walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Foinaven route planning help

Foinaven route planning help

Postby denfinella » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody could give some food for thought regarding a good way to tackle Foinaven (NW Scotland) in late April?

Foinaven summit.jpg
Foinaven summit

Although not (quite) a Munro, it looks like a terrific mountain. The whole ridge looks superb.

Ridge south of Ganu Mor.JPG
Foinaven ridge

However, most of the routes I've seen on the net involve a walk which finishes many miles from the start. I've been thinking of something like the following:

Foinaven.JPG
Foinaven route

It's about 17 miles with 1200m ascent. We don't want to include Arkle as we're planning that for another day! Would be interested in any advice / feedback especially on:

- overall feasibility and time to complete (we usually walk slightly quicker than Walkhighlands recommended times)
- any knowledge on how much scrambling required on the ridge, and general terrain
- is there a path between the end of the track by the outflow from Loch Dionard and the stalkers path marked on OS maps coming down Allt an Easain Ghil?
- the easiest/best descent off Ceann Garbh (northern end of the ridge)
- alternative circular routes which include the ridge (especially if they're slightly shorter)

Thanks!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Foinaven route planning help

Postby stig_nest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Not walked Foinaven myself yet either, but Arkle was a grand day out, and from the ridge connecting the two tops Foinawen looked epic...

the Dionard track is strictly pedestrian but there's ample parking there and from what i've heard and could see the route across the moors to the northern end of the hill is not as bad as you might think..

but i'll leave the proper advice to those who've actually walked the walk..

looking forward to your report.
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 am

You could shortern the route a bit without losing any interest by going to the end of the Strath Dionard track, heading west towards Coire na Lurgainn, and then turning south up the spur towards An t-Sail Mhor. This is is described (in descent) in the Pocket Mountains Northern Highlands book as a bit rocky and awkward, but should be OK going up!

The main ridge has no real scrambling, just rough going on quartzite blocks. There are a number of scrambling options from Strath Dionaird side if you are interested: all described in the SMC Highlands North.

You can descend NW off Ceann Garbh: there is some steep rocky ground low down which you must avoid by keeping left (west). Once below this, you can thrash directly over the bog back to the road.

I'd like to go back and do more of the main ridge: the day we did it was so hot (28C and no wind!) we could not face the bouldery approach to the A' Cheir Gorm ridge, so only did Ganu Mor and Ceann Garbh.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks very much for both your comments.

@stig_nest: yes, I'm hoping the last bit northwards from the end of the ridge won't be too soggy. At least it'll be near the end of the day by then!

@jmarkb: sounds like a good suggestion, I think we'll do that. I wasn't sure from maps if it would be too steep, but if it's "a bit rock and awkward" in descent, I think it should be fine in ascent. As for "scrambling options", I'd be keen but not sure I can say the same for my other half. A' Cheir Gorm looks like the stuff of dreams... probably isn't going to be enough time to really explore that ridge though...

Will let you know how it went!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 pm

denfinella wrote:Thanks very much for both your comments.

You're very welcome!

You can pick out the route on this photo (click on the image and zoom in): http://www.panoramio.com/photo/54151900
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby stig_nest » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

if you go up there in mid june it doesn't properly get dark. so you can take as much time as you like... me and mrs nest were on the summit of ben hope at 11pm a few years ago..
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Postby denfinella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I'll be there in late April. It's nice not having to worry too much about daylight hours (unlike this time of year...).

The photo hyperlink's also very useful :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Possibly not much help, but here is the route that I used: route

Trip Report

Not much scrambling doing the traverse - mostly hands in pockets except for the descent from 808m top.

If you can arrange transport, or are happy to hitch, I recommend the traverse.
foggieclimber

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 am

Strath Dionard is eminently bikeable, which won't help if you aim never to retrace your tracks, but you could cut time by leaving a bike to the east of the 593 point and doing a circuit from there. It is steep, and I must say I didn't exactly walk it all with my hands in my pockets, but neither is it really true scrambling.

However, I'm sure the traverse beats that route, if you can arrange it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby denfinella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Not sure we'll have bikes, but if we do get hold of some, the full traverse (and dropping bikes at one end) might be a good solution.

Foggieclimber, some of your photos are stunning!
denfinella
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion