walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Outdoor shops Aberdeen area?

Outdoor shops Aberdeen area?

Postby kazuhart » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi folks, I really want to buy a pair of good walking boots but are there any shops in the Aberdeen area that provide a better service to help you find the best boots for you. I know about Cotswold, craigdon and tiso. Where do the local aberdonians go for their perfect boots? I don't have a price range as if their the right boots then I will just buy them!

Thanks Karen
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Outdoor shops Aberdeen area?

Postby GaryandDawn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I know you've already mentioned them but I used craigdon in Inverurie for a pair about 4 years ago (The pair I'm selling)

Superb service, feet measured, helped with selection based on that and the beauty was that after my purchase, I went straight up "Mither Tap" as it was only 10 mins away
GaryandDawn
Ambler

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby copacetic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

I can heartily recommend Craigdon in Aberdeen for their seemingly infinite supply of patience when I was choosing my boots - must've tried about ten pairs before whittling it down to a pair of Meidl's, with no pressure to buy. The folks in Nevis Sport just round the corner have always been very helpful too.

Kev.
copacetic
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 am

Aye like nevis sport ma sell and the folk in Blacks seem very helpful.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I found Nevis Sport, Blacks and Tisos all have the same Corporate attitude and some poor manners sometimes. Craigdon have been consistently good, sometimes they have good reductions. I once got a pair of fantastic Berghaus winter climbing boots for less than half price there. Well worth popping in regularly to check out what is available.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tomsie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Craigdon in Inverurie I find best, Blacks in city centre are freindly too.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Blacks are very friendly. Im quite biased towards Millets and Cotswolds. Anyone been into the Trespass shop in Trinity Mall yet?

There's that blokes shop opposite the Queen Street Police HQ that sells outdoor gear. He always has a massive selection of shoes, but not sure how good it is.

On a slightly off-topic, but still on-topic thing, I was speaking to Mountain Warehouse staff in Livingstone recently and they said that they are looking to re-open in Aberdeen and that the reason they closed on Union Street was the high cost involved with being on that street, even though that store was making a killing.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm

RicKamila wrote:Blacks are very friendly. Im quite biased towards Millets and Cotswolds. Anyone been into the Trespass shop in Trinity Mall yet?

There's that blokes shop opposite the Queen Street Police HQ that sells outdoor gear. He always has a massive selection of shoes, but not sure how good it is.

On a slightly off-topic, but still on-topic thing, I was speaking to Mountain Warehouse staff in Livingstone recently and they said that they are looking to re-open in Aberdeen and that the reason they closed on Union Street was the high cost involved with being on that street, even though that store was making a killing.

I was in past for a quick look when it opened and got a long sleeve technical top which seems good quality however i kind a thought i would rather just shop in blacks or nevis i guess it depends what you want really.
Will probably pop in the summer time for a look at the t shirts.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm

RicKamila wrote:There's that blokes shop opposite the Queen Street Police HQ that sells outdoor gear. He always has a massive selection of shoes, but not sure how good it is.

MacKayes? That is a very strange place... I got ex-War Dept snow-shoes and grappling hooks there. They used to have a pile of dubbin tins from the Great War, and some weird stuff like gas masks, flared cat-suits and shirts with frills down the front and massive collars from the 1970s. I just wait for the news that someone has been killed after being caught in a terrible shirt avalanche.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
RicKamila wrote:There's that blokes shop opposite the Queen Street Police HQ that sells outdoor gear. He always has a massive selection of shoes, but not sure how good it is.

MacKayes? That is a very strange place... I got ex-War Dept snow-shoes and grappling hooks there. They used to have a pile of dubbin tins from the Great War, and some weird stuff like gas masks, flared cat-suits and shirts with frills down the front and massive collars from the 1970s. I just wait for the news that someone has been killed after being caught in a terrible shirt avalanche.

It's ok, he's opposite the police HQ so within a matter of seconds help would be on hand!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby kazuhart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm

I think I got a pair of rubber boots for a festival from at shop across fae the police station, :wink:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll go to craigdon for my boots, iv never heard of Nevis sports or blacks so nae sure where they are in Aberdeen.
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Postby copacetic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Nevis & Blacks (and Tiso) are all about fifty yards from Craigdon in different directions - keeps 'em all competitive. By the way, you can sign up for the Craigdon discount card (it's free to do so) and they'll now give you 11% off everything except maps. Good luck with the boots!
copacetic
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:7   

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

kazuhart wrote:I think I got a pair of rubber boots for a festival from at shop across fae the police station, :wink:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll go to craigdon for my boots, iv never heard of Nevis sports or blacks so nae sure where they are in Aberdeen.

Have never had a good experience with Nevisport, so you aren't missing much.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

I also use Craigdon, Inverurie.
I wouldn't trust the sales advice from any Aberdeen gear shop.

Great shop if you are ever up in Inverness - Macpherson Mountaineering.
foggieclimber

Postby Tomsie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Didnt know Trespass had a shop in Aberdeen, my 2 jackets are trespass.

That shop by police station is ok have bought shoes there for work, loads of stuff in side
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk