walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

bidean nam bian

bidean nam bian

Postby d gwynn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 pm

can anyone help please.I am staying in the syha in glen coe and going to do bidean but i am wondering if to save a walk is it possible to summit from the stob coire nam beith side. Please bear in mind i am not a climber with ropes but dont mind a bit of scrambling.I have checked the map and think i can see a route but is it possible or have i got to go round to the lost valley. Any help or advice please thanks!!!
d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:200   

Re: bidean nam bian

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Several routes from that side. If you go up into Coire nam Beith (a lovely coire) you can either head up to the right of Stob Coire nam Beith and then traverse the main ridge to reach Bidean, or you can turn left and go up to the col between Bidean and Stob Coire nan Lochan. There are other routes, but I think those are probably the most straightforward, the second better taken in ascent than descent. However both are steep in parts and you would do well to be aware of the state of the snow for avalanches.
Given decent conditions (and the Lost Valley approach is steep near the crest too) I reckon it's a far superior day to the usual trudge up to the head of the lost valley.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby d gwynn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 pm

cheers cairngormwanderer now i know it can be done i will work a route up going that way. I am not going up until april but the snow will be taken into consideration.
d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

There's a decent path - it starts at a gate on the western end of the roadbridge and goes up into Coire nam Beith keeping the stream on your left. I went up that way a couple of years ago. Gets pretty steep but it's good. The best way onwards from the coire is to keep dead ahead - the route up to the col between Bidean and Stob Coire nan Lochan is horrible. Plus Stob Coire nam Beith is a great viewpoint :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby d gwynn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

thx Bob, I think this is going to be the route that gets uploaded into the gps and then play it by ear on the day
d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion