walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

White Mounth Munros advice needed

White Mounth Munros advice needed

Postby pmallan1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to do the White Mounth munros by the shortest route (without Lochnagar). 2 years ago I broke my talus (foot bone) and as a result don't have the same endurance as I used to, so 10 hour days aren't really possible unfortunately. It's frustrating but I try not to let it get in the way of things.

I climbed Lochnagar recently, from the Glen Muick car park so don't need to revisit it - although in hindsight I perhaps should have included Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach in that trip!

I'd happily do the remaining 4 over 2 trips so any experience anyone has would be appreciated :D

Thanks!
pmallan1
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:15

Re: White Mounth Munros advice needed

Postby whiteburn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm

The remainder can either tackled a one trip from Glen Callater, cycle into the lodge.
OR break into 2 trips:
Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn from Glen Clova, you can bike the first bit.
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach from Callater.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Rudolph » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Is wild camping an option for you?
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach can also be done as a pair from the Bridge of Dee: maybe a km or two shorter than the Callater approach, but there's not much in it in terms of effort. Both approaches have their own charms: Loch Callater on one hand and Ballochbuie woods and Garbh Allt falls on the other.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

jmarkb wrote:Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach can also be done as a pair from the Bridge of Dee: maybe a km or two shorter than the Callater approach, but there's not much in it in terms of effort. Both approaches have their own charms: Loch Callater on one hand and Ballochbuie woods and Garbh Allt falls on the other.

I think you mean Invercauld Bridge? Bridge o dee would be an affy lang walk :lol:
Seriously though, Go up from Invercauld, You could bag all 4 and probably tolmount as well in 6 hours fae there ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby pmallan1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, much appreciated - seems like it doesn't have to be a massively long day then!

Rudolph - Is wild camping an option for you?
- Yes I'm quite up for a wild camp - it had crossed my mind as an option.

basscadet - Seriously though, Go up from Invercauld, You could bag all 4 and probably tolmount as well in 6 hours fae there
- 6 hours sounds very doable so i'll probably look into that route!

cheers!
pmallan1
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:15

Postby whiteburn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

basscadet wrote:[quote="j...Seriously though, Go up from Invercauld, You could bag all 4 and probably tolmount as well in 6 hours fae there ;)

The ascent of Lochnagar and Stuic from Invercauld Bridge is indeed a good day out .

BUT ticking 'all 4' from Invercauld is ~ 30km route with 1200m ascent, same as the 5 Munroe 'White Mounth" route.
Hardly a 6hr day out unless you're going to run it and you're not recovering from having a broken foot. :roll: :roll:

Did the round (for the umpteenth time) + Conacraig back in October and wild camped just west of Broad Cairn (took <7hrs to get to campsite), grass is a bit lumpy but OK, picked up water west of Cairn Bannoch.
Next day took a walk cross country to Shielin of Mark bothy and then back down to car park, a bit of a tougher day.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am

basscadet wrote:I think you mean Invercauld Bridge? Bridge o dee would be an affy lang walk :lol:

Ha! Yes, Invercauld Bridge, a.k.a. Bridge of Dee as well as the better known one a lot further downstream!
Oddly enough, the OS 1:50000 map calls the old bridge Invercauld Bridge and the new one that carries the road Bridge of Dee. On the 1:25000 maps it's the other way around!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi, if I can be of any help, this is the way I did the four - also in two trips:

Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach and Carn an t-Sagairt Mor from Loch Callater - as someone mentioned above, the track up to the lodge can be cycled, it saves a bit of time. The ascent to the 1st Munro is on good stalkers path and no drastic steep sections anywhere :lol:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19378

Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch from Loch Muick. This approach is a bit long-ish but it includes a visit to the magnificent cliffs of Creag an Dubh-Loch:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19380
Whichever route you pick, enjoy you trip and have lots of fun :D :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

From Glen Muick aye prefer broad cairn first by heading to the far end oh the loch missing out the zig zag landrover track and take the path up from there and you can branch off after carn a choire bhoindheach and head for the path down to Glas-allt Shiel house.

Still a long wander probably 7 to 8 hours.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion