walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lamina 20 or Lamina 0 (Mountain Hardwear) sleeping bag

Lamina 20 or Lamina 0 (Mountain Hardwear) sleeping bag

Postby SMRussell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 pm

We've (RTMcB and I) been pondering 3-4 season sleeping bags for a while and looking to keep the budget to £80-£120. We're both keen on the Mountain Hardwear Lamina range and wondered whether anyone has used a Lamina 20 or Lamina 0 sleeping bag before and care to offer their opinions on their experience? We'd be using them for standard camping and wild camping.

For our last wild camp (21/09/2012) we camped near the Allt Clais an t-Sabhail between Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine at 1034 meters I used a North Face Cat's Meow (borrowed from a mate). It is a 3-season (like the Lamina 20) and with my thermals on I was nice and snug. But the Cat's Meow is on the pricey side.

Cheers ma dears :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Lamina 20 or Lamina 0 (Mountain Hardwear) sleeping bag

Postby electricfly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Here is a timely bargain for you...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pinole-20-reg-p174099?gclid=CMWv7-eFlbQCFYXLtAodbRcAlA

My GF and I both use MH synthetic bags for all year camping. She has the Pinole 20 as above and has been snug even last January 1st-2nd when we woke up to 6 inches of snow at Bridge of Orchy!

Where it's well below freezing, I'd recommend keeping on a fleece or softshell as well as your base-layers though. Oh, and the obligatory buff and beanie close to hand. :wink:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby SMRussell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Cheers electricfly, but unfortunately its only available from Plymouth 377 miles away any not available for home delivery! As for the keeping on fleeces etc. - this is one thing I've pondered - when testing sleeping bags do they take into account what the individual would be wearing? As mentioned in the original post I had thermals on and I should add a cosy fleece and thick socks during our last wild camp and would intend to do the same for the next.

We get a discount at Cotswold as we are SHAG (Scottish Hillwalking & Activities Group) members which adds to the allure of the Lamina bags
SMRussell

Postby electricfly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Oops, I didn't check the availability. :( Go Outdoors are terrible for that. I'll never understand why they can't just include a delivery fee and allow it to be shipped.

Yeah, I think the comfort figures are based on someone wearing jim jams! :D I usually look to the extreme rating and take another few degrees off that.

I must admit, I usually have a spaniel acting as an extra heat source in mine! Lol
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

electricfly wrote:I must admit, I usually have a spaniel acting as an extra heat source in mine! Lol

I see, I don't need to invest in an expensive sleeping bag, I need to get myself a cuddly mutt to camp with :lol: A great idea!

Having pondered some more, I think the Lamina 20 is going to be it as it is light and with thermals etc. on will no doubt do the job.

Cheers
SMRussell

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk