walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Coe, The Saville House Argument

Glen Coe, The Saville House Argument

Postby cheekykarma » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 am

Well first of all, entering Glen Coe and driving along to see a house marked with BEAST and whatever else - is a not the best for Glen Coe.

And, misfortunate that the owner was Mr Saville.

However suggestions that a house should be torn down because Saville lived in it!! ? Really? What is next? Burn the villages, wipe towns off the map?

In the case of the West murders and horrors then demolishing the house was pretty much sensible. Nothing so far links this house to crimes. As well as may I add nothing yet in court has proven the crimes of Saville! The house the property has long history and deserves to remain as one of the few buildings of Glen Coe.

Boleskine House exists despite the horror and the drama of the Beast Crowley 666 ...............

For me I say for goodness sake, the house did nothing! Let it remain, let time move on, lets not make it a blight on the landscape and turn it into something good. The house should remain a great spot in Glen Coe.

What it has always been, despite its previous ownership.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Glen Coe, The Saville House Argument

Postby Milesy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 am

It wil always be Hamish Macinnes' house to me. Not savilles. Macinnes had a massive influence in the glen and deserves a lot of respect for his services to the mountaineering world. I daresay modern mountaineering would not be where it is without him.

I have proposed to several people my thoughts that it should be turned into the Hamish Macinnes Mountaineering Hut for use by anyone wishing to venture into the hills.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby cheekykarma » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 am

I was surprised when I learned Saville had it. And in the Louis Theroux where he claims to own the mountain? I thought noooo you do not!

Memories of Saville and Glen Coe will rapidly vanish as there was no links really he spent time yes, but the proper thing would be to remember Hamish ..... and doing so delete the memory of Saville from the house, not to delete the house itself........
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby GableNovice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am

Maybe the house could be used as an outreach centre to support people who have been sexually abused. Using the house as a place to help people come to terms with they've been through and move on would be an especially moving and poignant use for the building. And looking at the setting there's not many more beautiful valleys in the world to deal with trauma through therapy and such.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:11   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

Unfortunately some people will use any excuse to deface property and try an ruin the natural beauty of a place. :(
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dunirie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Milesy wrote:It wil always be Hamish Macinnes' house to me. Not savilles. Macinnes had a massive influence in the glen and deserves a lot of respect for his services to the mountaineering world. I daresay modern mountaineering would not be where it is without him.

I have proposed to several people my thoughts that it should be turned into the Hamish Macinnes Mountaineering Hut for use by anyone wishing to venture into the hills.

i will second that!! fantastic idea :D
dunirie
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby luibnaclach » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 pm

macinnes will be remembered forever,once the scumbag press get off the case saville will be quickly forgotten.
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Postby Tom Lane » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 am

An excellent online article giving a bit of recent history for the cottage is posted here http://crankitupgear.blogspot.co.uk/, well worth a read, as is Alastair Borthwicks' wonderful book, Always a Little Further
Tom Lane
Munro compleatist

Munros:189   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Milesy wrote: it should be turned into the Hamish Macinnes Mountaineering Hut for use by anyone wishing to venture into the hills.

Agreed!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby IainG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Whitewash off the vandalism.

Pay for a security company or a policeman to 'staff' the place, or give it over to the Royal Marines for mountain training until this whole 'im part of the hatred bandwagon' blows over. There's always a crowd who jump on the grief or hatred wave, almost like they're not satisfied until they're 'part of it'. Crazy :shock:

There's no excuse for Saviles behaviour, but to take it out on a house he apparently stayed in, in such an important place is just bonkers.

The best thing to do with it?........gift it to Wetherspoons and let them open it as a pub. Could do with a decent pub in the area anyway! :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion