walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

thermal protection for cameras

thermal protection for cameras

Postby paul2610 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Given that we are (or have for awhile) entered the coldish time of the year, I was wondering, after a few bitter cold mornings in the mountains, if their was any sort of thermal protection avaliable for the camera - being as temps have been below freezing, I cannot imagine it is doing much good for the camera sittting patiently on a tripod awaiting for that moment, so any pointers would be great.

As an off shot question to this, I was wondering, in the munro scheme of things if you get extra points for summiting the same munro 5 times within an hour......no thought not but worth asking!

cheers

Paul
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Re: thermal protection for cameras

Postby mrssanta » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:24 pm

paul2610 wrote:
As an off shot question to this, I was wondering, in the munro scheme of things if you get extra points for summiting the same munro 5 times within an hour......no thought not but worth asking!

cheers

Paul

does that mean you had to run back to pick up the gloves you had dropped - and then the hat - etc etc?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Gythral » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Not looked for a camera overcoat, but what I do is put the camera into a very large ziploc bag and squeeze the air out before putting it back into it's bag, and if it's taken out at home let the condensation form outside the bag...
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tenohfive » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 am

If you keep the camera warmer than the outside air then when you take it out you'll have to wait for awhile for the condensation to disappear. In fact on the contrary I've heard better photographers than me talk about deliberately leaving their gear in the boot overnight before a trip so that when they arrive it's the same temp as outside.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes, I generally leave the camera to be temperature equilibrated, I've had too many shots missed due to condensation.

If it's overnight on a high camp I tend to take the battery out and keep it in my pocket, then slot it in when dawn approaches.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk