walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First report, Beinn Chabhair

First report, Beinn Chabhair

Postby Barrie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 12/12/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wake up at 5 a.m. and driving to Inverarnan by 6 a.m. arriving at the Drovers 7.30 and walking accross the Beinglas Farm bridge en route to Beinn Chabhair by 8.00
PC120002.JPG
River Falloch from Beinglas Farm Bridge

Above the Ben Glass Falls the moor is very misty but the forecast is for a clear day and sure enough just after 9.30 things start to clear up.
PC120008.JPG
Meall Mor nan Eag appears through the mist.

PC120012.JPG
and a couple of minutes later

At 10.00 Ive stopped for a teabreak just at the point where the route heads uphill towards Lochan Beinn Chabhair, the morning is now crystal clear with bright sunlight and great views,
PC120018.JPG
PC120017.JPG
Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh in the distance
But I can see wisps of cloud and mist gathering at the top of Chabhair. Anyway by 10.30 I have spent too much time hanging around in the lower section of the walk, not a good idea with limited daylight.
As I approach the Lochan I branch off North up the west side of Meall nan Tarmachan, other walkers are heading towards the East side, by 11.30 I am at the top of Meall nan Tarmachan and feeling at ease with the climb, but the mist is starting to close in.
PC120020.JPG
Lochan Beinn Chabhair from Meall nan Tarmachan

Walking to the East along the top I soon pick up the main route and see some of the other walkers, as we ascend the mist becomes thicker, well I'm here now but it looks like another hill, without the views.
By 1pm I'm at the top, poor visibility, patchy snow turned to ice, icy winds, and frost covered gear, and it feels good to be at the top.
Two other guys just in front of me confirm the top with GPS.
Head back down now, just to below the summit, for some shelter and something to eat.
By 1.30pm some of the mist begins to clear I see my first Brocken Spectre
PC120026.JPG
Brocken Spectre

and by 2.15pm some of the other peaks come into view.
PC120035.JPG
An Caisteal from Beinn Chabhair

Head off down again, and walking along the moor just after 3pm, looking back at Beinn Chabhair
PC120040.JPG
Beinn Chabhair still with cloud on top
and time to get a move on as light is fading.
PC120042.JPG
Meall Mor nan Eag as light fades

Back down at Beinglas Farm Bridge by 4.30
PC120043.JPG
Back at the bridge
and home for 7pm.
Last edited by Barrie on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: First report, Beinn Chabhair

Postby sloosh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah! You got to see a brocken spectre! :) Makes it worth it even if you didn't get the hoped-for clear views on the summit.

How was the walking? Crampon material or clear enough for boots only?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Barrie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:22 pm

sloosh wrote:Yeah! You got to see a brocken spectre! :) Makes it worth it even if you didn't get the hoped-for clear views on the summit.

How was the walking? Crampon material or clear enough for boots only?

Surprised at the absence of snow and ice just small pockets no need for crampons, didnt need to use ice axe.
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Great first post - you look to have had a pretty nice day... I'm surprised how little snow there is there after looking at all those photos on here of various areas plastered with the stuff this last week!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland