walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 26/07/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1239m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Charlie had his eyes on Sgor na h-Ulaidh for a wee while and July looked like the time had come, despite the forecast being a wee bit iffy. If the MWIS was right, the hills would be clearing of cover as we were making our way towards the slopes, so let's go for it.
There was certainly a lot of clag on the hills as we headed along Glencoe, but it was reasonably bright looking and fingers crossed, all would soon clear and reveal to us the promise of good views.
DSCF1468_1067_800.JPG
Heading off.

Things looked promising as we got out the car and kitted out, with just a few strands of mist on the ridge of Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne. A quick dash across the main road and we were on our way, soon contemplating the rather heady prospect of a steep, steep, steep - (get the message?) climb up to the forementioned ridge, or continuing well into the glen to find a more gentle approach. I must have been getting carried away with myself, when I agreed to Big Jesper's urging, just to go straight up towards the prow of Aonach Dubh! We branched onto the hill somewhere on the path which has been put in to take walker's wide of Gleann Leac na Muidhe House due to the 'ornamental garden' - read, 'we don't want walker's passing near our house.'
As the WH report says, it is an exceptionally steep, pathless ascent, on a rocky, grassy slope, but quite good fun for those with sado-masochist tendancies. (Charles taught me that word, Mrs Ferguson.) It proved my ideas of improving fitness, were unfounded, if not delusional, but after a fair slog and a gradual veer away from the vertical approach, we finally made it onto the ridge itself. That took us about an hour and three quarters, to cover the first two and a quarter miles.
DSCF1476_1067_800.JPG
Misty!

Much to our disappointment the mist was showing no signs of lifting and if anything, begining to thicken. This was not part of the plan, but we still had a good hour and a half to the summit, so it was bound to improve - not! It wasn't too long till the compass was joined by the GPS to help keep us on the ridge, as the mist became fog. I think it was at the bealach just below Stob an Fhuarain as we took a fuel stop, that a solo walker appeared out the gloom – I forget your name now, pal. Anyway, we could see he was trying to get his bearings so we raised our voices, to see if he could spot us, only maybe 50 feet away, but eventually had to approach and identify ourselves, to see if he wished to join us.
DSCF1475_1280_960.JPG
Our new companion.

From here it was about another half hour to the SW, on a steady windy climb, following various remnants of track, till we reached the summit of Scoor na Hoolay, where a lady walker and her dog companion were enjoying the non view. I can’t remember how many laps she’d done of the munro’s, but it was mighty impressive, 3,5 ,7? Anyway, I was just chuffed to add another to my single figure tally, but disappointed the views of Glen Coe, Etive and elsewhere were to remain a hidden mystery.
DSCF1472_1067_800.JPG
Summit cairn.
DSCF1474_1098_800.JPG
Me an' Jaf.

After another wee top up of food and fluids and a parting glance at the rather scary looking crags, we set off to the SW, to find a way down. It is here I would urge you to be particularly cautious and patient, especially in limited visibility, not to try to head off the hill too quickly! While following a fence, it leads off to some very steep, slippy rock which made us turn back at the scary drop below. Just head round further to the SW to Corr na Beinne, where the steep grassy descent is still tricky, but a good deal safer.
DSCF1477_1185_800.JPG
Careful.
DSCF1478_1100_800.JPG
Heading down.

From the bottom we veered NE’ly to follow the Allt na Muide, along the glen, once again taking the detour round the houses, despite my instincts to keep the heid doon and just march on. It was with a feeling of some frustration to now look back up at the summit and see the clag lifting at a very noticeable rate. I guess you’ll have had that same feeling, too? Another quarter of an hour or so, we were back at the car, taking just under the five and a half hours for this one.
DSCF1492_1280_960.JPG
Towards summit.
DSCF1494_1223_800.JPG
Almost clear, just 20 minutes later!
DSCF1496_1049_800.JPG
Towards Sgorr nam Fiannaidh.
DSCF1501_1067_800.JPG
Heading for Clachaig.

Of course having once again become depleted in fluids, there was nowt for it, but to retire to the nearby Clachaig Inn to top up, relax and enjoy the view from there.
DSCF1531_1055_800.JPG
Oh, don't I look happy to be finished that!?
DSCF1529_1133_800.JPG
Big J looking contented.
Attachments
DSCF1495_1067_800.JPG
Clachaig Gully behind J.
DSCF1497_1067_800.JPG
DSCF1510_1165_800.JPG
AE
DSCF1517_1014_800.JPG
Towards AE
DSCF1520_1247_800.JPG
And the AE once more.
DSCF1528_1207_800.JPG
The AE.
DSCF1530_1067_800.JPG
The nose of Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by JimboJim on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Sounds like you took the same route as myself Jim, it's one heck of a climb to reach that ridge. I lost count of the number of times I stopped for a breather before reaching the ridge.

Much like yourself I had no views that day though I've heard the sight of the Bidean massif is quite spectacular from here.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi, skuk, or should that be double oh seven? Yes, can defo sympathise if you took the direct way up. I had to call for many a camera shot, check the compass, take a drink, etc, in addition to being honest and just confessing I needed a stop. A good tester, eh. Was a bit of a pity to miss out on views, but maybe we'll seee you back there on a clear day.

Cheers,

Jimmy

skuk007 wrote:Sounds like you took the same route as myself Jim, it's one heck of a climb to reach that ridge. I lost count of the number of times I stopped for a breather before reaching the ridge.

Much like yourself I had no views that day though I've heard the sight of the Bidean massif is quite spectacular from here.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland