walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi guys

Hi guys

Postby ala_fred » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I have been on and of the site for a number of months and have found it very informative .We are thinking of comming to the highlands next summer for a week or two .My main problems are a son who does not walk and so a wife who needs to stay with him so we are looking for a base where thers is lots for them to do So I can go off walking with the older son .
The othe problem is the midges what time and area should we go avoided them .We have been to the lake, peaks and wales so I think he is ready for some bigger and wilder

Alastair
:clap:
ala_fred
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Hi guys

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 am

Welcome to the site membership ala_fred.
Midges are an early June to late September phenomenon, at their worst in warm, still, damp, loch/riverside locations. They have a tendency to be more prevalent on the west coast, than, say, in the Cairngorms but on a bad day, I have been driven just as mad on Deeside as on Skye. Sometimes a sunny day with a breeze and you won't see much of them at all, paticularly in towns, and I have also experienced midge-free weekends in Scotland. In other words, hard to plan a Scottish visit to avoid them....sorry!
Any suggestions about places to visit will depend to some degree upon how much 'bigger and wilder' you mean. Compared to the Lakes, the main 'bigger and wilder' are the munro's and the remote areas. The remote areas such as Torridon, Assynt, Knoydart will have little on offer for the rest of the non walking family. Skye has more going for it in tourist activity, but is a heck of a hike from the south. Wilder and bigger tends to mean north of the central belt. Perth and Pitlochry are pretty with some good (and easier) high walking, but the two obvious centres of 'other family' activity are the (slightly less pretty ) centres of Aviemore and Fort William. These centres would offer access to a wealth of good walking as well as the potential for other things going on. Might be worth googling the tourist/ things to do activities in these areas, then planning walks from this site.
Whatever you decide, enjoy the site and any visit to Scotland
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby ala_fred » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks for advice. We will look into it. Have heard Avimore has a lot of activities for children so a good option. However Skye is even nicer so may go there.
ala_fred
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Hey ala_fred, as Scotjamies says (along with his sound advice on the walking areas of Scotland), it's hard to plan around midges in the Summer.

Arm yourselves with midge nets and invest in some Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Spray as a midge repellent. Not sure where you are writing from but, it's available online from Avon (£3) and Amazon (£4), among others, and can be bought in shops here though you'll pay £5-6 or more (other midge repellents are available). You could take your chances of course and only invest in nets/repellents if you encounter the midge or if you are going to be a frequent visitor.

Have a great time, wherever you decide upon.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...