walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

North Ridge Lhotse womens Down Jacket for Kili?

North Ridge Lhotse womens Down Jacket for Kili?

Postby Vicky and Karl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi

Just been to Go outdoors and they have this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-lhotse-jacket-womens-p206430 for £83, going up Kili in 5 weeks and looking for something for when in camp and doing the last night for summit... also for when around the hills here?

Does anyone have this? would you recomend? tried it on very comfy.

Cheers for advice in advance.

Vicky
Vicky and Karl
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:8   

Re: North Ridge Lhotse womens Down Jacket for Kili?

Postby Rudolph » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:05 pm

May well be fine for Kili (don't know it) but in Scotland down jackets have a niche role. Great for keeping warm during a high camp or waiting around in a cold place over lunch. They make good pillows too. But not much use for walking in. They are too warm and too sensitive to moisture.

I love mine for wild camping and walking round the village when it's cold and dry but have only used once while walking.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 pm

i love my down jacket ..would defo reccomend ..it has become my standard winter jacket ..so warm and snuggly, and so light ..fine for flat walks or descending ..i dont wear it ascending as would be too warm ..go get it now before they sell out! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Vicky and Karl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:i love my down jacket ..would defo reccomend ..it has become my standard winter jacket ..so warm and snuggly, and so light ..fine for flat walks or descending ..i dont wear it ascending as would be too warm ..go get it now before they sell out! :D

Thank you, went and bought it last night, wore it this morning de icing the car.... so snuggly, got my North Ridge pinaccle 4 sleeping bag for £50 so well chuffed, all my Kit sorted for Kili now. :crazy: :crazy:

Vicky
Vicky and Karl
Mountain Walker

Postby kaye.cantlay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am

I took a down jacket up Kili in 2008.
I wore it on the ascent day, and in camp, and indeed slept in it at base camp.
The pre-ascent evening and ascent day were FREEZING - minus 20, and even in multiple layers (thermal underwear, thick top, fleece, down jacket and trousers, 2 pairs gloves, 2 pairs socks, woolen hat, INSIDE my 5 season sleeping bag....I was still too cold (and anxious) to get any sleep before the ascent!!
I added my waterproofs to the above layers when we set off walking - you will ascend incredibly slowly over about 6 hours, so don't warm up as much as you'd think. I think I took the waterproofs off as I did get a bit hot, but the rest of the layers are still on (just checked summit photos!!)
Anyway - a fantastic experience all round - even including horrific altitude sickness that had me vomiting the whole way up the final ascent and losing half a stone in a week!!!
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Vicky and Karl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:45 pm

kaye.cantlay wrote:I took a down jacket up Kili in 2008.
I wore it on the ascent day, and in camp, and indeed slept in it at base camp.
The pre-ascent evening and ascent day were FREEZING - minus 20, and even in multiple layers (thermal underwear, thick top, fleece, down jacket and trousers, 2 pairs gloves, 2 pairs socks, woolen hat, INSIDE my 5 season sleeping bag....I was still too cold (and anxious) to get any sleep before the ascent!!
I added my waterproofs to the above layers when we set off walking - you will ascend incredibly slowly over about 6 hours, so don't warm up as much as you'd think. I think I took the waterproofs off as I did get a bit hot, but the rest of the layers are still on (just checked summit photos!!)
Anyway - a fantastic experience all round - even including horrific altitude sickness that had me vomiting the whole way up the final ascent and losing half a stone in a week!!!

Thanks Kaye, went up to Loch Achray at the weekend and found my jacket to come in very useful, love it!! I will take note of your atire on Kili :shock: :shock: and make sure I have warm socks and good thermals to :lol: only 24 sleeps until I go and cant wait, but did find last night camping where my cold spots were!!

VIcky
Vicky and Karl
Mountain Walker

Postby kaye.cantlay » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 pm

ENJOY!!!
Looking forward to a report :)
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk