walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow In The Lakes?

Snow In The Lakes?

Postby Ibex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Does anyone know if there is there is snow on the hills, in the Lake district?

I'm tentatively thinking about making a trip up there in a few weeks. I'd love to get in the hills again, but don't fancy walking in the snow alone, as I have no experience of it. Well I say that. I've done Hellvelyn to near the top in snow and Great Gable all the way to the top but that was with someone else.

So is there snow on the hills in the Lakes at the moment?
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Snow In The Lakes?

Postby tenohfive » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Too late in the day to be of much use now, but if no-ones answered by morning this might be handy - the MWIS webcam list includes a few Wainwrights:
http://www.mwis.org.uk/webcams.php
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby stig_nest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 am

Always worth taking a peek at the met office mountain conditions page, last time I checked the exit ramps of Swirral and Striding edges were covered in compacted unavoidable snow/ice. so there's still some of the white stuff about..
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/lakedistrict/lakedistrict_latest_temp.html

There's plenty of other hills there at a lower altitude though if the high tops are snow covered and you dont fancy it. - try the North western fells perhaps..
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316

Postby denfinella » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 am

At the moment there's certainly still fairly extensive cover on some shadier slopes (enough for the local ski club to run their lift). In addition, there's been a dusting of fresh over the last few days.

However, in a few weeks anything could happen - so there could be deep fresh snow, no snow at all or anything in between by the time you arrive.

As stig said there's plenty at a lower altitude (and also plenty with less steep gradients) to keep you occupied if it does turn out snowy.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Circles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:41 am

I just spent the weekend there...there is definitely snow on the higher fells...However, I spent the weekend walking some of the very boggy Northern/Central Wainwrights (Carrock Fell, High Pike Nthn, Bleaberry Fell, High Tove, High Seat, Armboth Fell) over 2 days. The last four in particular would be awful in warmer weather, I honestly couldn't imagine doing them :( ...but on the weekend the bogs were frozen and it was a delight to just stroll over them. :D If you are a Wainwright bagger, I reckon there's no better time to knock these off
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby stig_nest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am

I walked tove/armboth in the middle of our glorious summer (ahem) - wainwright joked about thigh length gumboots... he wasn't joking.. man it was wet.
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Postby Circles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 am

I'm speechless... :clap:
How anyone could do it is beyond me, not just from a physical perspective but also mental...surprised you don't have a bout of walking PSTN where the mention of walking these fells results in a facial tick
Circles
Hill Bagger

Postby stig_nest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

well...to be fair, the four tops above Loweswater were horrendous too.. especially from Gavel Fell to Hen Comb via Floutern Cop... then there's the night I spent on The Knott where I actually felt like crying whilst putting the new tent up in horizontal driving rain...but that's a different story!!!
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Postby stevesey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

stig_nest wrote:I walked tove/armboth in the middle of our glorious summer (ahem) - wainwright joked about thigh length gumboots... he wasn't joking.. man it was wet.

Last time I was there (2010) one of my companions did vanish up his thighs in mud!

Also found a Vicar of Dibley style puddle - not sure what caught our eye - but probed it with a walking pole and it went all the way to the handle before hitting the bottom.

N.B. Three rescues on Helvellyn over the weekend -- saw photo of two choppers parked next to each other!
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122

Postby Ibex » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Makes me worry, as I did Hellvelyn in the snow a few years back with my Dad. We got near the top and decided to stop, as the top was flat and there was a big drop to one side and possibility of steping in a bit of snow and dissapearing down a massive cliff.

Sliding half way down the the hill on my bum was fun, but I had a numb arse for about 3 hours afterwards. Well worth it though.

Hope all the rescues went well.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby stig_nest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm

when I first started walking in the hills about 7 years ago I decided I'd go about it with one golden rule
- enjoy every step but do everything in my power to prevent myself becoming a mountain rescue statistic-

I know no one sets out to have an accident or get caught out by the weather, I just try to minimise the risk.
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Postby Circles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am

well...to be fair, the four tops above Loweswater were horrendous too.. especially from Gavel Fell to Hen Comb via Floutern Cop... then there's the night I spent on The Knott where I actually felt like crying whilst putting the new tent up in horizontal driving rain...but that's a different story!!!

Might have to get up there are do them while its still frozen
Helicopters were coming and going at Watendlath as well...one landed and met an Ambulance as I came down off Great Crag...was wondering what was up...hope all were ok
Circles
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Thinking of heading up in late March to do some walks. Gives me time to prepare and get a few things and also finishing watching this years 6 Nations. :lol:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby stig_nest » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am

well ibex, by late march last year i'd done about 30 wainwrights - by december i'd done em all... so there's your incentive!!! if a chunky 37 year old can do them....
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Postby Circles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am

well ibex, by late march last year i'd done about 30 wainwrights - by december i'd done em all... so there's your incentive!!! if a chunky 37 year old can do them....

Did them all in a year! :clap: Impressive!...what next? Birketts?
Very envious of those who live close enough to walk the hills more often
Circles
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion