walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bagpipes on Ben Lomond

Bagpipes on Ben Lomond

Postby munrobagpiper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 24/02/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was the first Munro of my "Munro Bagpiping" challenge, but I hope it proves to be the worst of the lot. I aim to take my bagpipes with me, any time I climb one of Scotlands highest peaks, and today was the first!

It was a dull January morning when I woke up, but the forecast wasnt too bad, and I had made plans with my friend Derek to climb Ben Lomond. Having been up before, I thought it best doing what we were familiar with, as with the possibility of snow being around, I didnt want to get stuck on a hill with my bagpipes in a rucksack haha.

The climb turned out to be rather a tough slog, with all views disappearing about about 400m, but we kept on going, more to prove to ourselves we could do it after the festive season.

Once on the summit, the wind picked up, and temperature seemed to plummet. We met several people on the way back down and they said they could only stay on the top a few minutes. With my goal of getting a picture and video piping, however, I had to stay a bit longer. We found a bit of shelter, and managed to get a tune beside the cairn for about 1 minute!!

Ben Lomond.jpg
Piping in awful conditions at the peak

In the end, it was a bit of a failure, due to the views we could have had being clouded out, but I fully intend returning in the summer. Maybe there will be a few more people to listem too.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Bagpipes on Ben Lomond

Postby gymman47 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm

You need to do same at Ben Nevis in the summer and you could make a fortune at the top !
Well done though and looks freezing with your kilt on. :shock:

JP
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Bagpipes on Ben Lomond

Postby celt54321 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

keep up the good work ,hope to see and hear you some time. :D
celt54321

Munros:50   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland