walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Postby keithmctaggart » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 am

Looking to bag my first Monroe....Mount Keen sounds good, any advice? and if anyone is 'keen' excuse the pun to guide me up there that would be grand....currently offshore but home for 2 weeks as of Monday the 28th Jan.

Many thanks

Keith
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Mount Keen

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Keith.

Don't be put off by the nay-sayers online or website or guide-book descriptions which constantly do down Mt Keen. It was my first Munro about 30 odd years ago. :crazy: Ok, so it’s not at all dramatic and is often described as an old wifie’s hill, but it’s a good introduction to hill-walking.

You might also want to consider a nearby double: Mayar and Dreish in Angus; two hills for the price of one. Both very similar to Mt Keen in that they are gentle walk-ins with no steep, precipitous slopes or ridges. Finally, a word on the weather. For some reason Aboyne and that part of Deeside often seems to suffer VERY cold temperatures weeks after the rest of us are experiencing more temperate climatic conditions. Take care.

Good luck.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby keithmctaggart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Many thanks for the post and advice....as for the weather I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I might leave it another month or 2 before going up.....I'm preparing for going up Ben Nevis in late June so any hill walking will be good in terms of fitness....also booked in for a 2 day navigation course....see how that goes.

Cheers

Keith
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Totally agree with Lightfoot, Keen was my first too, from Glentanar path all the way up to foot of hill, I got a good clear day and not weather like we getting here at the moment, plus you could always take a bike with you.

I started with Bennechie a few times and Brimmond Hill too just to build up hill fitness, but if you do any sort of training it will help you alot.

Keep an eye out here for any posts I put up, more then welcome to join.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby oldrayne75 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I did Mt Keen from Glen Tanar last summer. I cycled the 6miles or so to the foot of the hill, which took a big chunk of time off what is a long walk in. If you have a mountain bike it's certainly worth waiting a few weeks until its suitable for a bike in again. Either way - hope you get better views than I did. Weather closed in and I saw nothing from summit! Lochnagar's worth a look too.
oldrayne75
Hill Bagger

Munros:234   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Postby keithmctaggart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm

The Lochnagar 5 is also on my hit list.....training most days at the moment, so my fitness is coming along fine...still got to loose the xmas pounds....onwards and upwards as they say. :D
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby Afroduck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Image Mount Keenish on the 27-1-2013

Mates didn't manage to get up the hill as they started too late.

But I'm planning to go up it this Thursday, Hoping there will be slightly less snow, but i prefer snow to green so ill be happy either way
Afroduck

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby laconic surf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Heading up tomorrow, though I think the wind may prove more an obstacle than the snow :shock:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby balgonie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm

heading up there myself with lanconic surf! its one that needs to be done :lol: or as laconic said to me earlier 'need a bit of fresh air'
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2

Postby keithmctaggart » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Heading to Glencoe on friday and staying in the Clachaig Inn.....apparently the day the beer festival starts :D
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

What hill you thinking of doing up there
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby keithmctaggart » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

I'm actually not doing any walking, just going up for a wee break with a mate. We heard about the Clachaig Inn and thought we'd go up and check it out. Wanted to nip round to Fort William and have a look at Ben Nevis to see what we are letting ourselves in for (that's if we can see it for the clouds) as we are going up there in June or July. Also to have a browse in the outdoor shops.....so to sum it all up it'll be eating, drinking and buying some kit...all good.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby ellonarcher » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi saw your post and hope I'm not too late in replying. Mount Keen was my first Munro with my then 12 year old son. We did it in July 2011 and I would definately recommend biking in to the bottom of hill. There's a bridge you can lock your bike to and the best thing about taking a bike is that it's all down hill back to the car park. A few turns of the pedals and you are on your way and at quite a pace if my memory serves me right. Anyway that's my advice for what it's worth. Enjoy.
ellonarcher

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:20   

Postby keithmctaggart » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Going up Mt Keen on Thursday from the south, should be a great day...can't wait.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs