walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gorton Bothy. Oh what a night!

Gorton Bothy. Oh what a night!

Postby mountainstar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Date walked: 22/11/2012

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

WalkHighlands Meet. 22nd/23rd Nov 2012.
A brilliant night in Gorton Bothy.
Weather. Thursday, Cloudy, rain. /Friday, Showers.
Gorton Bothy is east of Loch Tulla, conveniently situated en route to Glencoe, so ideal as a juicy starter for the coming WH meet at the weekend 8) .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Now I’m one who never misses on a Bothy trip with some good company, so feelers were put out on the Forum for any takers, seven other hardy souls took up the challenge…
Martin Garnet, Keith Harper, Carol Harper, Nathan (Nathan79) Stuart (Gable Gable End) Alan Ross (ScotJamie) Markthespark and last but not least Monty.
It didn’t start well, my mate Martin phoned me saying he would be late, due to not being able to pack anything until that morning for the whole weekend! :crazy:
He finally turned up at 11.35am (2 hours late) for the long journey north. With some further delays on the M74 we finally arrived by Achallader Farm at around 4.50pm in darkness.
We parked in the small car park off the main road and took the track north of the river rather than taking the south track that crosses a tributary river that would be in spate after all the recent rain (we later found that Stuart and Mark had braved the crossing which was thigh deep and ultimately arse deep when Mark slipped! Even with my prior warning of this problem river on the Forum :roll: )
I left Martin who was still packing in the darkness, telling him to just follow the track keeping the river to his right…fine until the track disappeared, as it had been swept away at one stage leaving the fence dangling in the river :o , but with a few fence crossings I was back on the puddle laden track. I enjoyed walking by torchlight in the darkness, at least the track is firm and straight forward so no problem. After about 1.45hrs I turned a corner to see the welcome light of a candle in the Bothy window :D .
I opened the door to exclaim “Who’s bleeding bright idea was this! :lol:

Nice welcoming sight on a foul winters night.

It was good to see old friends again, and a new found friend Mark, oh and a nice blazing fire already warming the Bothy up nicely :D .
Martin turned up about 30mins later soaked and happy to see a fire and beer already flowing.
I’ve spent countless nights in Bothys, and can honestly say that this was by far the best night ever….chat, laughter, music by Monty (well done for bringing in the guitar in the foul weather) and renditions by Stuart, Alan and Nathan, Poetry by Mark, Jokes by Monty (well it canna all be good :wink: ) a quiz to while away an hour or so done by Alan R, and eh……a “few” drams! All by a great fire with several loads of coal brought in by all the guys. Superb!

Stuart with some classy stuff

They don’t look too happy as Monty prepares to sing!

What the hell, he went for it.

Alan R takes the stage

Nathan flagging….

….and hits the wall.

We rolled into bed around 2am, most were unaware of Martins legionary snoring until 5 minutes after his head hit the pillow. In the middle of the night poor Martin woke starkly as if in a nightmare, to see Mark hovering over him whilst cursing and threatening him to a quick death! :shock:

Friday. The morning after, and the walk out.
Bothy mornings can be somewhat groggy at times, this morning was to be no exception! A few heads were banging, but we slowly stirred into some sort of action, stoves lit, breakfast downed, and then the bustle of packing the rucksacks, it's all part of the Bothy experience :D .

Groggy mornings!

Oh dear!

Outside fresh snow overnight had covered the hillside and there was even some of that yellow stuff outside (no not that yellow snow).

Some early yellow stuff

But as we emerged from the Bothy another shower greeted us, at least our rucksacks were somewhat lighter for out walk out and it was mostly a gradual downhill easy walk, a few more long showers hit us full face, but it was a nice way to clear the cobwebs!

Leaving Gorton Bothy. No wonder Monty's happy...there a Giraffe in waterproofs humping him! :lol:

Walk out from the Bothy.

Back by the road.

Blue skies at the car park…but bugger it we were off to the Clachaig!

What a start to the weekend that was to come, which was full of fun and laughter….apart from one slight hiccup….when I decided to have a fight with a (by now) HUGE BOULDER on Curved Ridge….unfortunately the boulder won!

Walking wounded!

Thanks to all that came, those who didn’t don’t know what they missed (Apart from this Trip Report and Video of course)

Short video of trip on You-tube here…..
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Gorton Bothy. Oh what a night!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Excellent montage Alan! I wondered why Monty appeared to be walking a bit stiffly in the bunkhouse! Just one thing though, that boulder has obviously hit you harder than we thought and messed up your concept of time and dates! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby nathan79 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Aye, 'twas a rare way to kick off the weekend's fun.
The darkening walk out to the bothy was fun even with all the puddle-splashing and mud-skipping. Hard enough keeping up with Monty in the daylight! :lol:

I couldn't wait to get to the bothy to cure my hunger pains. A fine sight when at last the bothy came in to view and we could suddenly smell the beckoning fire. (Only lugged 2 or 3kg of coal in this time in comparison to 10kg the previous time, a much more agreeable load I must say.) Far cosier in the bothy than i expected, didn't even break out my sleeping bag, was warm enough sleeping with my cotton liner inside my bivvi bag. Had a great night's sleep, did wake up briefly to hear two snorers enagaing in a duet but it wasn't enough to awaken me.

I will be honest and say that I don't remember 100% of the night thanks to erm tiredness? Will you guys buy that one? :lol:

Eagerly looking forward to my next bothying opportunity.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby fipriestley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Excellent report and video Alan, great way to share the experience :thumbup: Hope you heal quickly and get lots of sympathy meantime :lol: Lovely to meet you and Eli (briefly!) - look forward to the next one :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm

A fine bothy night :) Great video!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh what a great report and I just love the video...Montys Whisky song is great!!!! Does that exist anywhere else on youtube by the way??? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Looked like great fun(apart from the boulder injury.) Now even more gutted that i couldn't make it to the meet,thanks for that! :lol:
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 pm

It was lovely hearing about the Bothy evening over the weekend there, and its lovely too seeing it and sharing in the magic! :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby mountainstar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:22 am

Mountainlove wrote:Oh what a great report and I just love the video...Montys Whisky song is great!!!! Does that exist anywhere else on youtube by the way??? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you all for your comments.
I'm sure Monty's song is on Youtube or somewhere else as I've seen it, I was waiting for him to reply, but as he has not I will PM him to ask for a link.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby monty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks Mountainstar for inviting me along to Gorton Bothy. I wouldnt have made it without Nathan so a big thanks to Nathan too. It was a brilliant evening of like minded individuals, all different, with jokes, music, poetry and a quiz with a large consumption of alcohol and a blazing fire. Just superb. :D

p.s. I have sent you a pm Moutainlove :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm

What a fantastic video Mountainstar, that looked like a great night captured perfectly in stills and video, though I would have liked to hear some of that legendary snoring :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby heatheronthehills » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Great video, and the pics made it look so warm and welcoming. I've never stayed at a bothy before but now I'm tempted to give it a go!!
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Well posted Alan
The best of times, great entertainment and the making of good friends

gortain 1.jpg

Thanks to all
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland