walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which GPS? Back up only!

Which GPS? Back up only!

Postby littlemrs29 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

I have been humming and ha-ing about a GPS for a while now and have decided I may get one in the sales. Problem is I'm not 100% sure what one to get and prefer recommendations. I tried asking who turned out to be a manager in Go Outdoors but he just kept saying 'I don't really know much about these'. I only want to get one as a back up as part of the thrill for me of ever walk is getting the map out and being able to determine where I am but ask go walking myself I think a safety net would be good.

So - any recommendations?
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Which GPS? Back up only!

Postby sloosh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 am

The question you need to answer initially is do you want a gps that simply gives you your location in the form of a grid reference or do you want one that plots your point on a map?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby littlemrs29 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 am

It would be one with map detail - from what I gather anything less is more for geo-caching.
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Postby Gythral » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm

An Andriod phone & Viewranger (or any other GPS app.)
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby sloosh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 pm

littlemrs29 wrote:It would be one with map detail - from what I gather anything less is more for geo-caching.

Then you would be looking at either one of the mapping handhelds from Garmin or a Satmap.

I can't speak to the Garmins as I don't have one but I can speak for the Satmap and they are absolutely brilliant.

You will get recommendations for phone apps and while they are okay for what they do you run a considerable risk of running out of battery if you need to use them for any length of time so I personally wouldn't use one.
sloosh

Postby 54kgx2 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 pm

I bought a garmin Oregon 450 last year and can honestly say its one of the best purchases I've made. However it was a considered purchase as I wouldn't think it would be much use without the full OS UK maps which I bought at the same time. I use it as a back up when walking but love the fact that it tracks where you have been and monitors speed etc. there are lots of reviews on the web. I use rechargables in it and find they last for about 16-18 hrs. The touch screen brightness has never been a problem in the UK. Also works well as a car sat nav - but has no voice just dings to let you know you should make a turn so perhaps only good if you have a passenger to interpret.
54kgx2
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Postby NickScots » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:42 pm

I have a Geko, which I used as a backup. I used it to check my grid refs. I could also add a waypoint and use it to 'goto' that waypoint. They are now under £70. Otherwise get the credit card out for a mapping unit.

Edit- now under £55
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-geko-201-p145025?utm_source=google&utm_medium=SEO+product+search
NickScots

Munros:123   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Postby littlemrs29 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks everyone - I've used view ranger on my phone before just to see how it goes but it really killed the battery and had my partner in a panic when he then couldn't get hold of me! He was just leaving the house to head up the a9 when I pulled up - needless to say a long lecture followed :(

I'm heading to Ratho on Monday so will no doubt have a play with them in Tiso (although in that shop it's definitely a credit card job ha ha)

Thanks again
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Postby sonic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 am

You could buy a spare battery for your phone, I have been checking them out and can get a spare for mine for about 8 pound
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby littlemrs29 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 am

I had picked up a spare battery charger for my iPhone 4 from a festival I was at but unfortunately it doesn't fit my iPhone 5 - they changed the size of the outlet thing :(
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Postby sloosh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't think Tiso do Satmaps but in case it is of interest to you Amazon are currently offering the Satmap with full GB 1:500000 OS mapping for £329 which is a bit of a bargain as I had to buy the maps on top of the cost of the unit.
sloosh

Postby sonic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:24 pm

littlemrs29 wrote:I had picked up a spare battery charger for my iPhone 4 from a festival I was at but unfortunately it doesn't fit my iPhone 5 - they changed the size of the outlet thing :(

Meant a spare battery you could fit on the hill not a charger. Don't know how easy it is to change battery on an iphone though.
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby ScottishScript » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 am

After much research on GPS units, my initial conclusion was you can either pay little for map-less low end units, or ten times more for one with decent maps. However.

You can buy a Garmin Dakota 10 for less than £100 quid which comes with very basic mapping, but there are websites where you can download open source mapping for free, and I mean maps with roads, trees, mountains, contours etc. Because the Dakota 10 has some memory you basically install the maps and you're good to go, for cheap.

The maps are so accurate the unit will tell you what side of the pavement you're standing. So not too shabby. :D
ScottishScript
Munro compleatist

Fionas:1   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am

littlemrs29 wrote:Thanks everyone - I've used view ranger on my phone before just to see how it goes but it really killed the battery and had my partner in a panic when he then couldn't get hold of me! He was just leaving the house to head up the a9 when I pulled up - needless to say a long lecture followed :(

I'm heading to Ratho on Monday so will no doubt have a play with them in Tiso (although in that shop it's definitely a credit card job ha ha)

Thanks again

I use Viewranger on my phone and I've had it running for about 9-10 hours before the battery threatened to run out. If you turn off 3G and mobile data it stops the phone constantly looking for a 3G signal and saves a lot of battery power.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby GaryandDawn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm

I've a Garmin E-Trek 20 with some basic maps installed (Contours water etc)

I just program it with my route and off I go, I keep my maps on me as a back up, I've never had any bother with doing it this way.
GaryandDawn
Ambler

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk