walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking Equipment

Walking Equipment

Postby Merlot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi there,

Looking for some advice. Have done a bit of walking in the past. At New Year I made a pact with a few mates that we would do as many Munros as we can this year. The thing is I have some very old walking boots, a few jackets which I suspect are not suitable and more fashion and very little else equipment.

So therefore over the weekend I'm going on a shopping spree to kit myself out for the year ahead.

The question I have is what should I buy and what makes are good. I could ask the assistants in Tisos and Blacks but would like the opinion of people who I know are out there doing it regularly. The budget I have is reasonable as I have recently sold my business so I do generally want to get everything I need. A list of everything from boots to ruksacks would be ideal.

Thanks for reading my post and look forward to your replies.
Merlot
Mountain Walker

Sub 2000:1   

Re: Walking Equipment

Postby murwilson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Your best bet IS to go into Tiso. Tell them what you wrote in here, try everything on. Make sure it all fits. Makes are mostly irrelevant, it all has to fit, be comfy and work together, that's more important than a badge or a price tag.

All you'll get in here is a hundred different answers because we'll all tell you what works for us, which usually takes years of trial and error.

Enjoy.

Mur
murwilson

Postby Rudolph » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:03 pm

murwilson wrote: We'll all tell you what works for us, which usually takes years of trial and error.
Enjoy.
Mur

All sorts of truth in this bit
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Rudolph - If you want a list to help speed things up or just because like me you like to have a "tick off" list try here

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28306

That said the above comments are the reality (given I get most of my advice from here over the last 7 months) ... My first set of kit (bought with no experience to do Nevis for Charity) is either now donated to others, lies at the back of a cupboard, gets relegated to the "just in case or lounging about" category or in some rare cases is still used on every walk...

Try on, walk in, get wet in, get cold in and falll over in gear and you'll know what you like and what works :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 pm

coachmacca wrote:Hi Rudolph - If you want a list to help speed things up or just because like me you like to have a "tick off" list try here

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28306

:

don't worry about Rudolph, I'm afraid he is a gear freak and we have enough stuff in our loft to kit out the Army! the trouble is there is never that perfect bit of gear!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Rudolph » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm

coachmacca wrote:Hi Rudolph - If you want a list to help speed things up :

Thanks for the link CM but the point of my previous post was that this is (IMHO) a bad way to go about it. You end up getting lots of gear which suits the way other people walk.

MrsSanta who must be obeyed wrote:He's got more than enough gear so don't encourage him any more

:( :( :(
coachmacca wrote:Try on, walk in, get wet in, get cold in and fall over in gear and you'll know what you like and what works :lol :

That's the spirit. :D

More general point is that if you are inexperienced you shouldn't be going into situations where the perfect gear is essential. You'll be going either to the safer bits or with people who will make sure you have the basics to be OK. Use your experience of these trips to decide what you need to prioritise.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby abbruce » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Guess it depends on which City, but I went round 4 outdoor shops in Aberdeen on saturday to see what advice was given on a new pair of boots. My 2 year old Berghaus ones have done the West Highland Way twice & around 20 munros & the soles were getting really worn.
Tiso were by far the best for advice & didn't push. For £20 extra I bought a loyalty card giving 10% of any purchase for a year. As well as money off £190 worth of boots, I also bought a mid layer, hat & new gloves in the sale due to the extra discount.
If you have a lot of gear to buy, consider their card as could save you a bit if you buy a lot.

Good luck, Bruce
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Eek I just released I responded to Rudolph not the original Poster (Merlot)- sorry Rudolph!

I cant say I disagree at all - I just remember starting out last year and kinda not knowing where to start.. that said i did seriously overbuy and not ideal gear ...

And re Gear Freak... Yep - I'm guilty too... I LOVE kit!

But then I'm obsessed 100% in anything I get into.. I'm renowned for it lol
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby ADavies » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm in a similar position, getting new gear, and with no real clue what Im looking for. I would do as much reading on the science of keeping warm as you can. Learn what the difference between the different materials will offer, this way when you do go the shops you have an idea, and not look lost when the guy asks if your looking for a base mid of shell layer.

Brand names add value to gear, but not always what your looking for. That being said I would not set out for a trip in a shops own brand gear, if your going to be reliant on it, sorry but imho the is a reason you pay more for a branded item, and no offence to go outdoors but i wont be using your £30 boots for any real walking....

my 2 cents
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk