they tend to loosed, particularly around the heel cup - badly!

I've tried 2 pairs of socks and it helps, despite hot feet - but they still slip around the heel - I'm raising about an inch or more!

I've considered "heel cups" see this link http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/a ... um=organic

and someone even suggested wearing Vibram 5 fingers http://www.vibramfivefingers.uk.com/ in my boots (which I have to say is a pretty attractive idea also for toes cushioning on descent -if a little excessive)

Has anyone else tried/succeeded or has ideas? I wondered if anyone knew of cocks with grips or extra padding at the heel?

Like the feel overall, feel great on rock and are surprisingly comfy but the slippage is far from ideal!

All ideas welcome :?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Boots slipping around the heel... ideas?

Postby electricfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 am

I'd try getting some sports insoles and take a craft knife to them. You should be able to fashion some sort of "half-insole" that takes care of the space at the heel, whilst still giving the rest of your foot room at the bridge and toes. :wink:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

electricfly wrote:I'd try getting some sports insoles and take a craft knife to them. You should be able to fashion some sort of "half-insole" that takes care of the space at the heel, whilst still giving the rest of your foot room at the bridge and toes. :wink:

Cheers Electrify.. the old "bodge" it is on the list too.. just get some padding basically.. let you know how it goes- just strange they fel perfect length the heel just slips up after 15 or so minutes on the hills.. not a really big issue but right annoying
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby electricfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 am

Just want to add, if you're going to try and make the heel area more snug, be aware that this may alter the points where your upper heel and tendon makes contact with the boot. This can then lead to excessive friction on these more sensitive areas which will result in painful blisters.

I had a similar situation with a new pair of Mammuts I bought in early summer. I walked a round of the Fisherfields in them, no blisters but felt them a little spacious at the heel. I tried to remedy this using thicker socks and insoles. On my next outing (Beinn Fhionlaidh/Squlaird) they were performing well up and down the first munro, but on hitting level ground, then ascending Sgulaird I began to feel the intense burning of horrendous blisters at the top of my heels. :(

It transpired that by padding out my heel area, I had elevated both heels to the point where they had met with the boot as it curves in towards the ankle. :oops:

Needless to say, I removed the insoles and got used to them giving me a bit of room at the heel, no more blisters. :thumbup:
electricfly

Postby coachmacca » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

Which Mammuts - I have the Brecon GTX's and first 2 outings found my heel slipping a bit and got blisters but as you say I just got used to it and now I love them (no blisters and a right secure boot) - if a little slippy at times on greasy rock

Ill maybe play about and see whether just having room is the "live with it" answer
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Dwiea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 am

My Scarpa mantas have problems being a bit too loose and I can't seem to tie them tighter (jus the right hand boot). I think the leather at the fabric loops is too tough so I am going to try and loosen it up a little before the next time I use them. If I can manage that there I think they will work great. Just ordered a pair of scrapa sl yesterday so hope they fit ... they are so much easier to tie!
Dwiea
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby electricfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

coachmacca wrote:Which Mammuts

Mine are the Sierra GTX, similar to the Mammut Impact, but with a higher ankle cuff.

Oddly enough I don't notice their roominess anymore. I think this may be due to a bit of shrinkage of the nubuck leather after 6months of soak/dry rotation. :lol:
electricfly

Postby coachmacca » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Dwiea wrote:My Scarpa mantas have problems being a bit too loose and I can't seem to tie them tighter (jus the right hand boot). I think the leather at the fabric loops is too tough so I am going to try and loosen it up a little before the next time I use them.

I found that too - planning to just pull harder!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Dwiea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm

coachmacca wrote:I found that too - planning to just pull harder!

I can't pull harder lol my hands get sore and almost get blisters everytime I put on my Mantas. I was thinking something more along the lines of tying them tight when I don't have them on and then putting something heavy on them. Or sit and flex that part of the boot by hand a couple hundred of times lol :-)
Dwiea
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Dwiea wrote:My Scarpa mantas have problems being a bit too loose and I can't seem to tie them tighter (jus the right hand boot). I think the leather at the fabric loops is too tough so I am going to try and loosen it up a little before the next time I use them.

It sort of negates the point of having a tough B2 boot if you want to soften the leather, that is of course if you plan on using it as a year round boot with hard mountain days in mind. I hope that didn't come across as rude I just thought it might be worth considering.

The lacing on boots is totally overlooked by many people imo. Have you tried changing the way you lace them? I quite often get heal lift in one of my pairs of scarpa boots if I don't lace them a specific way.
If that doesn't help then you could consider insoles. I have flat feet so I use them in all my footwear, definetly made a diffrence to my manta's :) one of the things I noticed when I used to sell superfeet in the shop I worked at was the diffrence it made in holding the heal down for people, there are different insoles for different feet so it's worth keeping them in mind.
It might be a good idea to pop into a shop and try out some superfeet (they come with a 60 day gauratee so you can't lose out really), while you're in you could also see about lacing them to reduce heal lift.

Cameron
Cameron94

Postby Gythral » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree with looking at either or both the method of lacing the top of the boot & some form of footbed (Superfeet/Sole/Conform'able or similar)

There are a number of boot lacing vids on YouTube, or going into a good supplier and asking them about boot fitting and lacing.

Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby coachmacca » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 am

Gythral wrote:I agree with looking at either or both the method of lacing the top of the boot & some form of footbed (Superfeet/Sole/Conform'able or similar)

There are a number of boot lacing vids on YouTube, or going into a good supplier and asking them about boot fitting and lacing.

Cheers - greta idea! and Cameron94 also i might try insoles. Loves the feel of them in general but the heel lift could get problematic over a long day or over 2!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby stomper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

my best idea is don't buy mantas :lol: :lol: :lol:
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby electricfly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 pm

stomper wrote:my best idea is don't buy mantas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet the January 2013 issue of TRAIL magazine (even though it's still Nov 2012) :problem: has given them the accolade of "Best in Test" in the 4-season boot category for the zillionth time! :crazy:

I'm beginning to wonder if Graham Thompson owns multiple shares in Scarpa!?! :wtf:
electricfly

Postby Gythral » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 pm

electricfly wrote:
stomper wrote:my best idea is don't buy mantas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet the January 2013 issue of TRAIL magazine (even though it's still Nov 2012) :problem: has given them the accolade of "Best in Test" in the 4-season boot category for the zillionth time! :crazy:

I'm beginning to wonder if Graham Thompson owns multiple shares in Scarpa!?! :wtf:

If they fit the testers feet then it's no surprise that they get best in test, if they dont fit your feet (or mine) then they may as well not exist!

For me you could test Scarpa, Zamberlan, Meindel, Mammut, Lowa, Brasher (most models), TNF, Asolo, Berghaus, and then give it a 'Best ...' acolade and it still might as well not exist!

Boot choice is a very personal thing and depends on how well the 'last' used fits your feet and/or how much pain you are prepaired to accept!!!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk