walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

King and Queen of An Caisteal

King and Queen of An Caisteal

Postby coachmacca » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal

Date walked: 24/02/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its been a interesting start to 2013 . We had attemped Ben Vrackie in a blizzard and failed to summit due to time and our experience & fitness, I'd done Meall nan Tarmachan with Grenfell but Sam (my wife) had been away so hadn't made it, we'd been up to the Northern Corries for training at Glenmore but again no summits due to the really bad conditions on the Sunday (we trained navigation lower down). All in all we needed a summit to feel we were back in the saddle so I had a scout about WH, checked foreacasts and decided on An Caisteal (with an option to try Beinn a Chroin if time/energy/conditions/sandwiches and coffee permitted).

Up fairly early for us (6.30 on a Saturday is not something that comes naturally :crazy: ) and grabbed the kit , sandwiches and flask and headed from Glasgow up to Crainlarich. Pretty cloudy with tiny wee flurries of snow but light if any wind so we felt optimistic.

Found the (by now) busy layby on the A82 just after Inveranan and set out over the boggiest, wettest, cow-dungiest ( :? ) field I have ever seen. Hit the underpass and started up the track proper.

Great views to start, the looming mass of brown and white mountains reminding us how big and amazing our country is!

An Caisteal Feb 23 2013 by coachmacca, on Flickr

Missed the cut off to the right at first but quickly realised and forged up the hill to meet a group of ladies up from the Lakes on their way up o we knew we were back on track . There were patches of snow and ice everywhere so we broke out the new Microspikes - I cannot recommend these enough! For anything but high ice or where there is danger these are awesome for getting across lowlying frozen terrain or up snow banks lower down! (Tiso Half price btw @ £25 :) )

Heading up we passed this weirdly weather-shapen tree and I would love anyone to explain how it got this way (a current working theory is that one of the many sheep used it for a wee seat going up the hill often and slowly bent it out of shape - we don't know what happened to said sheep but it clearly stopped and the tree recovered :roll: )

Heading up the fairly steep flank we met larger steeper patches of hard snow so of course got the axes out and had some fun going . We had run a little to the west and parallel to the WH route but tracked back to find the route more direct. we again spotted the group of ladies who were continuing to put out fitness to shame as the strode ahead. It reminded me YET again that gym fit is NOT hill fit! we have some way to go! :crazy:

Its fairly long going up to Sron Gharbh but we were now well on our way and had noticed that there was something strange happening to the sky. It was turning blue! :shock: After some panicking, praying to various gods and offering a sheep to the god of the skies thinking the world was ending we decided the place looked better with this blue sky and what appeared to be some large fiery ball in the sky and forged on , our spirits raised and the summit success seeming more likely! :wink:

Heading up further we got about half way between Sron Ghargh and Twistin hill and decided to get some coffee and seat with a wee sandwich to recharge the batteries, found a great we natural overhang on the east side of the hill and sat down to admire the view of Stob Glas (This snap is further on but paints the same picture)

By now the day was stunning, lots of blue sky, lots of sun , very little wind! In fact it was the type of day I though people only got by taking a day off mid week - I hadn't risk dream I'd get one on a Saturday! Hearts warmed as well as face we got ourselves up and moving again heading now for Twistin hill and the prize of the Castle itself!

Looking up to the prize and with Beinn a Chroin to the left

Moving more quickly now the sun was brighter and snow whiter , reminding us we really need to have sunglasses for days like this.. 8)

We made our way up to the rocky "castle" ahead of the summit and met 3 lads having a smoke and seat . They were without crampons but felt the spikes we had on (crampons in the bag) would be fine to get us round the step. They said the group of ladies ahead of us had done the same and made their way around the left side , over the exposed edge and round.. so we did the same. I have to admit any exposure and I get a bit excited - cautious but it makes me think - "this is what's its all about" :D :D

Sam was fine too (finding her head for heights still) and we made our way up and towards the summit into the sun and snow ! It was truly glorious!

Sam at the summit

Untitled by coachmacca, on Flickr
Me posing like a haddie (Had to filter to overcome the back lighting) :?

Getting a bit romantic due to how beautiful the views are :wink:

Decided after doing the math (as the US says) that as we are slower than a week in the Jail (as we Glaswegians say) that doing Beinn a Chroin was not an option we headed back snapping as we went so I'll leave you with these to finishing the tale - however we were superbly exhilarated at summiting and truly did feel like King and Queen of the Castle :D

One point to note though - coming back down Crampons in these conditions were a must! Lots of ice, having to kick in going down and around the step... was VERY glad we had them! And just as glad we had benefited from great training at Glenmore on how to move around terrain in them! :clap:

Cannot wait for next week and another one!

Angel wings in the ice rime

Last edited by coachmacca on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: King and Queen of An Caisteal

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Fab report and photos CM :thumbup: This was one of my 1st Munros and I hated that slog up Sron Gharbh :roll: but after that it was an enjoyable walk to the summit. Isn't it just great when the weather improves as the day goes on rather than vice versa 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby coachmacca » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Fab report and photos CM :thumbup: This was one of my 1st Munros and I hated that slog up Sron Gharbh :roll: but after that it was an enjoyable walk to the summit. Isn't it just great when the weather improves as the day goes on rather than vice versa 8)

Wont disagree with you on the slog lomondwalkers .. and 100% agree re weather.. usually get worse not better - could not have asked for more! :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 pm

looks like you had a great day with some crackin pics
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby coachmacca » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:34 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:looks like you had a great day with some crackin pics

We did cheers Tom :D Looking forward to lots more this year - really make the most of it!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Fabulous! 8) You lucky lot, getting an improvement in the weather! I loved Twistin Hill. It is a very entertaining ridge with the ups and downs, twists and turns, a little excitement crossing the small gap, and building anticipation for An Caisteal. It did feel like capturing a castle getting to the summit. Thanks for reminding me! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

Silverhill wrote:Fabulous! 8) You lucky lot, getting an improvement in the weather! I loved Twistin Hill. It is a very entertaining ridge with the ups and downs, twists and turns, a little excitement crossing the small gap, and building anticipation for An Caisteal. It did feel like capturing a castle getting to the summit. Thanks for reminding me! :D

I think we somehow missed the gap everyone mentions :crazy: I don't know whether it was snowed in or we somehow went round it? where is it exactly? :?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby grenfell88 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Great report mate. Love the photos. Wish I had went out at the weekend now :(
Will be another couple of weeks before I'm back out :(
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby coachmacca » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm

grenfell88 wrote:Great report mate. Love the photos. Wish I had went out at the weekend now :(
Will be another couple of weeks before I'm back out :(

Sorry mate didint mean to give you the blues ;-) Welcome to married life lol

Get her along and Sam and her can talk shoes while we forge on!

Let me know if you're stuck and you can join us if we are out..

Planning a few days in Caringorms and the Ice Factor late March we think
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Looks like a great way to get back in the saddle! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby coachmacca » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 am

Graeme D wrote:Looks like a great way to get back in the saddle! :D

Was exactly what we needed :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Sparky54 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Crackin photos!

Me and my pal bumped into you on the way down! (we had a wee border collie with us :D )

The "castle step" definitely got the adrenaline going on the way down sans crampons!

Can't wait to get back out!
Sparky54
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby coachmacca » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Sparky54 wrote:Crackin photos!

Me and my pal bumped into you on the way down! (we had a wee border collie with us :D )

The "castle step" definitely got the adrenaline going on the way down sans crampons!

Can't wait to get back out!

Ahh. .. Sparky I did wonder at the time if you might be a WH man :D How did the four legged bagger do by the end ? a good rest needed I bet!

yeah I can imagine - with crampons it was bad enough (great fun :wink: :wink: )
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 pm

You've got some beautiful shots here CM. :clap:

It's a great hill this - I took my young grandson up for his first Munro in October and he's still saying it was one of the best days of his life! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sparky54 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm

As soon as we got to the car "Ellie" curled up into a wee ball and slept all the way home! :lol:
Sparky54
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland