walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

BBC News:Anger at poo on footpath to mountain Creag Meagaidh

BBC News:Anger at poo on footpath to mountain Creag Meagaidh

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes, apparently an avalanche risk forecasting team found human poop on the footpath up to Creag Meagaidh. How thoroughly grim.

I've unfortunately experienced the displeasure of dog poo on mountain paths, including a bagged dog poo on the path to the summit of Beinn Ime which bamboozled me; why go to the bother of bagging it if you are just going to leave the poop and bag on the hill? :crazy: Thankfully I have not encountered human excrement in the hills. Fair enough if you really can't hold it in but surly you'd at least crimp it off somewhere other than the footpath and make attempt to bury it... surly!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-20932209
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: BBC News:Anger at poo on footpath to mountain Creag Meag

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:39 pm

It's hard to figure just what goes on in peoples heads sometimes :crazy: I know a lad who goes rock climbing and thinks it's acceptable to taken a dump while awaiting his turn on a route. I realise the call of nature is unavoidable if you wild camp, but on a day out when you've had your own facilities and public loos on the road it must be some strange kind of exhibitionism :shock: .
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Some years ago a mate of mine, on a very hungover ascent of Curved Ridge, grabbed a handhold and found it full of human poo. Also recall tales of bypassing a large turd on the traverse of Cioch West, a climbing route on Skye. People are capable of all sorts of sh*tty behaviour. :crazy:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:51 pm

What do all the wild campers at Derry lodge do for a dump. SAS style is better do it in a bag and take it with you :lol: .
Mind you if you want to see plenty dog muck just walk along most streets in Aberdeen fit a state they are.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm

There's been a nice big beefy turd at the foot of a route at Dumbarton Rock they could have written a story about. It's been there for three weeks and is melting away quite nicely......
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby RTMcB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Whilst not a story about no.2's or hills. I was once golfing with a Dutchman who thought it was ok to just turn around and go no.1 :crazy: on a public golf course with no shelter.
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Postby GableNovice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Whilst taking some first timers up Ben Nevis last summer by the arete route we encountered a particularly large and gruesome number 2 on the path, round from the lochan to the CIC hut.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:11   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I can honestly say I have never felt the need when on the hills, even on overnighters (although some public toilets in Braemar and Glenmore pay brutal testament to that).

I diet rich in lager and takeaway pizza and training in my formative years by having to go a whole weekend avoiding the T in the Park toilets has given me Zen like control over the bowel.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Benjaminnevis wrote:What do all the wild campers at Derry lodge do for a dump. SAS style is better do it in a bag and take it with you :lol: .
Mind you if you want to see plenty dog muck just walk along most streets in Aberdeen fit a state they are.

There is a toilet at the Bob Scott's :wink:

Its pretty gross that folk leave it where others could find it.. There is a lot of wilderness out there to choose a spot that isn't where other folk are likely to be :roll:

I wild camp a lot, so it is enevitable you have to go sometimes. I have a set of rules that hopefully mean no-one ever comes across it, and no burns are contaminated. Keep the hills clean for ahbody is the aim of the game ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote: I know a lad who goes rock climbing and thinks it's acceptable to taken a dump while awaiting his turn on a route. :shock: .

I.have.no.words!

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Some years ago a mate of mine, on a very hungover ascent of Curved Ridge, grabbed a handhold and found it full of human poo.

Perhaps johnkaysleftleg rock climbing mate had been up there a day or so before :shock: That's really, oh god really grim!

Benjaminnevis wrote:. Mind you if you want to see plenty dog muck just walk along most streets in Aberdeen fit a state they are.

Aye, ken fit ye mean like :crazy: Unfortunately Aberdeen isn't the only urban space to suffer from the mutt-muck problem. Seems to be a perennial issue

Kevin29035 wrote:There's been a nice big beefy turd at the foot of a route at Dumbarton Rock they could have written a story about. It's been there for three weeks and is melting away quite nicely......

Pleased to have put off visits to Dumby until later in the year!

RTMcB wrote:Whilst not a story about no.2's or hills. I was once golfing with a Dutchman who thought it was ok to just turn around and go no.1 :crazy: on a public golf course with no shelter.

Thankfully RTMcB is not a keen golfer - that would have been the most horrifying post of all otherwise!

GableNovice wrote:Whilst taking some first timers up Ben Nevis last summer by the arete route we encountered a particularly large and gruesome number 2 on the path, round from the lochan to the CIC hut.

Close to the CIC hut... explains everything!

NickyRannoch wrote:my formative years by having to go a whole weekend avoiding the T in the Park toilets has given me Zen like control over the bowel.

The man makes a good point - word to the wise - music festivals and imodium plus go hand in hand if you want to avoid visiting a portaloo for a lengthy stay (a poop) past the 1st 12 hours of the event.

basscadet wrote: I wild camp a lot, so it is enevitable you have to go sometimes. I have a set of rules that hopefully mean no-one ever comes across it, and no burns are contaminated. Keep the hills clean for ahbody is the aim of the game ;)

Quite - good solid trowel is an essential for a WC (see what I did there).

The mind boggles. Also, as I stated to someone earlier on facebook after they'd posted the article on my wall (I hope due to my obvious enjoyment of the Scottish hills as opposed to anything else): "the headline does make me imagine a Mr Hanky being given a thorough telling off on the footpath by the avalanche risk forecasting team. Obviously the Mr Hanky has an upset look on his face because as a poop, it is not strictly speaking his fault that he was crimped off on a footpath. The headline should read "Anger at individual who pooped on the footpath to (the) mountain Creag Meagaidh" if we were to be fair to the poo".
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

basscadet wrote:
Benjaminnevis wrote:What do all the wild campers at Derry lodge do for a dump. SAS style is better do it in a bag and take it with you :lol: .

There is a toilet at the Bob Scott's :wink:

Its pretty gross that folk leave it where others could find it.. There is a lot of wilderness out there to choose a spot that isn't where other folk are likely to be :roll:

I wild camp a lot, so it is enevitable you have to go sometimes. I have a set of rules that hopefully mean no-one ever comes across it, and no burns are contaminated. Keep the hills clean for ahbody is the aim of the game ;)

Thanks BC i niver noo there wiz a toilet er so handy to ken at as may try camping er ma sell come june july am nae as hardy as you and doogie camping oot all year roon.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby sloosh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

I was on my way up to Meal Nan Tarmachan, about 300 yards from the deer fence. A guy who was coming down the path stopped on the other side of the fence, dropped his kegs and laid a large log about 2 feet from the path. In full view! Disgusting :(
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby ed_hill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Are they sure it was a human poo and not one of my lamb koftas??

IMG_2966.JPG

:lol: :lol:
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby Simo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Anybody bothered checking out the pronunciation of this hill yet :lol:
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119
Wainwrights:214   

Postby GableNovice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 pm

thanks ed I'd just ordered take-out when i saw that :shock: :lol:
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:11   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion