walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Latrigg, Dodd and Binsey

Latrigg, Dodd and Binsey

Postby andy63 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey, Dodd, Latrigg

Date walked: 24/01/2013

Time taken: 5.6

Distance: 18.1 km

Ascent: 1179m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wasn't sure if I should be climbing hills in this weather without having the climbing equipment, but I'd read that there hadn't been much snow in the Lake District so I decided to try some of the smaller Wainrights.

Part1:Latrigg and Dodd
Distance 15.5 km, total climb 998m, time taken 4.7 hours

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started in Keswick.There is a path which goes up through the trees on the south side of Latrigg,but it looked a bit too steep and icy so I didn't risk it.Fortunately the ;public footpath on the other side of the hill was easy to walk up even with a bit of snow on it.

003.jpg
Latrigg

005.jpg
Keswick and Derwentwater

007.jpg

009.jpg
Path up Latrigg

011.jpg
Latrigg summit and Skiddaw

013.jpg
Latrigg summit and Blencathra

After coming down from Latrigg I walked along a minor road through Applethwaite and Millbeck before heading up towards Dodd.
The OS map shows a path going up to Dodd through Lyzzick Wood, but Icouldn't see any sign of this,so I ended up following a fence line up the hill.This was quite difficult in the snow. I was holding on to the fence for most of the way up in case I slipped.
At the top of the fence line it got easier, and before long I was on a good path which goes up to the summit.

015.jpg

017.jpg
Dodd summit and Carl Side

019.jpg
Dodd summit and Bassenthwaite Lake

021.jpg
Derwent Water from Dodd summit

I then found my way back down through a slightly confusing maze of paths to the car park at Mirehouse.I had been planning to make this a circular walk back to Keswick, but when I came to a bus stop and found there was one due in 10 minutes I decided to wait for it.

023.jpg
Dodd from the road

After having a coffee in Keswick there was just enough time for a quick drive up to Binsey.

Part2: Binsey
Distance2.6km, climb 181m, time 0.9 hours

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was starting to go dark as I went up the hill so I took a torch with me but I didn't need it.

025.jpg
Path up Binsey

027.jpg
Binsey summit and Skiddaw
Last edited by andy63 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Latrigg, Dodd and Binsey

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 am

Some beautiful shots there Andy but losing the light toward the end there, I'm surprised that there isn't a lot more snow too :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Glad you were able to reach all the summits and some beautiful views from the first walk :thumbup:

andy63 wrote:but when I came to a bus stop and found there was one due in 10 minutes I decided to wait for it.

That was a bit of luck :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 am

Some cracking pics
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland