walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking in highlands - january 28th to february 6th

Walking in highlands - january 28th to february 6th

Postby choupacha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 am

Hi,
so to begin, please excuse me for my English... it's could be better...
I'm Belgian student and I want walking on this way (view attachment).
My studing break is only durig this period : Januray 21th to February 6th.

I'm not a beginer on mountains : I did GR10 last year and a part of GR20

My questions :
- what do you thing about the way?
- the weather? if it's snow, my way isn't dangerous?

thank's for your answers... And sorry angain about my level in English

Choupacha
Attachments
3.1 final.JPG
my projet way
choupacha
Munro compleatist

Re: Walking in highlands - january 28th to february 6th

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 am

There could be snow/ice on the Mamores which would be dangerous without crampons/ice axe. The lower parts of your route will probably be rather wet.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 am

What fun would it be if it isn't dangerous? :lol:
Aye, it will be cold and wet, so make sure you have adequate clothing as well as the aforementioned crampons and axe, and you will no doubt have a grand story to tell upon your return :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby choupacha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

Tanks for your recommandations
Is it OK if I use a chain anti-slide that we install on shoes and sticks of walking?
about my clothing, it's not a problem.

About clothes, it is not a problem. I use clothing against cold and moisture.

Another question:

I plan (see attachment) to my escapade in 5 days (and 1 in secure). Does this sound correct? I am using the GPS planner site and provides 8 hours of walking per day. more would be impossible with sunrise and sunset.

again a big thank you for your help.
@ Basscadet: indeed, it will give me a great experience and a famous story.
Attachments
2.185.JPG
map
choupacha
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am

choupacha wrote:My questions :
- what do you thing about the way?
- the weather? if it's snow, my way isn't dangerous?

Hi there,

It looks like you have chosen your route by following footpaths on the map - some of your route is not well used: the footpaths are not waymarked and may be hard to follow in places, especially in bad weather and if buried under snow. One of the sections (An Garbhanach in the Mamores) contains some technical ground on a narrow and exposed ridge, and should not be attempted without axe and crampons. It might be better to stay on the lower ground and avoid the higher sections of your route.

The weather in Scotland at this time of year can be very challenging: although is is unlikely to be very cold the main hazards are very strong winds, snow, rain, very poor visibility and short amounts of daylight. You will need a very good quality tent for camping in these conditions, and even then it can be a rather miserable experience. You may also find that some rivers are difficult to cross.

Hope that helps,
Mark.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

choupacha wrote:I plan (see attachment) to my escapade in 5 days (and 1 in secure). Does this sound correct? I am using the GPS planner site and provides 8 hours of walking per day. more would be impossible with sunrise and sunset.

You need to take into account that snow can slow you down a lot: easily by a factor of two if it is deep and soft!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby choupacha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi Mark
In fact, I chose the route depending on the card. I use a Garmin GPS with a map "BirdsEye Select Great Britain" at 1:125,000.
I expected a tent for high winds (tested last year with 80km / h).
The part that worries me the most is indeed "An Garbhanach" and is definitely my main preoccupation for the preparations.
Regarding rivers, I also see some difficult passages. I provided a second route (very close to the first) in order to pass these rivers.

If, when I arrived I noticed that the weather is too élatoire I chagerai altitude route.
I look after the "West Highland Way" from Fort William up to Tyndrum.
I hesitated as to the way into Inverness.
I hope that my route is practicable but I do not intend to play the tourist who knows everything and puts his life in danger unnecessarily.

Thank you for your reply which really helps me.
choupacha
Munro compleatist

Postby choupacha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

jmarkb wrote:
choupacha wrote:I plan (see attachment) to my escapade in 5 days (and 1 in secure). Does this sound correct? I am using the GPS planner site and provides 8 hours of walking per day. more would be impossible with sunrise and sunset.

You need to take into account that snow can slow you down a lot: easily by a factor of two if it is deep and soft!

Yes it is an additional factor. If I keep this route, I intend to keep my two days of safety and use them if the snow becomes too hard

Tanks
choupacha
Munro compleatist

Postby balgonie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Choupacha firstly let me congratulate you on your English, although I've nothing to offer regarding your planned journey, you seem to know what your doing and I hope you have an enjoyable time stay safe! :)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby choupacha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you :D
I hope too

I'll give you news after my trip.
And thank you everyone, your post helped me a lot
choupacha
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

choupacha wrote:The part that worries me the most is indeed "An Garbhanach" and is definitely my main preoccupation for the preparations.

Yes, this section is really mountaineering and not hiking in winter conditions! Another section which might be tricky to follow is the path to the north and east of Sgurr Eilde Mor: this is an old deer hunters path which is almost never used by walkers these days: I'm not sure how much actually still exists on the ground.

If you start on the West highland Way, then continuing to Tyndrum or Crianalarich would be a good option if the weather isn't good.

Here's a possible, but still pretty challenging alternative for you for the Rannoch to Fort William part:

RannochFW.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hope the weather is good and you have a great time in Scotland!

Mark.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

There are a few bothies (basic open shelters) in the area which are worth knowing about: details are here http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/region.asp?region_id=5 (but you should still carry the tent!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby morag1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Choupaca, some great advice you have been given :D

Welcome to Scotland and I hope you have a great time, please remember to post a report for us all to read :D
morag1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion