walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Backpacking general travel ruck sack (65L - 80L)

Backpacking general travel ruck sack (65L - 80L)

Postby oor44wullie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi Folks,

How's it going?

My Karrimor 60L + 2x 10L detachable side packs is struggling a bit :( . Especially on the side pack department. Have used it for travel to work :roll: (ships) and a bit of back packing (2-3 days) and bothying :D . What do you Walkhighlanders recommend as a suitable, modern update?

Many thanks.

Mike...
oor44wullie
Hill Bagger

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Backpacking general travel ruck sack (65L - 80L)

Postby tenohfive » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

A lot is down to fit etc but the one on my shopping list is an Osprey Kestrel 68 M/L - having tried it on I find it very comfortable, very light (1.82kg), built in rain cover. A few WH members pointed me towards it and once I can find somewhere selling it cheap enough that's what I'll be getting.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/osprey-kestrel-68-m-l-rucksack-p204325
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I used to use a berghaus c71 65+10 - good in that it swivelled separately from my back but it weighed about 2.6kg ! My daysack is a kestrel 38 (S/M is 36l) so started looking at the 68 in S/M, ie 66l which weighs about 1.7kg. Then I was recommended the Osprey Exos 58 which in medium is 58l. Couldn't decide so bought both from Cotswold to try out at home (they encourage this on their website and when I phoned to check). Tried out both at home and found it easier to get my kit in the Exos - found it comfy and it only weighs 1.1kg. Pros and cons, eg exos has no rain cover, probably less robust than the kestrel and is not for loads over about 15kg or so but in the end I kept the exos and returned the kestrel. Exos may be slightly small for you but I've been working on getting rucksack weight down from about 18kg as was finding it too heavy esp for steeper hills - best to try some and see - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 pm

That's a big rucksack, even for a few days out. I use a Berghaus 50+5 one and can get everything I need for 4 days inside it, even the tent and airbed. I would have happily carried a bigger sack when I was younger, but I've had to learn to travel a bit lighter. When we did the WHW, we met up with some Dutch lads and they were carrying around 80lbs (in old weight) each. I could hardly lift their loads - seriously strong lads.
When we did the Glen Tilt, Lairig Ghru route (May), we met a bloke in his 50's who had been out in the hills for 5 days and he had a rucksack that seemed to be only about 40 litres.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby ADavies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I only use a Lowe Alpine Crag Attack 42 for 2-4 days camping, but i have got all my gear down to be as small and light as I can.

I would work out how much space you need first then look at the market.
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk