walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Day, Another Marilyn - Brown Muir

Another Day, Another Marilyn - Brown Muir

Postby gyles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Brown Muir

Date walked: 06/02/2013

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 164m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After dropping off the girlfriend at work this morning I planned a small walk up local Sub 2000, Brown Muir. Brown Muir is the most prominent summit south of Elgin with a radio transmitter sat on top. It's always one I've looked at doing, so finally got to it today.

After researching and reading the only other report by Lossie Loon I too followed his route which seemed to be the obvious way up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Setting off at 9.30 I started along an old farm track leading to the derelict Moniemouies House. The weather was cloudy with a cold breeze, terrain was wet and mucky as expected at this time of year.

001.JPG
The start

Only a few minutes later I reached Moniemouies House which looked sad as it sat there abandoned. Shame its not in use since its in a nice location. Another day I may have had a look around the outside of the property but I wasn't hanging about.

003.JPG
Moniemouies

Continuing on I moved out of farmland onto the Muir itself. I noticed a new looking deer fence installed with white sacks lying on the inside. Assuming they are sacks of conifer saplings? I'm guessing a new forestry plantation about to start.

005.JPG
New forestry plantation?

In no time at all I was on the approach to the summit as the transmitter loomed in front of me. The path was reasonably good going. Not surprisingly since good access will be needed for getting up there.

011.JPG
Nearly there

With the weather clear enough you can get great views over the north side of Moray, especially Elgin.

007.JPG
Sun shines on Elgin

013.JPG
The summit

Was nice to see a little records box inside the pillar as many people have written a note of their walk. In my short time in walking this is the first time I've come across one of these.

015.JPG
Records box

016.JPG
Knock More transmitter with parent summit Sub, Ben Aigan

033.JPG
Another Sub with windfarm, Knockan

022.JPG
Sub spotting again, Bin of Cullen

028.JPG
Another snap of Elgin

I headed back down the route I came and returned after an hour. Overall a good short walk with decent walking terrain. Well worth doing if you live in the area or about visiting.

Thanks for reading. :)
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: Another Day, Another Marilyn - Brown Muir

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I always enjoy the Sub reports and a nice wee view point to all the other neighbouring Subs :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby hills » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 pm

This looks good for a quickie if ever in the area. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm

hills wrote:This looks good for a quickie if ever in the area. :D

Likewise, looks a bit of a dawdle :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland