walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

From Kinlochewe(/Torridon) to Isle of Skye?

From Kinlochewe(/Torridon) to Isle of Skye?

Postby Lucas_Melissa » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello fellow lovers of Scotland

My boyfriend and I are planning our second trip to Scotland (hurray!) and would like to spend our first week in and around Torridon, where we shall be mountain walking, continuing our trip to the Isle of Skye the week thereafter. We can manage our transportation and residence the first week BUT we don't have any clue as to how to get from Kinlochewe to the Isle of Skye. Let alone pick out a precise location to stay.

So my questions would be the following:
1) How do we get from Kinlochewe to Isle of Skye without a car? (Public transport?)
2) What are YOUR recommendations of places to visit/stay at the Isle of Skye?

3) If there isn't a possibility of travelling to Skye, could you recommend an alternative location in Scotland?

I'd very much love to hear your opinions!

Many greetings and MERRY CHRISTMAS

Two mountain-crazed Belgians
Lucas_Melissa
Hill Bagger

Re: From Kinlochewe(/Torridon) to Isle of Skye?

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Not much public transport in that area, but there are some options. The best way to Skye is to hop on the train at Achnasheen (about 10 miles east), which will take you to Kyle of Lochalsh next to the Skye bridge. There are 5 trains a day ( 2 on Sunday) and a similar frequency of busses from Kyle I think. Getting to Achnasheen from Kinlochewe is slightly more awkward as busses are very irregular on this road ( check http://www.travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/enterJourneyPlan.do ), but you could walk or hitch too.

Loads of great spots on Skye to visit - Elgol, Neist point, The Storr, The Quiraing, Beinn Tianavaig ( and the Black Cuillin obviously) to mention a few. Plenty of other folk on here should have more detailed advice.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: From Kinlochewe(/Torridon) to Isle of Skye?

Postby RicKamila » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Lucas_Melissa wrote:What are YOUR recommendations of places to visit/stay at the Isle of Skye?

Anything on the Skye side of the bridge :D

Head to Uig and check out the Fairy Glen. The Old Man of Storr is spectacular, although there has been forestry work, so is a bit of an eyesore at the moment. Climb Ben Tianavaig near Portree for superb views of Raasay and the Cuillins and you may see Golden Eagles. Fairy Pools near Glen Brittle are lovely. Very highly recommend the Quiraing. Rubha Huinish is magical, especially when its a clear day.

There are 4 or 5 buses a day running from Portree around Trotternish. 57A is the quickest one to Storr and Staffin for the Quiraing. 57C runs quickest to Uig. Get on the wrong one and its an hour or so on a bus, although the scenery is worth it!! Pay the driver as you board. Or stick your thumb out and the locals are very friendly and will quite often give you a lift where you want to go.

Places to eat - try the Isles Inn in Portree. The Granary Cafe is lovely for lunches. Columba 1400 in Staffin has a great restaurant that is also a charity run venture for the kids on Skye who are having a troubled time and gives them work experience.

Places to stay - Have heard wondeful things about Ben Tianavaig B&B. Stayed at Old Byre in Ose, but if you dont have a car, I'd suggest somewhere in Portree.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion