walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lactic Acid Build Up On Muscles

Lactic Acid Build Up On Muscles

Postby Backpacker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 pm

How do fellow walkers deal with this?

I quit the fags a wee while back but noticed that my muscles hurt a lot more while I'm walking, I'm wondering if the two are related.

I've been told that because my lung capacity is getting better I'm striding out more which is putting more strain on the muscles.

I welcome all opinions
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Lactic Acid Build Up On Muscles

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi Backpacker, I doubt very much that you will be getting Lactic Acid build up in the leg muscles, just walking, maybe as you say your stride length has improved with your greater fitness and your muscles have yet to tone up to the new vigours of speed and stride length. But Lactic Acid build up you normally associate with oxygen debt, something you get when running say the 400m. I think as and when you get fitter and your legs get more used to climbing this slowly disappear. Hang on in :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Ibex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 pm

If anything, quiting smoking should improve your oxygen input, which should help your circulatory system.
The should help in moving the lactic acid from your muscles.

Having a brief warm down after walking may help. This should include some light stretching.

Any stiffness and soreness afterwards will be DOMS (delayed onset muscular soreness). Rest, and eat plenty of food with plenty of protein in it, to aid recovery. Further stretching helps, as just light exercise like jogging.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Backpacker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm asking because, when I was smoking I'd take a wee break and have 5 mins for a ciggie, the usual what smokers do but I've noticed twice this year so far that I've getting a burning sensation in my calves which is quite severe compared to last year and the year before.

I'm not to fussed as I was up and down Beinn Dubn via Midhill in 5 hours yesterday just seeing if there was ways I could relieve the pain till my muscles sort themselves out
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 am

Smoking causes Peripheral Vascular Disease, where the vessels to and from the extremities become constricted. This will take a wee while to improve, but stick with it. I wouldn't advise jogging, it's a bit of a shock to the system and wrecks the joints. Walking is just as good exercise. A good peripheral vasodilator, to be taken in the evenings, is a fine highland malt, Glen Garioch is my favourite at the moment. Of course you could opt for amputation and a course of leeches, medical opinion is divided on the matter....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Backpacker » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Smoking causes Peripheral Vascular Disease, where the vessels to and from the extremities become constricted. This will take a wee while to improve, but stick with it. I wouldn't advise jogging, it's a bit of a shock to the system and wrecks the joints. Walking is just as good exercise. A good peripheral vasodilator, to be taken in the evenings, is a fine highland malt, Glen Garioch is my favourite at the moment. Of course you could opt for amputation and a course of leeches, medical opinion is divided on the matter....

So what you're saying is that a good post walk drink is the cure :thumbup:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby stig_nest » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am

a drink is always the cure!!

you could try putting a deep heat rub on the muscles before the walk too.. its something I've done for years as part of routine and i believe it's reduced the likelihood of a muscle pull a good deal..

the o2 debt comment is correct. however, if it is a lactic build up there is some research which suggests it actually improves long term muscle endurance - though it don't much feel like it to me!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nzt2011 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 am

bovril in a flask and a packet of salted crisps...works wonders....this was medical advice when I got cramp playing rugby, usually post match...did the trick but everyone's different....
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby Circles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 am

Bovral? Think I'd prefer the burn... :crazy:
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Husband gets bad cramp. Cure is diaoralyte or similar rehydration fluid, followed by lots of water, and sometimes tonic water works as long as it has quinine in it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mrssanta » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 pm

there is a difference between cramp - painful contractios of the muscles which get hard and need massage and stretching - and general aching after a walk. When you do more than you are used to with your muscles they will probably ache afterwards and that is not necessarily harmful, it just shows you are doing more. stick with it, you will get fitter!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby hannyjohn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Try Bromelaine from health food shops. Works for me.
hannyjohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:49   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Robinho08 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am

Keep the salt levels up, as others have touched on. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion