walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Garbh - a most satisfactory Plan D

Creag Garbh - a most satisfactory Plan D

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Gharbh

Date walked: 27/12/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 660m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday 27th was a date on the calendar on the kitchen wall with the words HILL WALKING written large beside it. However, as Boxing Day dawned, it became clear that the following day was going to be blessed with far from ideal weather conditions. MWIS and other forecast sources all agreed - north east was going to be best. Plan A had been to knock off Beinn Narnain and her Top A' Chrois from Succoth, but the Loch Lomond area got a particularly bad forecast on MWIS which all but urged complete avoidance of the higher ground in that area. I had been looking for one last Munro of 2012 to take me to the elusive half way mark and Narnain had seemed to fit the bill. I have long been planning an overnighter taking in Narnain along with Ime and the two Corbetts, but figured that if Narnain had already been done by then, it would take some of the pressure away from such an outing, should I find myself pushed for time or stamina. There were a few other options open to me, but none of them appealed for one reason or another.

I turned my attention to the Corbetts as I also needed just the one more to take that tally up to 50, but again, nothing looked suitable for the situation, especially as the morning was wearing on and with my wife getting herself ready to get out the door to her work, I kind of felt obliged to hang around until my parents arrived to take their granddaughter away for the day. Plan B never really got off the ground.

So, the Grahams then? I hadn't done a Graham in 6 months since Mor Bheinn on the evening England were dumped out of Euro 2012 by the Italians. I turned my attention to the Angus Grahams, notably Hill of Wirren and the Cat Law/Corwharn pairing. But by now, with inspiration still proving hard to pin down, I wasn't sure that time would be on my side for either of these routes. There goes plan C.

And so to Plan D - Creag Garbh, the little Graham on the south side of Loch Tay near Killin. It had long been earmarked for a day such as this. OK, it was not exactly in a north easterly direction, where the forecast looked the most favorable, but it wasn't entirely that far west either. It would do, and it had the advantage of easy access on the tarmac track up to the Breachlaich Dam.

IMG_1280.JPG
Start by the bridge over the Achmore Burn

IMG_1283.JPG
Meall Corrainaich and Beinn Ghlas

IMG_1285.JPG
Western end of Loch Tay

IMG_1289.JPG
Winter is wonderful!

IMG_1290.JPG
Lucy loves winter too

IMG_1291.JPG
Sparkly tree

IMG_1292.JPG
Sparkly tree B&W

IMG_1295.JPG
Gate out of the forestry by the transmitter mast

IMG_1297.JPG
Back to the Glen Dochart hills

IMG_1298.JPG
First sighting of the dam

IMG_1299.JPG
Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

IMG_1300.JPG
Junction just before the dam

At the junction just before the dam I turned right and followed the track round to the far end of the dam wall before walking across the wall to the main track side, where I stopped and had lunch.

IMG_1303.JPG
North to the Tarmachan Ridge and the western end of the Lawers group

IMG_1304.JPG
Creag Garbh behind Lochan Breachlaich

IMG_1305.JPG
Corrainaich, Ghlas and Lawers over the dam wall

IMG_1306.JPG
Dam wall close up

IMG_1308.JPG
Glen Lochay with Meall Ghaordaidh on the far skyline

IMG_1311.JPG
Lucy on the dam

From there it was a straightforward walk to the big bend about a kilometre south of the summit, where it was a real wrench to leave the easy going of the track.

IMG_1315.JPG
Looking back from the far side of Lochan Breachlaich

I crossed initially boggy ground and headed past a couple of ruined old buildings (not much more than a pile of stones forming the outline of a building) and then up the side of the big crags. From the flat ground immediately above the crags, the trig point was visible a short distance to the north.

IMG_1320.JPG
Ruined building beneath the crags

IMG_1323.JPG
The neighbouring Graham of Meall Buidhe

IMG_1326.JPG
Summit view to Glens Dochart and Lochay with Killin between them

IMG_1328.JPG
East along Loch Tay from the summit

From the summit I headed initially west before looping back around to rejoin the track a short distance before the loch.

It turned out to be a nice shortish, relatively easy day, and I caught the best of the weather on offer. There was barely any wind at all, and the snow stayed off until the homeward straight. From the skies out to the west, it looked like Plan A would have been very ill advised. Just as well for Plan D then!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Creag Garbh - a most satisfactory Plan D

Postby ChrisW » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:43 am

Great report of a cracking wee wander Graeme, nice to see some snow rather than damn rain that seems to be an absolute requirement of UK reports of late :roll: Great to see Lucy out there helping you along on this one too :D As for the delayed arrival of the grandparents ....:shock: if I get a hint of a chance of spending the day with my grandson I'm on the doorstep before daylight :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby heatheronthehills » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 am

Haha, I thought your pics were taken in black and white until I saw the red sign on the fence :wink: What a fantastic walk and beautiful photos. Looks like Lucy had a fab time too :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am

Good man. Nice to steal a wee hill. Looking forward to our Corbett duo this week.
All the best at the bells.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:37 am

Sounds like you had a great day out...and a wise decision regarding the weather. You have some really lovely photos as well :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby basscadet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am

Enjoyed reading that G :) I'm glad I'm not the only one that canny mak a decision :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:38 pm

well organised Graeme - think if I got past Plan B I'd just stay in bed :lol: looks a nice walk and so much better than the current wind and rain - all the best for the new year - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 pm

Well done on getting out and for not letting anything stop you. My Plan A for today went out the window when I heard the wind during the night so it's been postponed until tomorrow :oops: :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Cheers guys, and all the best to everyone at the bells tonight and in 2013.

kevsbald wrote:Good man. Nice to steal a wee hill. Looking forward to our Corbett duo this week.
All the best at the bells.

Likewise. Fingers crossed for some half decent weather.

heatheronthehills wrote:Haha, I thought your pics were taken in black and white until I saw the red sign on the fence :wink: What a fantastic walk and beautiful photos. Looks like Lucy had a fab time too :)

Some are in B&W and even some of the ones that aren't kind of look like they are, especially some of the earlier ones in the trees! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 pm

That looks a great Plan D Graeme :D Some cracking photos :D Sometimes these shorter walks can be equally as rewarding as the epics as far as views and the sheer enjoyment of the day :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Great report on a fine wee hill, one to keep up my sleeve also. All the best to everyone at the bells tonight. Fingers crossed might get something local done tomorrow, no promises though, an Angus Graham maybe?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:05 pm

smashing report on a great wee walk.
Graeme D...does a Graham .....via Plan D
It was meant to be :)
Let me know when you might do your half way munro - would be nice to get 141 on the same hill!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby londonwalker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Great photies G super little walk too. I'm impressed you got a list of possibles to cover every occasion HNY
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby colingray8 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Good report Graham,

So good I'll try this on on Sunday as a recce for a club walk.

Thanks,

/Colin. :D
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland