walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Snowy Brimmond Hill

A Snowy Brimmond Hill

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Brimmond Hill

Date walked: 16/01/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 107m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After seeing Ranger's walk report on Brimmond Hill yesterday, I just couldn't resist heading up there myself. Left my house at 10:30am and was ready to start climbing at 10:45am from the side carpark armed with the new Fujifilm. The car park that WH describe their walk from is currently closed off by the council. I was in absolute awe of the scenary, the -8C temperatures of the previous night helped to preserve the snow. It was so easy to walk on. Temperature gauge on the car said -3C when I was setting off and when I got back it still said the same. The sun was out the entire time too. I had an absolute ball up on this small Sub-2000, who says you need a Munro to have a ball in the hills when it has snowed. Amazing to think this is only 7 miles from the City Centre too!! Anyway, enough talking from me, here's the photos.

DSCF1583.JPG
Elrick Hill from the start of the walk

DSCF1586.JPG
The Mither Tap in it's winter coat

DSCF1607.JPG
Snow-covered bushes

DSCF1622.JPG
My beautiful city in snow

DSCF1627.JPG

DSCF1630.JPG
Brimmond Hill's Trig Point

DSCF1660.JPG
Three trees on the approach path from the back of Brimmond Hill

DSCF1662.JPG

DSCF1672.JPG
Towards Aberdeen International Airport

DSCF1678.JPG
I love Bennachie

DSCF1686.JPG
At least two feet deep here

DSCF1688.JPG
And even deeper here

DSCF1700.JPG
Theres normally a tarred road here

DSCF1716.JPG
The gateway to a Winter Wonderland

DSCF1728.JPG
Snow-capped Pines

DSCF1729.JPG

DSCF1733.JPG
Finally worked out how to use Macro on this camera
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: A Snowy Brimmond Hill

Postby denfinella » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Beautiful photos of Brimmond Hill & the city once again. It looks so deep! I really hope it hasn't melted or turned slushy by Sunday.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:21 pm

denfinella wrote:Beautiful photos of Brimmond Hill & the city once again. It looks so deep! I really hope it hasn't melted or turned slushy by Sunday.

Snow warnings have just been issued for City and Shire for Friday. So there will be fresh snow for you when you get back probably.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Lovely! Your photo The gateway to a Winter Wonderland sums up the beauty of the undulating landscape up in the North East. The shire is always at its best in the height of summer of the depths of winter. Makes me fancy a visit home to Aberdeenshire this weekend - quick hello to the folks and few jaunts up Aberdeenshire's little hills. But unfortunately I'll be stuck in Glasgow moving flat... in the cold :shock:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Ranger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Brilliant :D
I wish the mist hadn't come down yesterday. Beautiful views.
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm

SMRussell wrote:Lovely! Your photo The gateway to a Winter Wonderland sums up the beauty of the undulating landscape up in the North East. The shire is always at its best in the height of summer of the depths of winter. Makes me fancy a visit home to Aberdeenshire this weekend - quick hello to the folks and few jaunts up Aberdeenshire's little hills. But unfortunately I'll be stuck in Glasgow moving flat... in the cold :shock:

Aww, feel sorry for you. I couldnt wipe the smile off my face the whole time I was up there. I have lived in this area for 5 years and can't imagine living anywhere else (except Skye). So beautiful and so under-rated.

Ranger wrote:Brilliant :D
I wish the mist hadn't come down yesterday. Beautiful views.

Thank you. I've been up there in the mist before and its so annoying, especially when you know whats out there. Have to admit, this was one of my most favourite days out and about for a while. And cheers for posting your report yesterday. Im an Aussie, so snow and me don't usually mix, and I would normally avoid snowy areas, but am so glad I went out there today. Filled me with much more confidence now.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Really stunning photos, I always think lovely fresh snow looks beautiful against a clear blue sky. The only hill I have visited in the Aberdeenshire area is Clachnaben, think I will need to pay a visit again and try some of the others.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Really stunning photos, I always think lovely fresh snow looks beautiful against a clear blue sky. The only hill I have visited in the Aberdeenshire area is Clachnaben, think I will need to pay a visit again and try some of the others.

Thank you :D If you do head out this way then I would highly recommend Bennachie. Its in my photos above with the Mither Tap. Correen Hills are stunning too.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Great photos and that looked like good fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Great photos and that looked like good fun!!!!!!!!!!!

It was!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 am

Beautiful RK, what a lovely winter scene, those little uns' always have something good to offer, I should know....I did enough of em :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm

The new camera did well! :clap: We've no snow here in Inverness although Ben Wyvis has a good covering. Think that's set to change tomorrow! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland