walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aonach mor and Grey corries

Aonach mor and Grey corries

Postby Peter277 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi looks ok ish :) on map.on friday im going over the Aonachs mor and beag and plan to camp on the grey corries ridge .any info on route down from se top off aonach beag stob coire bhealach down to the ridge spot hieght 731 ...ta for any info thoughts.next day going along ridge to stob ban.if weather ok camp or drop to bothy ta peter
Peter277
Scrambler

Munros:280   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Aonach mor and Grey corries

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Peter, I hope you have a good trip! It would be good to know how you got on with it. I have already ( :crazy: ) planned a similar trip for this summer, only the other way round.
The stubby ridge in between Coire Bhealach and Coire a' Bhuic looks very steep....
There are a few walk reports on here of this route. I found the video in this report by Dooterbang useful for getting a visual clue: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6483, watch from 2min25sec onwards.
Look forward to your report of this trip, with plenty of details and pictures of how you got down to pt731! :D
Cheers!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Peter277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Will do if I remember.might end up going other way round depends which way the weather is coming in from !!
Peter277
Scrambler

Postby electricfly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Peter, I was up on Stob Coire Bhealaich yesterday on my way up to Aonach Beag/Mor.

Here are a few snaps of the conditions which show some hefty cornicing where you want to descend. There is an abseil anchor point at SCB's edge which is used by ice climbers, but from what I could tell, it appears to drop you down slightly north of the connecting ridge you want for Sgurr Choinnich Beag/Mor.

I didn't go up to the edge of Coire a Bhuic (1st pic) so can't say for sure, but I think it might be easier to drop down from here then tack NE onto the connecting ridge.

I'd recommend taking a lengthy rope, technical axes and ice screws if you're planning on using the abseil post.

Hope this helps. :)

View over to Sgurr a' Bhuic from south slope of Stob Coire Bhealaich.

Stob Coire Bhealaich with Sgurr Choinnich Beag and Mor beyond.

View NW to Aonach Beag showing cornicing.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Peter277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm

ta for that not into winter climbing as susch so may change plan and go other way round.then id be climbing up instead.might walk from choinnich beag west to 203698 then head north to aonoches ta peter
Peter277
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion