walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fife coast path

Fife coast path

Postby captainslow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Date walked: 26/01/2013

Time taken: 0.33 days

Distance: 36 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

St Andrews to St Monans in one day breaking in the new boots and 19kg on my back. Path very muddy, also cut-up by cattle in places. Lots of rocks, wood and storm debris between Crail and Pittenweem further impeding progress.

36km
8 hours (plus 45min breaks)
~250m ascent

edit:looks like one cannot just add this to my diary. Apologies for the reasonably pointless post!
captainslow
Munro compleatist

Munros:128   Corbetts:45
Fionas:48   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:129   

Re: Fife coast path

Postby Silverhill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi captainslow,
I was just about to say that there is a box you can tick for just adding routes to your diary. But it seems that there is no such box when logging long distance paths. Not sure why. Maybe Paul or Helen can help?

Anyway, 36km in 8 hours with new boots and 19kg on your back?! Not bad! Are you in training for something?
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby captainslow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Silverhill wrote:Anyway, 36km in 8 hours with new boots and 19kg on your back?! Not bad! Are you in training for something?

Just wanted to see what I could do really, I never seem to get tired out by 'normal' day walks on the hills in the summer. Though the boots were new in advance of a winter skills course next month and I wanted to see how much weight I could deal with for proper wild camping: I've not yet done any camping without the car to carry stuff!

Anyway, one conclusion is that the boots need more wearing in!
captainslow
Munro compleatist

Postby rohan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Not pointless. I am planning a major walk with my Granddaughter next year which includes a substantial part of the Fife Coastal Path (FRB to TRB) so this is useful for me. Hopefully it will be less muddy by July 2014.
rohan

Postby captainslow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:08 pm

In fairness there were ongoing path improvements, particularly between boarhills and kingsbarns, but in general the muddiest I've seen it.

Did another section between St Monans and Lower Largo, then up Largo Law in about 7hours this weekend.
captainslow
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes