walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Circuit from Invervar

Glen Lyon Circuit from Invervar

Postby achillespilot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 18/02/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After being a member here for a while, and using the website regularly, thought it was about time I contributed to the cause! So here lies my first report...

After setting off from Ayrshire at 5.45am (on a day off!!!), it was off to Glasgow first to pick up my friend, then on to Invervar for about 8.45am. Left the car park for 9ish and set off clockwise aiming for Carn Gorm first. After about 20 minutes it became apparent my new boots were going to tear my heels to shreds (more on that later), but after stopping to tape them up it was onwards and upwards...

IMG_5999.JPG
First sight of Carn Gorm

The next mistake of the day was losing my hoody somewhere on the way up Carn Gorm (if anyone finds it - black Ayr RFC - let me know!), but luckily between us we had plenty of layers to go round, plus I seem to maintain an inhumanely warm and sweaty body temperature no matter how cold it is outside.

IMG_6002.JPG
Creag Mhor and the misty valley below

IMG_6011.JPG
Practising the old self arrest

After reaching the top of Carn Gorm in around 2 hours, we stopped for some food and to take in the views. Definitely one of the clearest days I've been up the hills anyway!

IMG_6021.JPG
Ben Lawers (I think)

Next it was off to Meall Garbh, and its unsightly cairn was clearly in view as I put my crampons on (first time with proper ones) and set off down the flank of Carn Gorm. It soon became apparent they weren't required as Cameron set off sliding on his rear and made it down in about a quarter of the time I did... oh well. Took about 1 hour to get to the cairn itself, where we found the summit strangely clear of snow. Must have blown off?

IMG_6041.JPG
Meall Garbh cairn

The next part was a bit of a slog, with another Munro worthy summit at over 1000m (but not actually a Munro, presumably due to its proximity to Carn Mairg) and a fair few ups and downs. Great views though, and got to see Schiehallion, which had been a whiteout when I'd been up there a couple of months ago.

IMG_6043.JPG
Schiehallion

Once atop Carn Mairg we stopped for some more food and tried to rest my feet in preparation for the last ascent of the day.

IMG_6046.JPG
Icy view from Carn Mairg

After picking our way down the fairly steep face of Carn Mairg (looked a lot steeper looking back at it!) we dragged ourselves down to the bottom of Creag Mhor for one final push. By this time the previously hard snow had begun to melt slightly so the going was tougher, but we knew we only had one more to go. Once up on the summit it was one last rest before heading down after a hard but rewarding day's climb.

IMG_6065.JPG
Creag Mhor - final summit of the day

IMG_6074.jpg
View along Creag Mhor summit ridge

The descent was fairly uneventful, and it was a relief to get the crampons off and do some glissading! Got to the car park about 5.20 just as the sun was setting...

IMG_6092.JPG
Sunset at the car park

Hope you've enjoyed reading my first report on here, and my pics too! Here's one final one for you to 'enjoy'...

IMG_6102.JPG
A bit stingy!

...lesson learned, don't wear new boots for the first time on a 4 Munro day!
achillespilot
Hill Bagger

Munros:181   

Re: Glen Lyon Circuit from Invervar

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Lovely day for it and what a differance blue sky makes. Those blisters look painful
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am

As first reports go it was all going really well :D until that last photo :shock: Ouch :(

A good round this one :D I enjoy it all the more knowing that walkers seem so unwelcome on the estate :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:120   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby johnrich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 pm

OUCH!!
Great report and pictures, I'm hoping to have a crack at these 4 over the weekend so it's certainly whetted my appetite :D :D
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Excellent first post! If my memory serves me right, I did these four wearing my new Scarpa's for the first time. Didn't have those nasty blisters, but I do remember a week of sore feet.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 pm

oooh you did well to keep going with those heels. get compeeds!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby scooby0511 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Good report, did you call the Estate first? I'm thinking of doing these four on Saturday as they looked good from Schiehallion on Saturday their.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby achillespilot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for your comments everyone!

No didn't call the estate... If I'm honest I didn't realise there was an issue there!? Are they a bit funny about walkers then?

And yeah I put compeeds on after the first summit but my feet were too hot I think and they pretty much dissolved by the time I'd finished :?

Wore the new boots again on Ben Macdui and Cairngorm during the week and they were fine thankfully, just needed breaking in :)
achillespilot
Hill Bagger

Munros:181   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland