walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Suggestions for a 5-6 day hike

Suggestions for a 5-6 day hike

Postby 4shotB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 am

in Scotland. I am a new member to this site from the USA. My wife and I are looking for an overseas hike this year. I have always wanted to visit Scotland. A bit of info: I am an experienced backpacker (did a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail here in the US two years ago) but my wife is not. We are both in our 50's age-wise. We are interestedin a more "social" hike...i.e. not as strenous as the AT here in terms of elevation changes and one where we could see/sample local culture and not spend every night in the backcountry in a tent. would like one that also incorporates a bit of Scottish history as well. Is this asking too much?

I appreciate any input. Also, what would be expected or usual weather conditions for any recommended hikes in late May/early June. I also want to see and visit a distillery in conjunction with this hike...any recommendations? We have 2 weeks or so to visit your country and are excited about the opportunity. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.
4shotB
Scrambler

Re: Suggestions for a 5-6 day hike

Postby mountainstar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 am

Have you checked out Walkhighland's Scotland's Long Distance Routes?
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml

This one for the Whisky...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/speyside-way.shtml

This one for the social side (Distillery in Fort Willliam)
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/west-highland-way.shtml

Or the Skye trail (no Distillery on walk, but there is one on Skye)...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/skye-trail.shtml
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby 4shotB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

[quote="mountainstar"]Have you checked out Walkhighland's Scotland's Long Distance Routes?
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml

Thank you for the reply. I did find that site online, reviewed it and then went in search of a hiker's forum such as this one. Would like to get some insight (hopefully) from someone who has walked some of these trails to get a more personal insight or recommendation or help us to select one. Our time frame will allow us only to pick one of these.Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!
4shotB
Scrambler

Postby abbruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Wife & I walked the West Highland Way the last 2 years & it was amazing both times. Both the scenery & social side is excellent, & the walking is not too strenuous. We got a few days of heavy rain the first year & very little last year, both times going in April (before the midge season starts).

We chose to do it in 7 days, giving an average of 14 miles per day which gave plenty time to stop for food & take plenty pictures. We stayed in B&B's along the way & used luggage transfer meaning we only carried day packs.

I would thoroughly recommend www.easyways.com if you decide upon this.

There's a distillery in Fort William & the train journey back to Glasgow is extremely scenic
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby MattyAnderson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm

You need to do some more research on the West Highland Way. From your post it definitely ticks all the boxes. :D

I did this with my mate last year - see my report "Milngavnie to Inverness via the Ben"

You will get a distillery at Glengoyne, which is near the start of the walk and they do tours and stuff with some romantic Scottish history thrown in. (I haven't been but my mother has yapped about it).

This walk was very much an extended social walk and this was one of the things we enjoyed most. We wild camped but had a support crew every couple of days so we got some rest from the heavy packs but every where we stopped (The Rowardennan Hotel, The Bridge of Orchy Hotel, The Kings House Hotel) had great banter, mixed ages, from Scotland and other places - roaring log fires and good, traditional Scottish fare (Chips made the Scottish Way! :clap: ). I am sure you will be made most welcome and invited to sample local culture! You don't have to camp and could do the whole walk quite luxuriously, even getting bags transported separately so you would only have to carry a day sack if you want.

You also get to walk through Glen Coe which is steeped in Scottish history (good and bad)!!
You will walk through hidden laraig's with remnants of houses left after the clearances.
See lochs and waterfalls through the mist.
None of this walk is hard if you are reasonable fit with good boots (I got blisters!) the only downside would be the midges but that would depend on when you plan on visiting - the little beasties can ruin a hike.
MattyAnderson
Stravaiging

Munros:36   

Postby 4shotB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm

MattyAnderson wrote:You need to do some more research on the West Highland Way. From your post it definitely ticks all the boxes. :D

. I am sure you will be made most welcome and invited to sample local culture! You don't have to camp and could do the whole walk quite luxuriously, even getting bags transported separately so you would only have to carry a day sack if you want.

You also get to walk through Glen Coe which is steeped in Scottish history (good and bad)!!
You will walk through hidden laraig's with remnants of houses left after the clearances.
See lochs and waterfalls through the mist.
None of this walk is hard if you are reasonable fit with good boots (I got blisters!) the only downside would be the midges but that would depend on when you plan on visiting - the little beasties can ruin a hike.

Thanks - great info. I have done enough reading here and elsewhere to have to ask - when is midge season. I have no idea what a midge is but I get the feeling I don't want to know. Our time frame for this hike would be roughly the last week of May/first week of June. Does that coincide with the midge season? If so, are there are areas of Scotland that would be free of midges during this period?

As I said earlier, I spent 5-1/2 months hiking one of the longer trails here in the States so I have dealt with all manners of biting insects - gnats, mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, deer flies, etc. I want this trip to be more of a holiday, especially since my wife will be walking with me.This advice is greatly appreciated as we typically don't spend this much on vacation travel.
4shotB
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:17 pm

late May imo is probably the best time of year as the midges are not yet into full swing and the days are long. can be cold though. Midges like warm, damp and still. they will go away when the sun comes out and when there is a breeze, but the blighters will appear suddenly at dusk. If you have a midge net and some good repellant it will help, and if you are camping, choosing a slightly breezy spot up a hill is a good plan. the worst months for the midges are july and august, they first appear in late May (although I have been bitten in early May) and they are usually gone by late sept.
Midges are not dangerous, they don't carry any serious human diseases, but they can certainly drive you bonkers.
so I think in general picking late may/early june for your trip is a pretty good idea. It is also possible the weather might be better as average rainfall is I believe least in May - although I emphasise average only, the weather can basically do anything it pleases on any day of the year. make sure you have good waterproofs which can stand horizontal rain.
have a lovely time, Scotland Welcomes You :D
PS also the midges tend to be worse in the West than the East. look for the Scottish Midge Forecast starting in May or so. Glencoe is the absolutely worst midge place in Scotland!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion