walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla horseshoe

Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla horseshoe

Postby slatefell » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi folks. Having seen the weather forecast and keen to take advantage of an unforseen window of opportunity (i.e. my wife and two children are elsewhere!) Ive decided to head out to this little beauty of a walk - heavy snowfall permitting. Im leaving Montrose area around 7.00am so if anyone would like to come along and are en-route (or thereabouts) Im happy to collect and take along. Im guessing the weather may not be quite as walker friendly as Sunday looks like it could be but Im packed and ready and going.
Oh, and look, the Glen Isla hotel is on the way back. OMG as they say, these days... :?
slatefell
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:30   

Re: Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla horseshoe

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:08 am

I did this one a few weeks back. It is indeed a fine walk although i struggled as i was still recovering from an ankle injury. If you get a clear day it'll be grand. The view into the Cairnwell pass from Creag Leacach is wonderful.

Enjoy!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla horseshoe

Postby slatefell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, things didnt quite go to plan due to the very high winds and drifting snow so only ended up going up Monega Hill, across to Little Glas Maol and back down the estate track which was absolutely treacherous and not to be recommended on days like yesterday. Still, it was great to be out and about, the conditions did improve as the day went on and was treated to a wonderful display of off-piste Arctic hare-orbatics as they turned and twisted in the spin drift sending huge whirling-dervishes of snow everywhere. Really quite something. I measured the gap between on of their set of footprints and they were almost 2 metres apart. Amazing.
Was really looking forward to a nice pint of real ale from the Glen Isla hotel but there was no on so settled for a cup of tea instead.Oh, and my platypus froze too :(
slatefell
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:30   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs