walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knock of Braemoray from Dava

Knock of Braemoray from Dava

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Knock of Braemoray

Date walked: 14/02/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.63 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I didn't intend on going for a walk today but around midday after seeing the weather being clear and settled I decided to set off towards the Knock of Braemoray about a 30 minute drive from home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I chose to park at Dava, a small hamlet to the south of the hill. There is a public phone box with a large layby suitable to start from. Leaving the car I made my way along the road until I cut into the woodland where I picked up the Dava Way, the long distance walk between Forres and Grantown on Spey. Following the old railway I walked north to reach the foot of the summit.

002.JPG

003.JPG

010.JPG
On the Dava Way with Knock of Braemoray facing me.

The Dava Way swerves round the east side of the summit so I reached the closest point along the line until I cut off to climb the summit. The Knock of Braemoray has little or no tracks, certainly none to reach the top, so it was now a wild clamber amongst the heather. Slowly but surely I got to the summit.

019.JPG
Pillar facing north

020.JPG
North over Findhorn Bay and Moray Firth

021.JPG
Can't seem to do any summits without seeing a wind farm, this wasn't the only 1

039.JPG
Lochindorb

055.JPG
Cromdale Hills

060.JPG
White covered peak of Ben Rinnes to the east

065.JPG
White Cairngorms to the south

059.JPG
Carn Tri Tighearnan plateau in the west

I returned back to the car following the same route. A 2 hour trip altogether.

This really was a fantastic viewpoint over the middle ground between the Cairngorms and Moray Firth. I was fortunate today with the views being so clear. I would encourage more people to try this one however I think the lack of a track to climb this summit may put some off.

Thanks for reading. :wink:
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: Knock of Braemoray from Dava

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi gyles

I did the Dava Way last summer, I was tempted to head up Knock of Braemoray but with about 12 miles walked and the same left to do I thought I'd better leave some energy in the tank. Seeing the views, I wish I'd done the short climb.

Looks like you had a great afternoon!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi there gyles, that looks an ok wee hill for a morning or afternoon, and the heather doesn't look too tussocky, how was it ok?, one for the next time I'm passing, certainly looks like no problems access wise. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi Gordie,

Yeah I was in the same position last year when I done the Dava Way. It would have been possible to do the climb and the long distance walk in a day but it is cutting it fine and would be exhausting.

It was a great afternoon thanks, spur of the moment decisions always seem to be.
gyles

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:41 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there gyles, that looks an ok wee hill for a morning or afternoon, and the heather doesn't look too tussocky, how was it ok?, one for the next time I'm passing, certainly looks like no problems access wise. :)

Hi Rod,

The heather is tall on the bottom half of the hill but does get shorter and easier the higher you go.

Access wise its great. The 2 options I considered was the Dava Way route I took, but there is also parking laybys on the A940 directly west of the summit where you could attempt to climb walking to the east. Distance wise going across the heather is about the same.
gyles

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm

gyles wrote:Hi Gordie,

Yeah I was in the same position last year when I done the Dava Way. It would have been possible to do the climb and the long distance walk in a day but it is cutting it fine and would be exhausting.

It was a great afternoon thanks, spur of the moment decisions always seem to be.

The difference is you can get back there in half an hour, bit of a treck for me but I think I'll look to do it some time as the area has great memories for me (I had distant relations who had a croft a couple of miles from the hill and we used to go to Forres every year on holiday when I was a kid).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm

gyles wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there gyles, that looks an ok wee hill for a morning or afternoon, and the heather doesn't look too tussocky, how was it ok?, one for the next time I'm passing, certainly looks like no problems access wise. :)

Hi Rod,

The heather is tall on the bottom half of the hill but does get shorter and easier the higher you go.

Access wise its great. The 2 options I considered was the Dava Way route I took, but there is also parking laybys on the A940 directly west of the summit where you could attempt to climb walking to the east. Distance wise going across the heather is about the same.

Thanks for that info gyles, I seem to remember that lump when I was supporting my daughter when she ran the Dava Wat trail race a few years ago, I think the trail passes by on the East side of the hill if I remember correctly. The weather looked fine and little snow about as well, great stuff.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Gordie12 wrote:The difference is you can get back there in half an hour, bit of a treck for me but I think I'll look to do it some time as the area has great memories for me (I had distant relations who had a croft a couple of miles from the hill and we used to go to Forres every year on holiday when I was a kid).

Good stuff, without a doubt it's definitely one for you then. I hope you get a good day when the chance comes around.
gyles

Postby findhornloon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Great stuff Gyles,

First report and photos I have seen of the Knock, now I know a suitable route for the 2 hour hike I will put it higher up my "to do" list next time I am up North. I have looked at the Knock so often from Findhorn and on the way past heading south, always fancied seeing the view of Findhorn from the top. The nearest I have been to the Knock is the passing round its base on a train to Grantown as a loon and that wasn't yesterday !!!
findhornloon
Scrambler

Munros:54   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 pm

I did this one a couple of years ago from a lay-by on the A940. Up and down in under an hour but it was not a particularly interesting route. Your route looks much nicer.

Surprised at the lack of snow - there is still quite a bit more snow on the hills further East.
foggieclimber

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:02 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks for that info gyles, I seem to remember that lump when I was supporting my daughter when she ran the Dava Wat trail race a few years ago, I think the trail passes by on the East side of the hill if I remember correctly. The weather looked fine and little snow about as well, great stuff.

Your welcome :)

Haha "lump" is a good description! Yeah the Dava Way does swerve round to the east side of the err..... lump. :lol:

Weather was fantastic, I was pleasantly surprised there wasn't much snow to contend with.
gyles

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm

gyles/findhornloon

This is a bit off topic but as you are both locals I don't suppose you have done The Ghost Train Walk on the Dava Way (thinking about doing it this June)??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Gordie12 wrote:gyles/findhornloon

This is a bit off topic but as you are both locals I don't suppose you have done The Ghost Train Walk on the Dava Way (thinking about doing it this June)??

I haven't done it but would be interested. I did see it advertised on a signpost whilst walking the Dava Way.
gyles

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 pm

gyles wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:gyles/findhornloon

I haven't done it but would be interested. I did see it advertised on a signpost whilst walking the Dava Way.

Sorry gyles, I've really taken this off topic but here's a link to the Dava Way website.

http://www.davaway.org.uk/dava-way-events.html

First time I heard about this I thought it was a bit odd but it's starting to appeal (even if just as a one off to see what it's like).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby findhornloon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm

>>This is a bit off topic but as you are both locals
Unfortunately, despite still being a Findhorn loon at heart, I live within touching distance of the Campsies, though I am in Findhorn several times a year. What I recall from going by train to Grantown (probably a steam train) was a steep cutting on the route so I guess it would be a bit creepy in the dark. What exactly is The Ghost Train Walk, I thought the Dava Way basically followed the old railway line.
June is a non-starter for me I will either be walking the River Findhorn from "source to sea" or working in Tanzania !!
findhornloon
Scrambler

Munros:54   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland